1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Lawyers; Forum Post and Copyrights

Discussion in 'General' started by Trunxgp1224, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Another Tesla forum bitch and complaint. I see everywhere people posting in their signatures that their posts are copyrighted, any quoting of their posts outside of the forum is a violation of copyright law

Every forum I can think of is a private website but in the public domain. When I looked into copyright law it basically states that artistic and literary works; novels, poems, etc can be copyrighted. However you can not copyright an idea or expression (intellectual property), you can only copyright the process in which it is executed (instructions I guess) I don't see forum posts being viewed as artistic expression in any form.

from copyright.gov:
    what saith the beeb on copyrighting of fourm posts?

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ33.pdf

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

No lawyer, but it’s basically no different than taking pictures in public. If you don’t use them for a commercial / business purpose there is very little they can do legally from being quoted etc. Its public.

3. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

So, sue me.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd like to see some dope try that crap here. The jackals would be on him like a fat kid on birthday cake.

dtalbott, crashman, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  5. ton

ton Arf!

one's perception of the "quality" of the literary work doesn't change its protectability under the copyright act (assuming that it is an original work of authorship).

it is entirely different from taking pictures in public. that something can be seen by the public does not make it public domain.

whether quoting a post (or portion thereof) might be seen as "fair use" of the material can be a detailed inquiry.

whether there are damages sufficient to take legal action against an alleged infringer is an entirely separate matter.... (as motoboy and DaveK so eloquently suggest)

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That's about as binding as the dump trucks with the "not responsible for broken windshields" signs... If their load isn't properly secured they damn well are liable.

7. 178SV

178SV now retired...

without my express consent

Yeah, I'd take that statement really seriously. The author clearly knows what he's up to.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

ton - interesting. Why do it it if the chances to protect are slim? Prevent commercial use by <example here> Tesla? Ego? Just because?

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What happens if the forum owners post a rule saying that members forfeit ownership of any content posted on their website?

10. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Are the posts any more or less protected with the warning?

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

From http://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/copyright-laws-and-the-internet/

So, in theory, it could be. In practice, it would cost that moron a shitload of money to make his point before a court of law, so he can pretty much go f@ck himself.

ton likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

So he's saying I can't do this?

elon musk not jesus.png

Phl218 likes this.
  13. ton

ton Arf!

on the surface, it seems like internet sheeping... and ego. i suppose there are forums out there where ideas discussed may form the basis for an invention, so some record of those conversations may be perceived as valuable? (though, who does that publicly??!!)

copyright inhers to the author without the "warning", though much as with... say JU's articles on the website, the warning may serve to limit the amount of ignorant copying.

as for Papa's question, re: forum owners rules of ownership forfeit, now we're into the technicalities of whether a binding contract (to transfer copyright ownership) can be formed in that context. in theory... maybe?

panthercity likes this.
  14. Trunxgp1224

Side note, I wonder how long before someone over there finds out I make fun of them publicly in other spaces and I catch a ban.

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just show them your heroic defense of e-cars in the CA thread. All will be forgiven. :Poke::D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

17. Trunxgp1224

EVs are the future for the vast majority of vehicle segments, however, that doesn't mean Elon is hey-seuss and Tesla is coming of the rapture. In fact there are a lot of things about Tesla I don't like.

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I’m still not convinced. If I had to bet, by the time the electrical infrastructure/technology starts to catch up and the costs start to come in line for normal use, I think it’s very likely a new/better tech may well be in development or in use. But ... time will tell.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm betting on "Mr. Fusion"....

sharkattack likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm going with the wording you agree to when you sign up to post here - the material is ours. Your website, your copyright, our website, our copyright. Just as if you penned something for publication in a regular ink and paper manner. Unless otherwise agreed to by you and the publisher the material is theirs not yours.