1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your vote based on party loyalty, or on the best possible candidate?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Jefe, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

I'm just wondering.

Does anyone really take the time to follow up on the history of their candidate of choice, or do they blindly vote on their party of choice just because they're a Republican or Democrat?

I know, of course, everyone on the WERA BBS has thoroughly researched who they're going to vote for, and won't vote for someone they don't back just to make sure that the other candidate of their opposing party won't win. I'm talking about the general populace.

2. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Are you a pollster?

3. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

I vote for who my mom tells me to...

Unfortunately in an election where i dont like ANY of the choices im going to have to vote party line...

however... id have NO problem voting for a democrat like Bob Casey, SENIOR fromer governor of Pennsylvania where as i REFUSE to vote for republicans like Arlen Specter, senior senator state of PA...

u feel me hommies?

4. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Only for personal understanding.

I hear the party line thing. It's just too bad that we cannot seem to get someone who could possibly unite the country and help get us, as a country, on the "right track" (I know that is totally subjective), regardless of party affiliation.

5. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Usually it comes down to voting for the lesser of two evils.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

"When it comes right down to it, when the polling booth curtins are drawn, the average American votes his or her pocketbook that day."
    --Michael M. Monroe

7. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

What's the point, they're ALL shite

this time around.

It's the end of the US as we know it. Hello North America.

8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Voting along party lines is kind of like having a race bike with a switch for a throttle. It's one extreme or the other. We always end up voting for the lesser of two weevils.
    Where's the happy medium? Libertarian?
    I may vote that way this time depending on who McCain chooses for a running mate.

9. ExtraJ

ExtraJ Well-Known Member

It's been researched. People don't vote based on what is in their best interest. People vote in groups, and are motivated largely by partisan thinking.

Food for thought.. I was raised in the city by democrats, and consider myself to at least be a liberal on most social issues (although a fiscal conservative, and a gun owner.) I'm a registered democrat.

I have a friend who was raised outside the city by republicans. He is a registered republican, but when we sit down and talk politics, we can't find a single issue we disagree on.

If people were forced to vote based on what actually benefited themselves, the political landscape would be very different. And I think there would be more democrats..

10. ExtraJ

ExtraJ Well-Known Member

+1. But that's politics. Not every country has such a solid two party system.

I think religion is an even stronger example of this. But we won't go there...

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Your choices are 2 bowls of shit and the only difference is the smell.

12. x1384

x1384 Banned

so all of you are saying, 'geez, this is all we have to vote for?" well you stupid dipshits, YOU voted for the 2 candidates that are left. no wonder the rest of the world views the us as a bunch of assholes. i swear to god, most of you should not have the right to vote. its always somebody else fault. "but i didnt vote for THAT guy" it was my neighbor asshat"s fault. the old white woman is a liar. the young black guy is a nigger. the old white guy is a warmonger. its ALWAYS somebody else"s fault with you people. god dammit you fucksticks NEVER take responsibility for your actions. all you do is get on the BBS and rail at each other. YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE. you have Senator McCain and Senator Obama. deal with it. i swear, i have never seen or been associated with such a bunch of whining, self centered ASSHOLES in my life.

13. scotth

scotth Banned

jesus. acree, take note. by at least some standards, I'm, quite restrained and polite, no?

14. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

And now, after stepping in the Dungeon, you can never

make that claim again. :D

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

No shit. That's the way the Presidency has been for awhile.

On federal election I tend to vote Republican but on local it is usually up for grabs. Here in TN the democratic candidates in State elections are usually the more conservative/moderate guys. Last election I made one Republican vote for a US Congress then voted for a Democratic Governor and two Democratic TN Legislators.

16. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

This year is a toss up. I think i will close my eyes and mark

17. ExtraJ

ExtraJ Well-Known Member

How is that? The candidates disagree on most issues. I never understand when people say that.

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The Presidency doesn't really matter this year. This worthless ass Congress hasn't done a damn thing worthwhile in years. It wasn't doing much before the Democrats took the slight lead and it hasn't done shit since. Maybe if they would stick to running this country and leave the fucking professional sports alone they could do something.

This Congress is very non-partisan... they are just one big group of fuckups.

Maybe Kennedy and Byrd will retire since they are both ill. That would start us on a road to recovery. If there were some drug that would just make all of the old timers sick we could make some progress.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  19. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

If McCain goes in we will have four more years of what we have had. If Obama goes in we have the least qualified president ever in the country. No matter which person takes the win he will still have to work with a Congress that can't get their head pulled out of their ass long enough to make any good decisions.
    Do you understand that

20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I don't know if I agree with all of what you say. I do believe that Obama is an extremely naive person with feelings of grandeur and, doesn't need to be anywhere near the presidency but, I'm thinking that McCain isn't all that much like Bush in most areas. He does seem to think that continuing to try to achieve something positive with the war is needed but I believe he would try to get us out earlier than Bush. I also think he has a much better grasp of how the real world operates than Bush. He might make a pretty good president. We'll see.