1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this job candidate unqualified for the job?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gothicbeast, Oct 11, 2010.

1. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

Resume:
    1960 : Bachelor's degree in mathematics from Yale University in 1960
    1963 : Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1963
    1964-1959 : Assistant professor at the University of California, Berkeley
    1966 : Associate professor at MIT
    1960 : Full professor at MIT
    1985-86 : head of the MIT Department of Economics
    1997 : Institute Professor in of Economics at MIT
    2003 : President of the American Economic Association
    2008 : Recipient of the Robert M. Ball Award for Outstanding Achievements in Social Insurance, awarded by NASI
    2010 : Awarded the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences (along with Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides)

Job:
    Fill one of three vacancies on the Federal Reserve Board.

Reason for Disqualification:
    - Not versed enough in macroeconomics

2. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

No working expirience?

3. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I see a coupla issues with his timeline, for starters...

He went back in time from 1964 to 1959 while an asst professor at UC Berzerkeley?

He was a full prof at MIT 6 years before he was an Ass Prof?

Weird....

5. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

entire life as an academic? pass

i need soldiers who can fire a damn rifle.

6. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I rather have someone that has a proven record showing they can apply the theories the teach.

Those that can, do......those that can't, teach.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'd almost rather have an academician than the current crop of beholden bankers.

I'd prefer not having a FRB at all.

8. gothicbeast

Yeah, I should have checked my typing better...

1980 : Full professor at MIT

Sorry, It was not a chain e-mail I was cutting and pasting from. :)

9. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

As previously stated, Obama has had a Cabinet full of academics already which has done nothing for the economy. Why won't he bring in someone with real world economic experience? ie: a job?

Anothing thing is that listing the Nobel Prize on one's resume is a negative attribute to me.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

This Admin has proven that academia types suck at being in charge. None of them have ever heald a real job that relates to real life. Sure they know how to be "community organizers" and write lesson plans but none know how to manage anything.

11. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm on the fence. People with real-world experience were taught by academics. If what we're saying is true, then people pretty much tossed out everything they learned. It doesn't make sense at all.

I'm of the opinion that those who teach, can do.

edit - I've been 'off the line' for 14+ years, yet twice a year I teach and out-perform students in a basic line-essential skill.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  12. nycstripes

Buck
    not all teachers are pure academics. Some teachers have real world practical experience and often do make the best teachers/instructors.

13. gothicbeast

As a practical matter, being on the board of the Federal Reserve has more to do with Academia than working a 9 to 5 job. The Federal Reserve job focuses on leading an individual team to analyze the US economy and run statistical models to forecast different outcomes of changes in fed policy.

If you are looking for someone “Schooled” in the kind of work a member of the Fed needs to have, you would want someone who not only understands economic models, but has created new economic models themselves. The nuts and bolts of the job is exactly what Peter Diamond won the Nobel prize for.

14. nycstripes

This is like trying to sell someone a car with no engine....

15. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be either academics or work expirience? It's a board, panel, cabinet, etc (referencing Obama's choices). Why not a good mix of both to balance and offset eachother strengths and weaknesses? That is what I would rather see.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  16. nycstripes

If he was so qualified, why wasn't he selected the first time he was proposed to the job?

17. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

This is what i'm getting at in a sense.

That, and what qualifications does the good Sen. Richard Shelby have to tell someone he's not qualified? It strikes me as a baker telling a butcher he's not qualified to cut meat.

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Now that's the part that confused me. Who the hell is Shelby? What are his credentials? Does he even know what macroeconomics is? AND, if he's so fucking smart and he's in Congress why are we so damn fucked up? Was he in Congress with the Repubs were in control?

All answers that could shed light onto this situation. :D

19. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Spending your life learning and teaching theories in the vacuum of academia and creating statistical models rarely applies to the real world. Having real world experience to understand how policies and ideas effect things in the real world is much more valuable.

It is like basing the finishing order of a race based solely on who turned he fastest lap of the weekend.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You have never been in a University Metal Workshop surrounded by PhD students, have you?

I was almost killed in a shop. After that event, I was given keys to work at night because I refuse to be share the shop area with individual who put my life at risk.

In the end, I think it comes down to the individual. Generally speaking, in my profession/field, you have to draw from both, teachers that have the theory down pat as well as practical professors.

IMO - the very best professor as those that have real world experience because for some reason, case studies are easier to digest, you learn a lot about the process and evaluation of a failure/design.

I think the best teachers are those that go out into the world and come back to teach.

Slightly off subject: It is my personal opinion that our Junior High and High School student would benefit more from returning professionals than 22 year old graduates.