1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a RS125 still worth it?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by definitely not a cat, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

I've never been on an rs, I'm 5'10" 175# and 52 years old, it's small but it works just fine.

2. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Was cutting the frame required?

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Yes but only the cradle

tett likes this.
  4. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

xTomKx likes this.
  5. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

I don't know what the difference is but gut feeling tells me yz250f would fit better.

6. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Wow. Very nice.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Depending on the year/generation, the WR and YZ motors are basically the same except for the e start.

8. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

This motor is an 08-09 ish, just feels big, guess I'm used to two strokes

9. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Cyndi and I have owned a '98 RS125 since 2011 - it has been her only track bike since then, so we have some time with it. The biggest problem with it, is that she loves it, and doesn't like riding anything else. She's ridden a couple R3's and other 300's, but doesn't like them compared to the 125.

Over the years I've done a couple complete rebuilds on it, and there's been a few cylinders and pistons as well, but to be honest, nothing crazy. With that said, she isn't racing this bike - it's purely a trackday bike, and she doesn't ride the piss out of it, despite my encouragement to go out there and completely rape the thing, she still takes it pretty easy. The few times I have ridden it, I do ride the piss out of it and have a blast doing it.

If you cover the bases on maintenance, use quality fuel and oil, keep the thing jetted in the ball-park (again she's not racing it and doesn't need every ounce of power - I keep the jetting a bit on the conservative side), and are good with getting it warmed up well before riding and keeping an eye on temps, it will treat you right.

Pics are Cyndi riding it, DiSalvo riding it, and me riding it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

matt2491 likes this.
  10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

You look look like me when I rode my RS: Like a monkey humping a football. Thing is, I didn't care cause it was so dang fun to ride!

I wish I could fold myself onto one these days. I know I'd love it, but I think I'd be hobbling around for days after every weekend at the track.:D

mastermind likes this.
  11. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Yup, they are a blast!!!!! :D :D :D

I really am too big for the thing..... but I can't help myself to ride it sometimes....