1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO - Aircooled Race Buell

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Kurlon, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Goal is to have something sorted enough by the end of August to commit to the COTA round of Super Hooligans. I've got a line on an S1(?) project in pieces, would like to find a more in one piece machine to start monkeying with now while I wait for access to the project. Budget? Yeah, I've got none 'cause I'm a typical broke racer. :D

I'm in Maine, east coast is preferable to having something that I'd need to ship. What's out there hiding under a tarp?

2. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I have a well sorted 1125CR for sale, not sure if it fits that class being water cooled? A Buell S1 is a fair start but XB Buells are a big upgrade in every respect... super cheap, even together and running.
    Would be a good choice IMO. 100-ish HP and 400-ish lbs in street trim, a decent chassis, and even though the front rotor is weird there are some tricks to upgrade it to a decent pace cheaply. Parts are easy to get and they don't mind living at redline. I'm honestly surprised I don't see more of them! The guys that race that class out here would be dominated by a stock Buell. Hmmm, oh no, what have you done!

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Sticking with an air cooled makes the tech side much easier, and they get classed separately. The 1125CR unfortunately is out for having an advertised HP of more than 125hp. (The Pan Am is getting a pass on this as a one off but is saddled with airbox restrictions to keep it in check.)

4. Cooter!

Agreed. An XB won't ever need valve adjustments, chain maintenance/sprockets, radiator flushing... shop life is good! Racing in hot weather I noticed they prefer straight 50 or 60 weight oil. Still use 'V-twin' specific though.

8-piston ZTL-2 caliper/19mm radial master from an EBR bolt right on and you can even re-use the OE braided brake line. Racing rotors both in 5mm and 6mm are available (get OE only) and I'd recommend the EBR solid rotor mounting kit and brake scoop as well. A good set of Brembo pads and its a pretty good front end after that (at least in that class, lol).

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Are the 'good' racing rotors still available for the ZTL setups? I poked around at one point and seems like they may have dried up. The S1 has two sets of Marchesinis I'd love to utilize, no easy way to do so on an XB unfortunately.

I also managed to both revive and then lock out my ye olde Bad Weather Biker's account... logged in, posted, checked my profile and tried to update my email addy to a working one. That locked the account until I get the confirmation email. Unfortunately, watching my mail server I don't see any signs that email is getting out of their system. Registration is also broken so I can't just reg a new account to ask for help... d-oh!

6. Cooter!

Such is life in the Buell wasteland. I've found actually calling matters a LOT in getting parts. You could always try LAP (the 'New Buell") or even the old EBR contact numbers.
    NCCR Sweden always has the race stuff:
    https://ebutik.nccr.se/ebr-erik-buell-racing-1/ebr-oem-original-parts/ebr-brakes/rotor-front-brake
    or sometimes St Paul Harley gets them back in:
    https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buell.myshopify.com/search?page=1&q=brake+rotor
    Or reach out to Chaz:
    https://aagaardmotofoundry.bigcartel.com/products

I have a hoard of XB, 1125, and new 1190 parts. Sorry no lone finned rotor. Got some spare complete wheel assemblies though! $$

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Delusions of money I don't have had me spreadsheeting an SB built around the last gen XB9 crank, chasing an XBRR style motor... fake money so why not the 4V heads out of Japan while I'm at it?

Slightly more serious, I see STM made a slipper for these bikes, anyone have experience with one and know how much torque/hp it can hold?

Meanwhile, still haven't pulled the trigger on anything, I hate being indecisive at times.

8. Cooter!

Theres a guy Mike Lowerey (not THAT Mike Lowerey, ;)) that built a RIDICULOUS XB9 like that. Ti everything, super lightweight rotating assy, etc. Revs like a Ferrari! IMO, unless you're making money doing this... just get on the track with a stock-ish one, it's already better than most Hp/weight of anything competitive in that class.

No experience with a slipper clutch on one, I know someone grafted an 1125 clutch cover/diaphram to an XB primary cover a while ago though. Didn't look crazy hard? Badweb I believe.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is solid logic, my problem is I've got too much spare time on my hands right now to research while I don't have a machine.

10. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Front brakes warp and are hard to find. You will need to go with a different front end for that reason. Find a 08 1200 XB upgraded engine (Crank is better)
    Head work and exhaust will boost power nicely. Replacing belt for Chain drive set up works the best.
    They are real tractors, my 12 made 95hp and 90-foot lbs. at like 3000 rpm. local guy in CT did work for me, he may still have some parts or have a whole bike? Jet Performance was his company.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

May have a line on an XB12Ss, street machine, will know more tomorrow I hope. Meanwhile it seems like any Buell's that were raced had vanished off the face of the earth. I can trip over race hawks, Ducs, FZRs, but not Buells.

12. Cooter!

Thats the problem with looking... you always find something!:D

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Hell, I’ve had bikes straight up thrown at me the moment I mentioned I was looking. We’ll just ignore the minor details that all the offers and suggestions as to what I ‘should’ be on aren’t class legal.

Muz720 likes this.
  14. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Be cool to see one raced again.

15. jeff92

jeff92 Active Member

Pm sent

Kurlon likes this.
  16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Had the XB12ss (lightning long) myself. It was a rock solid bike. I never raced it but did a few track days on it and it was pretty good. I was only mid pack intermediate rider at that point though so I was not pushing the bike by any means. It's one of the the few bikes I ever regretted selling. There is a program out there for tuning the ECM. Link to follow:
    http://www.ecmspy.com/

Kurlon likes this.
  17. Cooter!

IMO, just buy one in any configuration you need. It's been done and overdone so many times theres no gains to be had by learning to be a tuner yourself. IDSpd.com. $300.

Or ECMDroid is free on GooglePlay. A wireless bluetooth connection, and it will do the basics like fan temp, diagnostics, quick shifter etc. It will load maps too.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, not ALL Buells are gone, seems the Uyls are around New England, and THOSE are cheap for some reason.

19. Cooter!

My GF is selling her '07 XB12-Scg but its beautiful and super, super, nice. Priced accordingly and would be a damn shame to race it anyway :(
    I'll ask a buddy. He's always got some Meth-head rescue Buell in the garage:crackup:

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Buell on Methanol you say? Cleetus is that you?