1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got me a '03 CR85R

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by OK Rider, Aug 6, 2020.

1. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

I weigh 218 without gear so quite heavy. I think RaceTech suggests .46 because that's the heaviest they make for that bike, I guess I"ll try 20wt as I'm pretty sure these forks are stock and not revalved.

Forgive my ignorance, why would I want shorter fork springs?

2. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

At 218 lbs., I'd go for the .50s, and probably in the 8.0 range for the shock spring. Lowering them for kart track use is pretty typical, even bikes on 12" wheels will have the forks and shock lowered internally.

3. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

Oh I see, so if you have shorter springs, your max travel is less basically, aka you have less chrome showing to begin with since the outer tube sits lower on the inner tube

4. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

What would the spacer be for?

5. Toadmeister00

Exactly, a spacer is installed inside the forks that basically reduces the extended length.

6. OK Rider

OK Rider Active Member

I guess I'll figure it once it arrives. I think I'll go with the gatorskinz ones as K-Tech seems to be out of stock on stuff for my bike.. (mainly the rear shock). Plus they use a different unit for some reason which throws me off

7. Toadmeister00

Those fork springs may be a little too short if you're not going to lower the rear at all. If you're looking at Orient Express for the K-Tech stuff, I'd call them and ask about availability.

The K-Tech spring conversions look like this:
    4.5N = .46
    5.0 N= .51
    62.5N = 6.38
    75N = 7.65
    80N = 8.2