1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its been real!

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Bill Cole, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

To all. I just wanted to let everyone know that I sold my bike and all my parts and will be not racing after VIR in 2 weeks. I have gotten a few E-mails re: my status and wanted to let everyone know that it is true. I am VERY happy to note that Merle4 has made a commitment on my equipment. I have known Merle for along time and I know you all will help him alot to get flying.

It is time for me to stop after 13 years of racing to move to other things. What I will miss is all of you my fellow compeditors. Thank you all for the racing experiance.

2. steveg

steveg Well-Known Member

Tell me it ain't so Bill!!! Whats the 125 class going to be without you??? Hey maybe I can now talk you into racing motocross with us, just a bunch of old 40+ riders out there banging bars.
    Bill its been great fun racing with you the last 3 years, I mean giving me all the rite setup info when I just started, you were a big help!!"YOUR THE MAN BILL " I'll keep in touch...until are paths meet again, Steve Genter.

3. dave_432

dave_432 Well-Known Member

Bill - your program and the help you've given me are the reason I'm where I'm at today. Thanks for all the help and more importantly all the experiences at the tracks. It's been a trip!

See you at VIR.

-Dave

4. YSR64

YSR64 Well-Known Member

Man, That sucks that your getting out of 125 racing. I am glad that you are selling it to a very fast racer though. Now Merle just needs to talk Tom H. into getting out of that crazy 600 novice class and on a 125. Steve Gorrell

5. Bill Cole

Steve and Dave, Hey thanks.. I wouldnt have changed anything in the world except that I seemed to have helped you all to the point that you are now kicking my a$$. You are all the best... I will make sure I show up from time to time to ensure that Dave is carrying on my off track legacy.. Dave you have your work cut out for you..

6. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

Well, I guess it's official. I'm in the mix for next year. Steve, thanks for the kind words, and I've been tellin Hughey he's goofy since he bought that diesel. But he won't ride anything with the "H" word on the tank. I'm sad to see Bill and Scott get out just as I'm getting in, but someone had to step up and help Bill fund whatever new habit...er, I mean hobby, he's getting into. Thanks, Bill. I'm sure my checkbook will hate you before all is said and done:p
    Merle

7. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

WHAT?!? Oh, I see how it is...convince me I want a 125 and then you decide to stop racing??? :D

Best of luck in whatever you are deciding to do...and thanks for all of the encouragement and advice!

Laura

8. Bill Cole

Well my friend called tonight and I told him what was going on and we are going to look at racing carts... He says they are "really cheap" to run.. Yea right... The big nut for me is a new house. Many of you know my wonderful and "tolerant" wife Karen. She has supported everything I have done for some years. Been up many a night in the hospital, the works. Well I think it is her turn. The house of her dreams. She did a beautiful job of designing it and now I have to figure out how to pay for it. Note to self "NEVER LET WIFE MEET WITH ARCHITECT WITHOUT SUPERVISION"

Merle your checkbook may hate me but when you ride the Kneedraggers.com RS125 for the first time you will love me..

LAR, you will be great. The 125 community will take great care of you... And you are on a Yamaha... How can you go wrong!

9. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

10. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

That is really cool, Bill. Tell Karen we all said thanks for loaning you to us for this long and I guess it's ok for her to have you back now. :D

Congrats on the house!

11. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Take care Bill. Thanks for all the TZ advice when I needed
    it. Now both you and SteveG are out before I could get another
    125. Try some dirtbike riding, cheaper and I think a lot less stress free. I'm sure Karen will love to build the new house. A nice present for someone who has supported you for all those years and many more.

12. killerbee609

killerbee609 Active Member

Bill, Sad to hear you won't be around anymore......I had a blast racing with you everytime. You are also quite the off-track personality as well with your knowledge and post race antics. I assure you you will be missed by everyone and and the 125 class can't afford to loose another guy. But with you and Scott both gone hopefully consistent podium's won't be so hard for me to get next season :Poke: Maybe Troy and me and some other Jersey freaks will take you and Scott out over the winter for a goodbye bash. (Just a thouhgt) Well I've blown enough smoke up your but. seriously, take care and get your ass back in the saddle asap. Matthew Hughes #609 :beer:

13. Bill Cole

You guys and gals are the best... I will be lurking for sure.. You know you just cannot stop sticking your arm that easy.. I hope I can still contribute information if I can.. Hell maybe do some tuning.. Dont know.. Going to Daytona to tune for a guy and see if he can win a Novice Championship on his 250...

Merle.. No wasnt Bill Lillis.. Havent talked to him in a long time.. He moved to the woods somewhere. I also have that YSR Superbike for sale... ANYONE??

PAR, Shush the dirt bike is a secret still... ! I also thought it was a good idea.

LAR, She is a wonderful women.. For those that know me she is also a mentally strong women.. LOL

Matthew, You certainly didnt need us to step down to get to the box. It may help now that some of this old dead wood is out of your way easier.. For sure I will be stopping by... As I noted I will be working with Chad next year so dont be suprized when you turn around and the nightmare is back...

Thank you all again for all the kind words.. It has been a wonderful experiance knowing all of you.. Please ride hard and safe!!!

14. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

And you thought quitting smoking was hard... I'll give you 4 months until your driving your truck like a maniac. 5 months until you're looking for a puppy or two to kick. My first YSR race was just about 6 months after I stopped racing with WERA for the first time in 1994.

I was really hoping we would meet up in the CORC class next year, just like the old days. I still need fast guys to chase.

I hope I see you around sometime. Good luck.

tom

15. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Heck, Bill, why quit mini racing? That's so cheap even I do it! Seriously, minis are in transition right now. The YSR fleet is long in the tooth and there's new rules coming for classes based on stuff like the new NSR50 Honda. There are still the production YSR classes, but the age and weight classes in TMGP next year are going to be supersport based, which is modded YSRs to 60cc, NSR50s, Aprilia 50s, etc. Motards are the latest thing in mini racing and modded XRs and TTRs are popular and now there's a new MuZ125 that's getting a lot of chatter, though one hasn't shown at the track here, yet. If you'd LIKE to race, I know you've been there/done that and know how cheap minis are. I'm loving it, myself. Only rode the 125 once all year. I also find it easier to afford to actually be competitive on a mini. 125s take a lot of money to really be competitive on even if you ride the wheels off it.

Just a thought or three. I quit after 11 years, myself. After 13 years out of it, I could stand it no more. Got the bug again and here I am in my fifth season back out of retirement at age 50 (nearly 51). No plans to quit again anytime soon.

16. Bill Cole

Hey Jack, Thanks for the post.. Well first it is not a money thing.. Having dont the Mini thing you are correct and some of my best racing memories are on that little machine. I actually still have my favorite YSR.. My modified.. I dont really know how bad the "bug" is going to be.. Time will tell.. I actually have an issue with some body hardware. In 2000 I REALLY broke my leg bad and shattered my kneecap. I have ALOT of hardware that, in normal cases, would be removed about a year after the surgerys. I had to leave it in just in case I fell again on the leg. It is really killing me. I have pins popping and screws backing out let alone the feeling of having that 12mm rod in my femur. I must get it out.. In doing so, and still racing (even mini's) I would put myself at great risk. If I were to break it again the Docs told me I would have a BIG problem.. And I need a knee replacement..

So all that said I think I have to just walk away.. I plan on helping Chad on his 250 for a while and maybe will do some tuning for people if they like.. The racing is one thing but the social aspect at the track is what I am really going to miss. BUT you never know.. This addiction is tough at Tom H. has pointed out.. Time will tell..

17. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Ouch. I can understand the health thing. Road racing at higher levels is way rough on the body sometimes. That's another reason I'm into the minis in my old age, now. I can crash and it don't USUALLY hurt so bad, LOL. Hopefully, I won't get a leg like that if I stick to minis, but nothing is written in stone. I have a shoulder that's still sore from a rather hard get off at Katy in the spring. Old farts don't heal like young kids I guess. Yeah, racing ain't worth risking winding up in a wheel chair. At least if you help someone at the races, you'll still get to be there and enjoy the company and see some good racing. Take care of that leg, Bill.

18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

bill, i've known you since i started racing YSR's.

i will never forget our unbelieveable battles for the win in the GTlights class. i haven't raced harder since. i will miss you on race weekends. good luck, and hopefully when the time is right, you'll come back. of course, if you can belittle yourself and ride a streetbike, i'd be honored to have you as a team challenge team-mate.

god bless, BW

19. Bill Cole

Hey Brad.. Thanks for those kind words and thoughts. I also loved those battles. Guys like you pushed me to get to where I wanted. Very good memories.

I really dont think I can come back.. It is done. Other things are calling. Racing is a dangerous game and I just cannot ride to ride. I ride to try and win.

Great to see you this weekend. I had a GREAT final race. Really happy with the result. Love the Vette!

I will be rolling to the track to hang and do some tuning.. We will cross paths again.. Promise.

Thanks Brad and be safe.. Also no street bike for me.. ! Those dam things can kill ya!

20. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Re: Re: Its been real!

I just saw an interesting poll on another board. I'll cut Bill some slack and extend my time frame from above a little.

I say Summit at the latest. Hey Bill, CORC is called Senior Superbike now...

tom