1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPhone in England?

Discussion in 'General' started by zrx12man, Dec 8, 2010.

1. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I'm in Plymouth for school for a couple weeks and I set up an international plan with AT&T before I left. They assured me I'd be able to get a signal here, but I have nothing at all, even in downtown London. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Something with your phone? I have a friend with an AT&T national plan who uses the phone all over Europe, including England.

3. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Your going to have to call ATT. Be sure data roaming is turned off....You can find a phone card for a few pounds or skype.

4. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Watch the roaming charges with GPS/Location services turned on. AT&T tried to sack me to a $300 bill once (15 days in Germany), even though I had the thing turned off most of the time.

Every time the GPS hits the satellite (every 5 seconds or so), it's a data charge!

Sucks if you're in old European towns, for the GPS is very helpful.

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

iPhone new iOS automatically turns-off data roaming now in foreign countries or at least gives you the option. I just got back from Mexico and and made sure before I landed.

6. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

I phone will work but you have to turn on international roaming. You can also get a international text message for like 50 messages and then a billion follers each after that
    Then make sure EVERY possible way the phone can get data is turned off: maps, Internet, auto updates. They have no reciprocal data plan so you'll be charged by the byte. That scared me so much I never turned mine on.

Best advice is to put your phone in your suitcase and get a Gophone or Orange throwaway and just use it.

7. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Last year, when on the IOM, I found a store that sold used phones, got a cheap phone that came with a new card and minutes... then purchased minutes on the go.. Great for over there, but not good if you need to call home.. Some of the new phones do not use a card.. they WON'T work in England..

Ron