1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone apps!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mxer485, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Mxer485

Mxer485 Well-Known Member

Quick question for everybody out there that has a iphone. What are your favorite apps. I hate buying apps and they end up turning out to be crappy. So what are sum apps that you guys couldn't do without? I know angry birds is a must have game but what are sum other good ones you guys have found? Any gd racing games? Ive done searches for the most popular apps and I try to read the reviews that peeps leave about them but sometimes I feel the results are controlled by the companys who make/sell them to get peeps to buy them. So i figured the almighty BBS would be the best place to ask. Thanks everybody in advance!!! :bow:

2. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I actually like the Asphalt and Need for Speed racing games. Good resolution and very playable. Recommend those whole heartedly. And you even get into motorcycles on Asphalt.

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Jailbreak first.

1. Cydia
    2. Installous from Cydia (Go to Cydia. then manage. then sources. then press edit (top right). then press add (top left). type in http://cydia.hackulo.us/ . when that is done just press continue anyway because it will pop up a message. then search for installous
    3. Winterboard

after that these are in no particular order.
    4. TomTom
    5. Mywi
    6. My3g
    7 roqyBT4 & Harry's laptimer pro
    8. Golfshot GPS

Many more but these are must haves IMO.

My 3GS :rock:'s My AT&T service in Tampa/St Pete/ Clearwater/Treasure Island :rock:'s

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I've been considering TomTom and heard from someone else that it was good. May have to do that one.

5. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i get 'surprise' bills from iTunes all the time for stuff i didn't even know i had. 'must be that 10 year old i have. :eek:

i'm was addicted to Stick Stunt Biker for a bit. 2XL Supercross is pretty cool. if you like Angry Birds, Fragger is pretty cool. it's like Angry Birds except you throw grenades and blow chit up.

6. Mxer485

Sorry for the stupid ? but what is jail break exactly? Im guessing it allows you to get the apps for free and how does it get around it? Thanks in advance for the info!

7. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

App Store:

Banking Apps - Bank of America, Citibank, Chase
    Shopping Apps - Amazon, Red Laser, ShopSavvy, Ebay, Paypal
    Google Apps - Google Voice, Google Translate, Google Shopping
    Social Apps - Facebook, Skype, Meebo, Twitter, Myphone+
    Music Apps - Pandora, iHeart Radio, Tunein Radio, Last.fm, Shazam
    Sports Apps - ESPN ScoreCenter, ESPN Radio, CBS Sports, Nike+, Runkeeper Pro, Fantasy football stuff
    Navigation Apps - TomTom GPS, Yelp, UrbanSpoon, Taxi Magic, Google Places, DC/NYC Subway maps
    Apple Apps - Apple Store, App Store, iTunes, Voice memos, Calculator, Compass, Safari Browser, Remote
    Utility Apps - Light4G (Flashlight), Free Level (level), Speed Test, FedEx, UPS, Find iPhone, State Farm (Insurance)
    Movie Apps - Netflix, IMDB, Youtube, Flixster, Fandango, VLC, VLC Remote
    Entertainment Apps - Engadget, NYtimes, Pulse News, Xfinity (Comcast), Photobucket, Flicker, iGunPro
    Travel Apps - DC & NYC Way (City Guides), Award Wallet (Tracks Reward points), OnTheFly (flight prices), Real Pizza (NYC Pizza Guide), Lonely Planet Travel Guides (one for each major city or country)
    Weather Apps - The Weather Channel, WeatherBug

JailBreak Apps:

Cydia, MyWiFi (Free Wifi hotspot tethering), My3G (Tricks wifi apps into thinking 3G is wifi).

8. Daekwan

Jailbreak means that your phone is no longer controlled by Apple. You can install any software you want on it. Yes that does mean free apps. But more importantly it means you can use Apps that Apple would not allow you to use. For example the jailbreak tethering app MyWiFi is a one time cost of $20 bucks.. if you had to pay AT&T or Verizon for tethering.. it would be $20 every month!

9. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Jailbreaking allows you do get apps that my not pass the app store muster, its not about getting apps for free. It frees the phone do do more the Jobs intended

That does not mean you can't download cracked apps from Installous if that's your thing, I myself believe in paying for a quality app, that however doesn't mean I didn't download a cracked TomTom 1.5 to give it a test drive before I bellied up the $49.95 for TomTom 1.6

The TomTom app is worth every penny:up:

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I liked "I Am Rich", personally.

11. Daekwan

Another vote here for the TomTom app with Live Traffic. It is one of the most stress-relieveing purchases you can ever make. Plenty of times I hear people suggest its crazy to pay $30 extra a month for a smartphone data plan.. when the reality is the time, money and effort I save by not wasting those things is well worth more than the extra $30 I pay a month.

Theres a sense of unexplainable confidence knowing that no matter where you are, who you are riding with, or where you want to go.. that as long as you have your phone.. it can get you where you need to go. From avoiding gridlock traffic on I-95, to knowing if the taxi cab driver is ripping me off, to simply just getting somewhere you've always gone *even faster* because the app showed you a different way you never knew about.. its amazing. Sure you can compare the TomTom app with a GPS system in any car.. but understand than the TomTom app is probably much more updated and refined. TomTom also allows user updates to make it even more refined.

Another great use for the TomTom app is quickly finding whats around you. Many of times I skip using the Google app, because the TomTom is so much more accurate and includes rating/info/contact for where I want to go (restaurants, shopping, gas, etc). Just Monday, the girl and I were headed to Target, only to be surprised she had a slow leak in her rear passenger tire due to a nail. She wanted to patch or replace the tire without spending big bucks. We jumped in the car and in less than 30secs TomTom app had found a used tire shop (rated 5 stars) that was right beside the Target we heading to anyways. I call the shop first, agreed on pricing for a plug or used replacement.. found out there was no wait. 15 mins later.. we recieved excellent service from a guy who first plugged the tire.. then found a second sidewall leak so replaced it with a used tire.. all for $60 bucks. He also advised her that her pads were gone in the rear on both sides. Can beat that type of service or price in the DC area.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  12. Mxer485

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

how well does Harry's work? I've been considering it. Is it fairly accurate at bike speeds

14. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

15. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

if you want to stay legit, goto freeappalerts.com they list new ones every day that were paid apps. you can also search back.

16. Mxer485

Thanks guys Im at work right now and the sever filter isn't allowing me to access the websites because there categorized as hacking sites lol. Soon as I get home I will start the process and Im sure Ill have more questions for ya! As far as the newest applications I think I should be alright I just purchased my 3gs 2 days ago and made sure no updates were needed so I think I should be alright in the area. Once again thanks again for the help any other cool apps you guys can think of def let me know:bow::bow:

17. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

For all you runners. Try the Run keeper app. Works great. Voice prompts to coach you into running fast.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

iDaveK: It calls you a dumbass, bans you and farts all over you while you're in an elevator.

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I don't like that app... :(

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

1Password to store anything that matters. Has a desktop component as well

Flixter/Rotten tomatoes, cause there's way too many sucky movies out there

Continental airlines (or any any airlines with a digital check in). F'ck the printer, just show your iPhone to security and they can scan you by.

Pandora - just plain works

Coffee Break - has a nationwide database of coffee locations, with map/directions linked in. I'm sure there's a beer/alcohol equivalent out there as well.

AirMouse - turns your iPhone into a wireless mouse with several computer functions. Great for meetings.

Angry Birds - no need to explain :D