1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a scam ??

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannon Huffman, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Shannon Huffman

Shannon Huffman Well-Known Member

I just received sort of a strange e-mail. I've been reading on RRW & such about some of the scams going around in recent months. Here's a copy of the e-mail ...... see what you guys think.

- Shannon

I am intrested in purchasing your(Fs - 2001 Gsxr 600)in which the price is ($4500),i have a shipping agent that will carter for the shippment, i have a client in U.s.a who is owing me ($8500). And he has promise that he will be sending the check down on my behave,iwant you Have it in mind that the remaining balance of the excess fund will be wire via wester union transfer to the shipping agent who is coming for the pick up. if this mode of payment is accept by you i will like you to send your Full name and address including your cell phone number in which you will receive a cashier check drawn in america fund.
    REGARDS.
    JOHN...I WILL BE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU..

2. Shannon Huffman

The bike is already sold by the way. Has anyone else received such an e-mail about a bike they had for sale ?

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Yes, but I delete them as soon as I see that message.

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

[​IMG]

:D

Dude, these scams have been reported all over the net. Where ya been, under a rock? :confused: :Poke:

5. Shannon Huffman

HEY ! I resemble that remark ! :D

6. n2indy

n2indy Well-Known Member

just got this one

I am intrested in purchasing your(1998 Suzuki GSXR600)in which the price is
    ($4300),i have a shipping agent that will carter for the shippment, i have a
    client in U.s.a who is owing me ($8000). And he has promise that he will be
    sending the check down on my behave,i want you Have it in mind that the
    remaining balance of the excess fund will be wire via wester union transfer to
    the shipping agent who is coming for the pick up. if this mode of payment is
    accept by you i will like you to send your Full name and address including your
    cell phone
    number in which you will receive a cashier check drawn in america
    fund.
    REGARDS.
    JOHN...
    I WILL BE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU..

You would think they would at least get the english right

7. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

I got one too. Same exact wording with item and price changed. I did write back a simple reply:

"My bike is located in Spain, my friend works for FedEx and I will have the bike shipped to you FREE! He also happen to owe me some money, so I will ship the bike to you along with a cashiers check with the extra amount left over from the check I am going to receive from you. Thank you."

8. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

That guy has to emailing everyone bike trader and auto trader all the time. I got one when I was selling my car.

9. frozenguy

frozenguy Active Member

i got one..and i fell for it..almost...i did some reasearch and found out "he" owned a dealer ship that sells american cars in england...i also checked his ip and it was an ip that checked out there...so..i said i would sell to him...he sent me the tracking number but the scans didn't work..so i called fed ex...and it turns outthe check is comimng from nigeria...so i still have the check..the guy called me and i told him to fuck off...i caled the bank on the check..came from a bank in minisota from a town of 300 people...i was the 4th person that called that day!!!!!52 person to call that WEEK!!!!:eek: i was the 3rd person NOT to get scammed...its huge..i'm contacting a lot of agencys..FBI wont do anything...too little to go extradite anyone...too many scammers too..i contacted creigs list...autotrader...ebay...cycletrader....and i'm gonna contact dateline too..we have to get this scam out int he open..it works really really really really well..the banks clear it for a total of about 10-12 days....and then they come back to youy..and you ARE responsible for it..by signing the check, you state that you guarentee the funds are in ( i mean endorsing)...i had a cashiers check too...nothing is safe...just so you konw

10. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Any time anybody offers to send you a check for more than you're asking it's a scam. Plain and simple.

In order to get a cashier or certified check you have to give the money up front. It's not a loan. If you had $12,000 in the bank and were buying an $8000 bike why would you get a check for $12,000 and tell somebody to send you back the change? :confused:

11. frozenguy

frozenguy Active Member

no the whole thing is that these checks are fake..obviously...

even the cashiers checks are..obviously again...but, what they do is tell you to wire the balance to their shipiping agent...(usually just an account that they scammed someone else into opening..so their name is no where that can be traced...) so you get the fake check..deposit it..wire the balance...say 4000...then go on you merry way..then to find out 8-12 days later..checks a fake..bank took out as much of the money as they could..and demands the rest...you dont have it..and no one will help you..no one..not the FBI..the bank..no one...they say to wire the money because they dont want to make 2 checks...or other crap like that..i dunno..no one really thinks about it..they dont tell you to wire the rest of it back to them....they tell you to wire it to someone they owe money to or to a shipping agent..and believe me..it works and has worked on a ton of people...