1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawasaki Triple

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mr Egg, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Mr Egg

Mr Egg Guest

I'm considering buying a 1976 Kawasaki 400 triple. I'd like to get into vintage racing next year, and a search turned up very little on whether or not this is a wise choice. From what I could decipher in the rule book, it looks like V4 or V5, unless I'm not reading it correctly. That looks like some pretty diverse machinery, and while I don't expect to be competitive right out of the gate, I don't want to be a moving chicane either. I've read interesting things about the 2 stroke triples, and this one is set up pretty much the way I like it. I've been looking at the CB350 and RZ350 as well, but nothing has fallen in my lap yet.

Thanks.
    Scott

2. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

Should be able to run in F-500. afraid it would not be conpetive at all in V5 - if your just starting out a RZ350 and even CB350 is gonna be more common to get info on and more reliable and easier on parts and compative - but 400 trippe is unque and be kinda cool to see out there.

3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Vintage Bike

An RD 400 would also be an excellent choice, plenty of parts availability and you can run it competitivly in F-RD and F-500.

There were a couple decent ones in the wera Vintage classifieds

Wera #373 F-RD/F-500 - Vintage Specialties

4. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I would advise the triple only if you are very atached to the Kawi and have the patience to put up with harder to find parts, and a tougher time getting performance out of it compared to the Yamahas. I used to have a KH400 street bike, and I liked it a lot. I like seeing the triples out on the track, but they honestly are more difficult to deal with. You have to be a real enthusiast to get along with them.

5. RB

RB Well-Known Member

These were fun bikes, surely the best of the triples. They come with a magneto CDI so you do not need a battery to make them run. The 350 had a shorter swingarm and a pipier motor... " Officer, really you can't stop the front wheel from coming up "

I would check on piston and crankshaft parts availability before I decided to race one.

Ray
    Kaw mech 73 to 83 and beyond