1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jury Duty!

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Feb 25, 2008.

1. limy_1

limy_1 Crash Starter

I have been to court for 4 jury trials.
    2 - I was on the jury, for 1 I became an alternate after sitting for a week. :rolleyes:
    2 - on the prosecution as the victim.

In the first prosecution case there were 2 LEOs and a rent a cop along with
    several profesionals. Guilty!
    The second case was related to the first, I don't remember the jury make up but the same result, Guilty! :beer:

2. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Which judge?

The nearby "Bail Room" restaurant has great lunch! I can walk over and meet ya.

3. rob748

rob748 Well-Known Member

pete

just because you stopped watching Springer and flipped channels to watch Judge judy stuffing your face with cheetos is not jury duty

4. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

I'm not at liberty to say (they are still selecting the jury), but I'm down there from 11:30 till 1 for parking and lunch, then in court (for today).

I'll have my cell on me.

5. Silo Pete

shouldn't you be doing something productive?
    :D

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It's really kind of cool to see the process for real. It is boring as hell and a lot of redundancy. Jury selection is a long drawn out process. The case I was on about 3 years ago was a drug sales case and it took longer to pick the Jury than it did to convict the guy. I ended up being the Jury Foreman. We convicted the dumbass. He was killed in prison about a year ago. That kind of sucked to learn. Not sure if we put him in jail or not. We weren't part of the sentencing. I can't imagine him getting much jail time for what we convicted him of(selling counterfeit crack cocaine) unless it had happened before.

As mentioned before, it is a serious thing. There was no doubt about the guy's guilt but it's still a surreal feeling to know you are having a huge impact on someone's life like that.

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I did jury duty a few years ago and really enjoyed it. My fellow jury members were frustrating but learning more about the process by living it was cool. Bring a book and enjoy the experience. :up:

8. sizmtrz

sizmtrz Nuthin runs like a deere

well, I'm not going to get into my position on drug laws... but why does it suck that he was killed in prison? Drug dealers don't often learn new professions so he would have spent the rest of his life, less a few years to get busted again after relaese, in prison. So him being killed saved taxpayers close to a million dollars over the corse of his life in housing expenses. :wow:

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Very true. I haven't lost any sleep over it. :D

He did thank me as I walked past him after reading the guilty verdict. I think he was being sarcastic though. :p

10. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

I usually get picked to serve every 4 years or so. Still haven't made it to voir dire, they always ask who's a a business owner or stay at home parent before the end of the period, and get sent home.

11. Silo Pete

my voir dire continues @ 1:30. They brought down 20, excused 5 already and sent them back to the jury pool.

12. lrrs311

lrrs311 r6racer311

Hey Mark, i did bring a civil suit,along with my buddy to help us recoupe our damages. I will say that the whole trial process was very interesting,we were very confident going into the trial,and it was kinda exciting. It was eye opening to see some of the very dirty stunts the DA tried to pull,and he ended up getting yelled at several times by the judge. It is too bad that because of your status as a LEO,you prolly won't get picked for jury duty. I generally feel that the people who want to serve and don't try and wiggle there way out of jury duty,are the ones who will sit there and weigh the case properly.