1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEEP IT? 91 Honda RS250R

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Showtime71, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Showtime71

Showtime71 Active Member

Hey gents,
    I'm over here in Japan where 2 strokes are everywhere. Well a few years ago I ran into a more rare one....

I strickly track only Honda RS250R. After alot of research I found it was a 1991.

It was in fair shape when I got it and have since went through the motor and had to completely rebuild the front end and its now fitted with a complete radial brembo front braking system and new reworked forks. Came with the complete race kit of extra parts to include an extra cylinder, pistons, rings, complete gasket sets, sprockets, and lots more. At any rate i'm at a crossroads....

2 strokes are popular here in Japan. I dont know how popular they are in the states. Due to the birth of my son, I am thinking of letting it go. I already have 4 other race bikes and the RS is the one I ride the least. I am suppose to be coming back to the states in about 1 year. So the question is how marketable would my bike be there in the states? Would it be worth holding on to until I get there, or sell it while I am still in Japan?

Thanks for the input.

Heres a few pictures.

Attached Files:

2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

This bike is SEX!

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hate to say this but. . . if you can sell it for a decent price, sell it there. Unless you're military and the gooberment will ship it back cheap or you have access to a cheap import company/ shipper who can do the paperwork you could be in for a hassle trying to bring it home.

4. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Sell it. Honda RS250s are hard enough to sell let alone one that old here in the States. Can you even still get the bottom ends for those?

5. Showtime71

Showtime71 Active Member

Dave......

Actually I am military. And it will go where I go on Uncle Sams bill. So, shipping isnt a problem. At this point its almost at the nostalgic point you know? Wouldnt be a competitive racer anymore. Just a classic to flaunt and enjoy.

Krookslyn, I have not found one.... Only found a company that said they can rebuild / rework it if needed. Of course the cost..... But for now it runs mighty strong!

6. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Find a mid to later 90's RGV250 or NSR250 and bring that back! Especially if you dont have to pay shipping, worry about customs, etc...

7. jeff johnson 32

jeff johnson 32 Well-Known Member

Keep it

Keep it. If it is as nice in person as it is pictures the value will only continue to rise. A nice 91-92 Yamaha might bring 3k easy so a Honda would be close. Parts are much more difficult to get fo a Honda vs the Yamaha. Please feel free to drop it off here in S.W. Virginia any time! Cheers

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You might ask at USGPRU.net. It is very hard to sell 2 stroke GP bikes in the states, for a decent amount of money. I agree with what someone else said, I would want to bring over some cool 2 stroke street bikes and then get them registered here. If titled and plated here, they are worth good money. Hard to do in California, but I understand very easy to do in other states.

I would like a RG500 Gamma, I had two of them and a Honda NS400r, all street legal and plated. Then I got married and sold them to get a down payment for a house.

9. Showtime71

Showtime71 Active Member

Well over here I can sell it as is pretty easy for 400,000 ¥. Which with the yen rate converts to about $6,000. I get the feeling I should sell it here unless I plan on keeping it.
    I appreciate the inputs and suggestions.

10. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

You'd be lucky to see half that over here. Sell it and get a later model RS250 if you still want one when you're back over here.

11. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Sell there!

12. ducati366

ducati366 Member

Sell it! Bring the 6jees home