1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its been real!

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Bill Cole, Sep 14, 2003.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

hey, bill.
    came across this thread whilst thinkin' of a question for ya. since you've been here recently, i'll just throw it at ya now.

???remember when your bike caught fire in the pits at monrovia, how bad did the dry chemical extinguishers mess up the bike???
    ???if you used one during an endurance stop on a big bike, i.e., fueling, how much of a mess do you think it would make(assume fuel ran inside the fairing then ignited)?
    or more to the point...how much of a bitch would it be to clean up the mess so you could ride again?

me?...trying to justify the cost of a co2 extinguisher.
    see ya,
    fred

2. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Fred, My experiance was that it was not bad at all.. Some spray nine cleaner and a sponge and all set.. Didnt stain anything or cause any other issues at all.. You DO want to get it all cleaned off.. I had no issues..

Thanks for the "great balls of fire" blast from the past...

3. fastfreddie

:p :p
    i remember it fairly well. well, the part i saw, anyway.

there was a hush over the crowd as i turned to see bill's bike coming to a rest on its side. bill was half dancing/half stumbling over/away with his baffled gaze intently focused on the little fire demon that had engulfed his ride. eerily, no one else moved. time had stood still. i blinked. i blinked, again. finally, a couple someones among the fifty or so witnesses yelled in chorus, "fire! get a fire extinguisher!"
    you woulda thought they trained for this day. i don't know how many rescuers came to the aid of the carefully prepared ysr that now lay amidst black smoke and flames but, there were too many of 'em. they douched bill's bike 'til it looked like it had been neglected in some rednecks yard and winter had set in. it was all over pretty quick.
    bill, after a shake of his head in disbelief, picked up the wounded ysr and, with all the care of a mack truck totalling a pinto, tossed it onto his garden trailer and walked away.
    there was a discernable 'spot' left behind.

4. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Fred I could not have said it better.. Those were the good old days hu!!

Note to self. Never unload a crankcase full of gas, after you have left the gas on all the way to the track, with the hot wire connected to the coil... These lessons seem to stay with us..

Thanks Fred!!

5. fastfreddie

:D
    your welcome. :cool: