1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone4 4.2.1 Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'General' started by f4capt, Apr 5, 2011.

1. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Recommendations to jailbreak an iphone4 with the 4.2.1 os? I have used Jailbreakme in the past on a 3G because it was just a swipe to install but they don't have the 4.2.1 version yet. I'd like to go untethered if possible. Thanks!

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

3. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

4. marshmallow

marshmallow Designated Roody-Poo

Untethered jailbreak for 4.3.1 was released yesterday.
    blog.iphone-dev.org

5. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

greenpois0n

6. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Redsnow...just google it. First four links will prob work. I just JB'd my friend's 4 an hour ago.

7. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Ok fella's forgive me. I've got the ip4, but what is the advantage of a jailbroken phone?

8. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Well, it depends on your needs. Like a typical hot rodder, some people can't leave well enough alone. There are some really nice apps available, including free tethering, etc along with the ability to customize your GUI are the top things with a jailbroken iPhone.

9. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

10. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Love the fanboys that feel they have to post their crap in another products post. Take your wannabe smart phone and start your own thread. He didn't ask how he could take a step backwards to an OS that is always playing catch up. Besides the fact that if you own a Droid, you're going to do the same thing and root it.

11. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

1) Primary reason is free unlimited GB tethering. Well more you like pay a one time, upfront $20 fee for a tethering app that will let you tether with no GB limit.. vs. $20 a month for tethering service from provider that has also comes with a GB limit.

2) Secondary reason is 'unlock' phone so it works with any GSM carrier worldwide. This is great for people who travel international, as they can just hop into any convenience store in any country and buy a SIM card that will give them a local number and cheap calling. But for those who remain in the US the vast majority of the time, its not necessary.

Beyond that, theres no real reason to JB anymore. Sure there are a few apps here and there that the supernerds may love, but the vast majority of people could care less about being able to put a moving waterfall behind their icons or blocking certain numbers. JB'ing used to provide lots of important features that were missing from the iPhone that other phones had for years. Things like Multitasking, MMS messaging, copy & paste, etc.. with ever iOS release these features have been added and more importantly even newer/more stable features were added straight from Apple themselves. Its to the point where in most cases running the latest iOS version is way more productive than JB'ing.

12. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

+1 ^^^

13. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Its a defense mechanism. They've come to realize that the $29 buy 1 get 1 free Android phone they are stuck with for the next 2 years will never be iPhone. It also doesnt help that the Android phone they bought became outdated just a month later with all new releases in the Android market. That fragmentation and constant stream of new release phones kills the value and enjoyment of owning an Android phone. And when that enjoyment is gone, what else can you do but troll iPhone threads.

I tried to tell this to a co-worker last year who was deciding between the iPhone4 and Evo.. she went with the Evo because it had a bigger screen and she could get it for $99 with Sprint. Now everyday she's complaining about the battery life.. fed up with changing out batteries everyday just to use her phone. Less than a year later all she talks about is that getting the iPhone5 on Verizon as soon as its announced.

14. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Has it been stable? I am kind of hesitant since it just came out for the new OS.

15. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

She has been using it now for 24 hours with no problems. I jail broke my own 3gs with 4.3.1 and no issues either.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not anymore :down:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-down-on-unauthorized-iphone-tethering/72673/

AT&T Cracks Down on Unauthorized iPhone Tethering
    By Nicholas Jackson Mar 18 2011, 12:15 PM ET 1

Jailbreakers are constantly on the run, always with eyes wandering, looking for those who are looking for them. So, too, are digital jailbreakers, the individuals who hack their electronic devices to work around software lock-downs -- or they should be. Using some pretty basic technology, AT&T has pinpointed the jailbreakers among its customers and is now attempting to push those customers to, you know, actually start paying for the services they're using. Some rather ominous text messages and e-mails have been sent out this morning

Here, part of the e-mail that AT&T has sent out to jailbreakers, which says, basically, "sign up for our $540/year tethering plan or we'll sign you up for it ourselves:"

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense to me. You wanna play you gotta pay.

18. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

True. I am not looking to tether via Jailbreak. Now, if AT&T would just stop dropping the calls that I PAY for I'd be happy. Seems to be a dead spot in my area, even though the phone shows full signal.

19. Agg2001

Agg2001 Well-Known Member

biteSMS is worth the jailbreak alone.

not to mention lockinfo, and sbsettings. other than that, it's mostly about "themes" and free apps (although most are only $.99, so i don't understand that part). anyways, OP, i have a 4, running 4.3.1, and jailbroke it with the recently released redsnow jb. good luck... i haven't had a problem yet.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Seems to be common with AT&T. Wasn't too bad after they consumed Cingular but it's been on the decline since.