1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iOS 7

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Anybody else install it yet? TONS of cool new changes :up:

I know it doesn't release until tomorrow lets just say it isn't hard to find if you want it.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

so they made it more like android?

3. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

But it still sucks for user customization. That's by far my biggest complaint with iOS. If I want to have another browser be the default browser, than I should be able to switch it. Same thing with Maps especially since Apple Maps BLOWS! I've managed to do this but only by jailbreaking it. Seems to me that with the anti-trust suit that Microsoft faced with pre-packaging IE on computers with Windows that forcing a user to use Apple's default apps would be similar.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah, it looks a bit more like Android, but really that's just because they did away with the plasticky glitz that accompanied all things iDevice.

It has some pretty neat new features. I've been working on it for about a month now, getting ready to release the iOS 7 version of our app.

5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah it will be cool to see how the apps take advantage of the new features and look in the next week or so.

6. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

download Google Maps, and whatever browser you want as apps. Its not difficult, and you dont need to JB to do this, opening links will still open safari, but you can get by that easily enough

7. EngineNoO9

What part of DEFAULT app did you not understand? In Android I can make any app I want to be the default. Including a new launcher. In iOS I can't change defaults. I can download any replacement I want but links you click on will always open in Safari, and maps will always open in Apple Maps. UNLESS you jailbreak and change the defaults that way. Which is what I have done cause the defaults suck. Safari is at least doable. Apple Maps is crap.

8. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Safari is good enough I don't see the issue. And apple maps has gotten MUCH better and is always improving.

Just buy an a droid if it bothers you that much

I can't wait for it

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'll wait until 7.0 is jailbroken before I install it. I'll just put it on my iPad in the meantime.

10. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

clearly I missed that part on actually being able to use a phone with apps other than the default ones. You should just buy an android, clearly this is too complicated

11. EngineNoO9

You can, but it's frustrating when you constantly have to backtrack to use what you want. No it's not complicated, but it hurts the user experience. This is the one thing Android has going for it. Unfortunately for me, iMessage is too useful for me to give up than to switch. Plus Android has its own downsides. With Android I typically stick with custom builds to avoid the built in apps (that you can't uninstall) that suck down resources. But that has its own set of issues too. So I'll stick to jailbreaks on iOS to get the user experience I want since Apple tries to force items on you.

12. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

+1....Gotta have the jailbreak first.

13. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

I really like several of the new features, as usual, looks like they took some ideas from the jailbreak community. I think one of my favorite new things are the options from the lock screen, being able to pull shortcuts for camera, flashlight, toggles is very nice. New features in the camera app including burst mode are also nice adds.

14. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Like 6.1.3, iOS7 will never be jailbroken. Apple has figured out how to prevent that since the last update.

If I am wrong and somebody knows how to actually jb 6.1.3, please let me know. All I can find is a bunch of sites that claim you can but they never work.

15. EngineNoO9

I gaurantee that by the New Year, iOS 7 will be jailbroken. The same cat and mouse game has gone on between Apple and the jailbreak community for years. They patch the holes in the current version of the OS but when they release the new version, there's new holes that are exploited.

Plus the reason 6.1.3 hasn't been jailbroken is because noone cares to even try. Why would the community even bother when every version of iOS 6 before it was jailbroken?

16. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.4, both have been JB. And the group that does most of the JB, has already cracked iOS7, but still working on packaging it to user form

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/can-ios-7-be-jailbroken-yes-it-can

18. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Every time I use the apple map its like 25 yards behind where Im actually at. Doesn't work well for turn here. Have they fixed it?

Google map seems to work great though

19. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

thanks guys. When I updated to 6.1.3 I lost my jailbreak and all the kickass coolness that came with it.

20. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

or just downgrade back to 6.1.2