1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone bullshit

Discussion in 'General' started by vince69007, Aug 6, 2010.

1. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

so, i decided i would jailbreak my iphone. well, in order to do, it i figured i would do the latest update and back up my phone so i had a great restore point. anyong running the 3.whatever.whatever. KEEP IT!!!! the 4.0.1 update took 2 fuckin hours!!! soon i start the jailbrake process wish me luck.

i cant ride my bike till this damn shoulder heals so i might as well do something.

2. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Oh no, two hours.

3. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

2hrs to install a very small file to a very small computer.

it takes less time to install windows 7, hack it and update it.

4. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

Ignance is wunderbar.

5. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

im attempting to learn all this new style hand held computer shit. why dont you help me instead of just calling me ignorant?

6. Because calling you ignorant is much more entertaining.

7. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Why would you want to install windows on the iPhone? From everything I've read, windows isn't the best OS for mobile out there, it's becoming a tie between android and apple.

The biggest reason people are jailbreaking the phones is to get apps that iPhone won't support. Unless there was something specific you need or want to do, I probably wouldn't bother.

It is your phone, so if it's just an experiment in boredom and curiosity....have away at it.

8. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Where did he say he was installing windows?

9. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

I don't think he said he was installing windows on the Iphone or if thats even possible. I didn't know you can jail break 4.0 anyway. I'm upset bc my ipod touch was jail broken and I updated to 4.0 and the Spirit jailbreak method does not work on 4.0 sigh.

10. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

I have no idea what is going on in here.

11. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

^^me either

12. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

You must have a 3G? Apple actually has said "under the table" that the 3G shouldn't be upgraded to the 4.0 os. Doesn't do anything for the 3G anyways, you can't use any of the features unless you jailbreak it and there's a reason for that. The processor isn't powerful enough and your phone will slow down. So take it back to the 3.1 whatever and jailbreak it from there if you have to have wallpapers, logos, etc.

13. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

actually the 3g/3gs users were having problems with the 4.0 update....2 weeks later they released 4.0.1 (which is what im sure the op said took 2 hours to download on his dialup account). Its a lot more stable and runs fine. I own a repair business and we buy/sell 5-15 of them a day used...i jailbreak/unlock every one we sell.

14. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

3G doesn't take advantage of most of the 4.0 updates (wallpaper, multitasking, etc) while the 3GS does.

3G had a known issue with the 4.0 update taking several hours to install.

15. a2003R6Se

a2003R6Se Well-Known Member

Good luck going back to 3.x. the update does take a long time. But jailbreaking is a cinch!

Just open safari on your phone and go to http://jailbreakme.com and then do the little slide thing at the bottom of the screen. You don't even have to hook it up to a computer anymore. You can jailbreak it right from the phone!

A bit of warning though, a lot of cracked Cydia apps are not 4.0.x compatible yet. That's gonna take a little bit of time. But that being said, several are updated already.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A large part of that time is downloading a pretty large file. 2 hours isn't out of line.

17. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

My bad, I misread his post #3. :(

Dude, it's early on Friday, my brain has melted. :Poke: :D

18. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Your phone probably has 16 gigs or so of data, whcih is quite a bit fo transfer over USB.

I'm pretty sure the back up/restore process is doing a compression scheme among other tasks in the background. That can add a lot of time.

Or, you may have a cheepo, poor condition hard drive in a $500 laptop. If that's the case, the drive (and hardware that communicates with it) is going to be your weak point.

I would also seriously recommend optimizing your drive before you do this. A fragmented hard drive (even a good one) with slow this process to a crawl. Even worse, a bit of data could get out of line; screwing up your restoration process.

19. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Interesting... my upgrade on my 3GS took what I thought was FOREVER. About 20 minutes.

20. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

It didn't take 2hrs to d/l. It was a 2 hr process from start to finish to bring it upto tue 4.0.1 update. It's only got 5g of music on it. And I have an excellent computerand high speed connection. I found the information on jailbreaking 4.0.1. Going to do it to tonight.