1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intune or other MDM - a little help please

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerJohn011, Mar 5, 2019.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Our former small company was purchased by a massive company and now to have mobile access to email we have to install Intune.

Microsoft claims they can’t see pics or banking info yada yada yada...I couldn’t care less about 99% of what’s on my phone. I am however concerned with location and texts. The app claims they have to lock your phone to see where it is and that they can’t ever read texts, a quick search says otherwise.

I can live without mobile access to email. What’s y’alls thoughts? I’ve never put on a tinfoil hat but this just doesn’t feel right.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Big Brother is always watching. GPS in your phone, car, dog etc.
    Alexa in your home. Magicjack and internet "security" systems.
    Every privacy invasion has been gold starred by the lazy fools we live amongst.
    Good luck.

Ducti89 likes this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Is said massive company paying your cell bill?

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If your company wants you to have email access and you don't agree with them taking over your phone then have them provide you a phone. Simple. If they won't supply you a phone then you having email access isn't that important to them.

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

^^ This

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  6. GixxerJohn011

Yes but not expensing it is an option...I think.
    This is what I was thinking. When somebody needs to get ahold of me they blow up my phone, not my email.

Any thoughts on what they claim it can do vs what it actually does?

7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

That’s great and all until they make you check your email everyday in their policies

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If that's what they want then they'll supply him a phone. You can't make people do shit. I guess you can for those who aren't willing to jump back into the "job hunting" pool.

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Here is a basic breakdown of what the service can do.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/device-compliance-get-started

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  10. GixxerJohn011

For now my plan is hotspot my phone to the laptop they supply me, definitely not as convenient but worth it IMO.

11. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

For me this is simple.

Business Needs
    I recognize a businesses need to protect their data, and if you are accessing company information on a device you own then you will be beholden to their rules and processes. If you ran the company, worked in Fraud, Legal, or HR you could see where this seems like an obvious need.

Personal Needs
    That said, I also don't want my company making curloc calls that often (more for batters drain), or being able to remote into a device I own, much less lock or delete all data on it.

What I do
    If I absolutely HAVE to have email/docs on a phone for my job, and the company requires a service that allows what MDMs do I simply ask them to provide a device, or the ability to expense a device. If they don't do that, then I'm simply not available when I'm not on their network, or onsite. I did this when I worked for Big Blue, and my boss understood up until we had a system failure impact clients. Then they sprung for a phone.

Most businesses requiring mobile device control will do one or the other...
    1. Provide a company device (this is happening less these days)
    2. Provide a reimbursement for a device (more common with businesses being BYOD friendly)

While at big blue, I simply have a personal phone, and a "company phone" that I owned, but pay for with their reimbursement. It can suck to cary both, but I prefer it over having the software on my personal device.