1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JRP has a new ride

Discussion in 'General' started by random hero, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Roger,
    I think comments like that should be sent to a press outlet like RRW. It's good to see that you're paying attention to the biggest fans out there. :D

It's also good to see that you're willing to change things. I wish you wouldn't have tried so much so soon though. It seems that most of the ideas you've tried are returning to the way they were. I think most of us still want to see a REAL superbike class. I love the new DSB class, even though I don't like the Buell.

If you're reading this...let's also take the chance to say, GET RID OF THE 450 CLASS IDEA! Experimental bikes like that should be left to club racing. If you really want to build a good class, model it after the 125/250 class that WERA and USGPRU have. Have you ever visited a USGPRU event? Those kids are the future, they're faster than you can imagine, and the racing is unbelievable. As a parent of a kid racer and someone who talks with plenty of other parents...no one has any plans to ever step foot on a "450". :)

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Yes it would. It's good to have the assurance that there wasn't bias in this decision, especially coming from the person holding the ultimate responsibility for the series.

I don't think anyone here would make a blanket statement about the character traits of DMG officials, although you have to admit there are recent incidents that have brought to question certain decisions and the motivation behind them.

That said, and on a positive note, I attended the AMA event @ Millville this past weekend.

The racing was top-notch, paddock access was superb and there was a feel of professionalism that made it very impressive to the people I spoke with who were seeing their very first professional roadrace in person.

It was a well orchestrated event and I commend your staff for the work they performed.

Look forward to seeing you return next year.

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

That's all fine and good, but contrary to all early talk of "transparency" there was no explanation of what the guy did and when, in any press release or on the site, just a reference to a rule that could be applied to any number of offenses.

What I want to hear is the justification for making guys do a ride through for a "start infraction" when they were completely stationary in their box when the lights went out and everybody was supposed to leave. Because there isn't any justification.

Almost 40 years ago I wrote the proposal that was submitted to the AMA under the names of Steve McLaughlin and Hurley Wilvert, and which led to the establishment of the Superbike class. Based on that, I have more claim to knowing what Superbike racing should be, than anybody else on the planet. What we have now, the concept and execution of the class, is closer to the original intent than it's ever been.

We also have the worst officiating I have seen in 36 years. The purpose of rules and rules enforcement is, fair competition. That's not what we have. What we have is a subversion of that, enforcement for the sake of enforcement, penalties for things that did not affect the racing in any way, and in fact, we have officials guilty of actions detrimental to the sport of motorcycle racing. They should be ashamed. And fired.

4. BRKNtibia

BRKNtibia AMAfan Wannabe

Nice post by RE. Something strange is going on; over the winter I had nothing but outright hatred for the man and DMG. But with posts like these and recent actions I actually have feelings of optimism and hope for the future of the sport.

5. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

And I'm not talking about first-time or one-time actions. I'm talking about officials consistently doing the wrong thing. Race after race.

6. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I agree that the rules should be inforced equally across the board. That's why there are rules.
    Page has been in the AMA paddock for a long time and knows what to do, not knocking his skills, but he is regularly overtaken by the leaders and should try, safely, to get out of the way.....should he ride looking backwards...no. the cornerworkers should signal WELL inadvance that the leaders are coming and appropriate actions should be taken. At Mid Ohio after Josh had to check up and then go around, Page is obviously accellerating hard because his front wheel comes of the ground in the transistion and Yates gets held up.....I'm sorry but when I have been overtaken by the leaders of an AMA race....a few times unfortunatley I knew/assumed others to be there and left room inside and out and tried to stay out of the way. I was at New Jersey and did not see what happened, but if you have already been suspended once and you are just returning. You GOTTA know you will be looked at VERY close all weekend.
    The series is not perfect, I agree too much was tried too fast. I will say thought that the racing has been awesome. This weekend every race the was a battle for the lead with multiple lead changes usually every lap...esp on Sunday.
    Anyway my two cents

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think the lack of transparency is really the issue. Without it, everything is a cover-up. Mistakes will be made, sometimes repeatedly, but when the regime refuses to communicate their intentions or explain their actions, we arrive at the spot we are in now. Reminds me of another club out here on the west coast. That club is also constantly roiled in one political hot potato or another. :down:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The video from Mid Ohio looks as if JRP is antagonizing Al in such a way to make "good TV" for his web show. Was Al right in losing his temper? Nope but I can understand it.

It was chicken shit to hide behind a wall or whatever to get the video.

As for Jersey, well, I haven't seen it and from what I'm hearing should lead me to think that Peagram should have been disciplined as well. But I haven't seen it, wasn't there and I'm going from word of mouth so who knows if it's just more paddock gossip.

9. plumbergrl

plumbergrl New Member

JRP

I have been involved with motorcycle racing since 1958, my first year at daytona. I've supported and sponcered riders such as Henry Degouw, Donald Jacks, Kenny Rodreguez, Manny Manusuthakis, Eric Douglas, and AMA rider Geoff May. if the AMA organization had any brains they would heed John Ulrich, he's forgotten more about racing than they know. John has been there and done that. way to go John!
    Dennis the Plumber and Joanne Thompson

10. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

Good start, you're 1/2 way there. Now get the rest done and fire Al, like I said you should. :D

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why should he fire Al? He's the man they NEED in that position.

12. MrWheeler

Nope. He needs someone there with the ability to maintain composure and consistency, even with an a$$hole like JRP in his face.

Al's antics can damage the integrity of the series, while JRP can only f@ck up one race at a time.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Jesse, we aren't going to agree on Al. That's cool. We'll leave it it at my being right and you're being wrong. :D

14. MrWheeler

Gimme your password, then we can both be right. :p

15. caferace

caferace No.

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

-jim

16. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

It's funny, but after watching race 1, I saw a rider in blue Yamaha leathers get in the way of the lead pack somewhat and my 1st thought was "Was that JRP? That can't be good for him right now." and then I read about the suspension that night.

Did I see it correctly that JRP got lapped TWICE? At some point you just have to say "I don't belong out here" and pull off.

17. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I think not.

If JRP has been doing these things for several season's( your words RE)...why wasn't he suspended after the first time it happened this year? Why wasn't he suspended after the second occurrence? Or the third? If other riders were complaining about this why didn't you react then? That sounds a lot like selective enforcement or incompetence.

I know the qualified CCS officials who run our local race organization well. Hell they were at my wedding. If I had done something like what JRP is accused of they would be in my pits explaining my error to me without passion, prejudice or malice. They would make sure that I fully understood the implications of disobeying the rulebook, or the spirit of it. If I chose to not comply they would have me packing my shit to go home. Period. I've seen big name club racers, or local fast guys throw fits over things and the official in charge listens and then directs the conversation back to the rules. It doesn't matter who you are, nor should it.

You deal with it then and there, because of DMG's failure to act and nip it in the bud we are now at this junction.

18. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

Suprised to see Roger E's response

I was told at the track from several of the other ASB team crew members that JRP was suspended to having professional video at the track, not for blue flag infractions. A few weeks ago, un-official on board video was banned. I think I read (although I can not find anything official from AMA) that any video of official AMA activities is not allowed, in response to the first JRP video. I am sure that a fist fight between JRP and Pegram would qualify as an official AMA event :D I understood that the official justification for it is that what happens at the track is AMA property and they don't want others profiting from it.

I was standing next to Al Luddington when he was confronted by a crew member of a team (not JU's team) that was penalized for a starting infraction. I have to say Al handled it in a very professional manner, considering the emotions showed by the other guy. He, as well as the other AMA officials I have come in contact with, has been very professional any time I have had questions about a rule or situation. Seems like he got the message from his earlier suspension and has risen above the petty BS. Good on you Al.:up:

19. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

I also agree that while things aren't perfect, the racing has been much better and continues to improve.

I have chatted with many people (mostly club racers and race fans) since DMG took over and some started as outright HATERS, some just because DMG took over, others were just resistant to ANY change. Over the course of the year I have seen many of them soften their stance as they admitted that the racing has been much better and is more exciting. This year, I have seen riders be competitive where they were not just a short time ago. I do applaud the changes that have made this possible.

I agree with JU when it comes to starts. When the rider DOES NOT roll out of the box (those boxes are pretty darn small) the rider should NOT be penalized. When a team is penalized and quoted the rulebook after an inquiry/challenge and all common sense is removed from the situation in the interest of being "consistent" it makes for a very hard pill to swallow for the rider and team, especially when the penalty is a race killer. This should be an easy issue to correct and DMG would be able to "earn some points" with the teams and rider by taking action to ensure that riders are not being unnecessarily penalized.

In my opinion, there are more "tweaks" that are needed but I believe the base is there to continue building a series we can all be proud of. While I do like the changes announced over this last weekend, I'm sure that both DMG and the teams agree that more is needed to continue the improvement. One thing we can all be sure of though...it's not going to happen overnight.

There are many who are quick to criticize the rules and actions of DMG...many of those same people are slow to compliment the improvement and change. In my experience those who ONLY criticize soon are ignored so it wouldn't hurt for those that are critical to acknowledge the good being done.

I think that DMG and teams/riders need to move towards a true "partnership". The majority of us desire to have motorcycle racing that is good for DMG and the Riders/Teams, a joy to watch and is well respected...the only way that is going to happen is if everyone agrees to work together for the common goal.

Both the riders, teams and DMG need to realize that the relationship is mutually beneficial....when the riders and teams criticize DMG, it is destructive...when DMG doesn't listen and act on concerns by riders and teams it is also destructive. While criticism does occasionally inspire change...constant criticism just makes a person or organization feel as though they are "damned if they do and damned if they don't", and at that point...concerns and requests for change start to fall on deaf ears.

20. Gron4

Gron4 I'm in your house

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but how many ride troughs has Chris U had this year? Seems like more then anyone else? Your voice must be being heard too well. ha