1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K6 600 Clutch replacement?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by piper907, Apr 25, 2007.

1. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

After changing my oil I found a couple small mushy balls of what I can only imagine to be clutch fibers??? This bike has about 2000 track miles on it and 500 street miles. sooo... my questions are....

Have any of you guys had to replace the clutch on your K6-7 600s yet?
    anyone seen clutch fibers in your oil?
    I am trying to get an Idea of how long these clutches last on the track before they have to be replaced.

AND... For those of you that have experience with replacement clutches. What is the best replacement to buy? EBC? Barnett? Vesrah? (if they make one) or should I just stick with the OEM replacement?
    I want something that is going to last:(

any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. piper907

anyone???

3. healthhut

healthhut Expert #18

from past exp. oem clutches worked best for me. as for the 06/07 clutch mine hasn't gave up yet, so good luck.

4. piper907

Thank you for the reply... so far in my searching I have heard that Vesrah fibers work well... and NOT to use barnett springs in the 06-07 GSXRs. I have also heard that Barnett fibers are not so hot unless used on a really high horsepower bike. I think I will probally just go with the OEM kit and bead blast the steels if they are still in good shape.
    BUT...Keep the feedback coming I can use all the info I can get!

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Maybe its just sealant and not anything to do with your clutch.

6. piper907

sealant???

7. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

When the case halves are put together at the factory they use RTV (or something like that) to seal them together. Its not always put on with the best of precision. Look at the cases when you split an engine sometime. The stuff that hangs on there is probably only half of what started out there. THe rest is hopefully in the oil filter.

If your clutch doesn't have any other symptoms I would leave well enough alone.

good luck

8. piper907

Thanks... that makes sense.
    I am still interested in finding out what clutch to put in my bike though. As of now I think I am just going to put an OEM kit in the spares box and wait for it to go out... (or not!)

9. 418

418 Expert #59

OEM. There is nothing wrong with the stock clutch on bikes nowadays. There is a 50/50 chance that you're going to regret putting some aftermarktet crap in there.

While I'm at it, you either need to learn how to adjust your clutch freeplay, or check for other problems with your bike. I just don't see a clutch going out on a 600cc bike after 2500 miles unless there is something really wrong, or the rider is a real proper wheelie merchant.

10. piper907

11. OFFICER737

OFFICER737 Yeah, I'm S L O W!

I am fixing to have to replace the clutch in my 06 GSXR 600. At the Nashville race I only had 1st and 2nd gear and from 10k RPMs and up 3rd was non extent and by the end of the 4,5 and 6 started doing the same. The day before the race I started the bike on the stands and with the clutch lever pulled in and when I put it in 1st gear the rear wheel would spin to 7 mph!

I called a mechanic buddy of mine that had me pull the sprocket cover to check the actuater, everything good on that side. He then had me pull the clutch cover and make the clutch was moving, good there. He then told me to run it down the street and back. That seemed to fix it and then he advised me that since the slipper clutch is a reverse torque clutch and not a true slipper then you run the risk of warping the plates with heat from gearing down and treating it like a true slipper. He suggested Barnetts but not to get the Kevlar stuff.