1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Rea on actual MotoGP opportunities

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Nov 6, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Lemme guess. It would be great with the right opportunity but my deal here in KRT is pretty dope so I don’t know that it will ever happen.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not quite. Not as many offers as people have fantasized he's received and turned down over the years.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Johnny had his shot in MotoGP. Couldn't even beat VR46, so he was put back on the starter bikes.

ChemGuy and rice r0cket like this.
  5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Gerloff would blow his doors off

sill'r B sill'd and Newyork like this.
  6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Nice interview. It surprises me that someone as dominant as he has been, still has never had a bonafide offer for a GP ride.

ducnut likes this.
  7. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

perhaps the MotoGP teams don't see him as "exciting". He is very boring on the bike (though it has resulted in six straight championships). He doesn't have the Redding Persona, The Gerloff American Appeal nor the Marquez/Rossi fanboys. If it weren't for the two WSBK announcers yelling about Rea every two seconds, he'd just be another Cam Boobi-yer. Fast, Dominant but boring. Excitement sells (think Herrin's popularity vs Boobie-yer)

8. lopitt85

I can understand the argument. But I'd counter that with "when you are constantly dominating, it leads to less excitement", i.e. MM93 and the field this year without him. And I think the same will happen to MotoAmerica next year when Beabier is gone.

If someone is that dominant on a lower series, I would think they'd get the call to the higher series. I guess, to me, boring dominance doesn't equal "too boring to promote". I'd lean more towards that boring dominant guy maybe increasing the level of competition, and thereby excitement in the higher series.

BigBird likes this.
  9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

In Northern Ireland, we call lads like him "Droll" = boring, non-exciteable.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Given the amount of good young talent it just doesn't make sense to invest in anyone rea's age. Sucks but true

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

In Northern Ireland, whatever you call lads like him, no one can fucking understand you ;)

Quicktoy, Sabre699 and YamahaRick like this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, unfortunately.

Now if I was starting a team pretty much from scratch and had good equipment, he would be on my short list. Old dawg, a younger american and a third sitting in the pits, ready to ride at a moment's notice.

notbostrom likes this.
  13. lopitt85

I would think if Aprilia can go after Dovi, they could go after Rea. A rider with skills right now, who could probably keep developing the bike. Granted, Dovi does have MotoGP experience that probably makes him a better source for development

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dovi is signing with Yamaha or so the latest "rumor" is. Test rider, 3 wild cards, Substitute rider for any of the yamaha riders if they get injured and *maybe* Rossi's seat at Petronas for 2022 if he retires.

15. lopitt85

Yeah, I've been reading the same rumours. I read that Aprilia went after him but couldn't afford him.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Aprilia can't afford a dinner for four at Ruth's Chris much less Dovi.

17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

18. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

That was ice cold :crackup:

Circacee likes this.
  19. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Don't think Rea has any interest in racing in GP for Aprilia. Maybe if they paid him way more than he's getting from KRT, but he was pretty clear that he'd only go to GP if he had a good factory ride. Aprilia is just a factory ride, not a good factory ride :D

BigBird likes this.
  20. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Aprilia went for him but it wasn’t the money, he talks about riders taking a “retirement package”. He wants to be on a competitive bike if he was to go and no factory has been interested. It’s a good interview.

BigBird likes this.