1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a RS125 still worth it?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by definitely not a cat, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

Hate to see a good paint job damaged

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

warclok likes this.
  2. k_cotter

k_cotter Well-Known Member

It was important to confirm that they do indeed crash well.

motion likes this.
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The guy in the background does not look impressed.

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Looks as there is a long story behind this crash

5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Me and my HS buddy were corner-marshaling our first race, WERA weekend, Gateway, 1986.

125's, tons of them, sprint race.....one goes down......my teenager brain goes into full panic on the headset/radio.....crash! crash! crash! LOL
    Anyways, went out and picked the bike up and helped the kid get back to pits. Little black kid, nice kid. I cant think of his name offhand, but he became a pro racer years later. Robbie Peterson/Patterson, maybe.....? steve(i) patterson?

6. k_cotter

k_cotter Well-Known Member

Nope, not at all actually... This kid crashed a lap previous. I just have big clunky feet and accidentally stomped on the rear break mid corner.

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Steve Patterson of Detroit. He last rode for Team Pearls when they went AMA Pro. The last time I saw him was when he was parts mgr. at Rosenau in Dearborn Mi

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

On a slightly unrelated note - has anyone attempted or know of anyone that has attempted to fit a fuel injection module (like Ktms TPI) on an RS125?? Figure it could take away the massive headache of swapping jets.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That would be a massive undertaking. KTM's TPI isn't throttle body based, it requires injector ports into the cylinder's transfer ports. You could use a Get TBI kit instead as the base, plus you'd need injectors, a pump, the sensor suite, an electrical system up to driving it all, and THEN you've got to come up with map and ignition curves to make it work. It's not impossible, but it's not a weekend project either. Going for the simpler approach I tried test fitting my 38mm SmartCarb on a friend's RS125 with the hope of a small bump in power plus no need to rejet for different weather conditions without having to screw with an EFI conversion. The float bowl setup is too deep unfortunately, won't fit.

10. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

I figure a small TBI system running on a small LI battery would be sufficient. I think a general mapping like a typical 4 stroke wouldnt be an issue outside dyno time. The big issue is adjustment for inlet temp and etc. . . .

11. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Would be better off using a fully programmable system like MegaSquirt. We used to run those on turbo cars back in the days. Power for the fuel pump would likely be the biggest drain on the battery.

12. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Bimota V Due. Substituted 'massive headache' of changing jets for......

13. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

14. warclok

warclok Well-Known Member

Cool pic, I know Peter personally, and no offense, but you should of bought those pics...

Hope you got her fixed up...

15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

If there was any use for these photos besides one online post making fun of someone, I would have bought them.

16. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

So there's a happy medium here, I have a tz125 that's I dropped a wr250 motor in,(moto 3) fast, light and what maintenance. You can beat those little motors all day long. Fuel injected starts fist bump every time.

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

18. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

I can no longer ride a RS125. My old knees just cramped up too much. However, I will tell you that one of the 'old timers' who showed up for a few races at my home track with an older RS125 was able to smoke all but one of the bikes in our Lightweight Superbike class. The class includes all the 400 Kawasaki/R3 Yamahas/CBR300 bikes. The race had around 15 entries.

19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

That doesn't surprise me at all. After the comparatively crappy start on the RS due to the lower torque it'd be a matter of picking them off one or two at a time.

20. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

is the TZ roomier than the RS?