1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inmate Early Release

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Nov 4, 2019.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Didn't Broward county do that as well ?

2. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

One would be to stop having soft ass people telling parents how they can and cant discipline their kids. Don't tell me I can't beat my kids ass but then you're mad at me when they commit crimes and get locked up.

G 97, Britt, Funkm05 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

My nephew and niece needed to see a therapist and that trick told their grand mother that she had too many rules and they shouldn't have to do chores and clean their room.

I was like this bitch is crazy and must not have kids and if she does they don't kill bugs

4. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

The two data sets utilized in the Pew Research report address that.

5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

This 100% is what is wrong with the world today. It all falls at the feet of parents that don't discipline their kids and teach them right from wrong. When actions have no consequences, mayhem ensues.

Banditracer likes this.
  6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

As you've probably figured, I'm not much on data extrapolated from such a small sample of the 334m inhabitants of this country.. to me it falls under Garbage in Garbage Out.

If this example were true, why are we experiencing "over crowding of facilities", in an already Revolving Door Justice System?

Many of my cop friends say Crime is UP... and criminals are not afraid.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

For me, the issue has multiple sides. First, people selling MJ on the side street, or partaking in any drug should be prosecuted only at a very minor level. If you're bringing in a kilo of heroin, then FU. Lock it up. However, that brings in my other two issues. We are heavy on punishment and light on rehabilitation. The idea behind "prison", in the early years of this country, was supposed to be on rehabilitating criminals. For all these people that are, relatively, light criminals, the justice system should seriously concentrate on very real rehabilitation. The flip side of that, is real punishment. If you're a serious criminal then you should be put on hard labor, not given a comfy 3 meals and a cot (along with TV, sports, ect). You should be giving back to the person(s) and country from which you've stolen. If you're violent and have seriously hurt people either financially or violently, you should be paying back that debt. Liberals would never allow that to happen. No matter how much pain and suffering the criminal has inflicted, the liberals will never allow said criminal to face any real pain. Therefore, there is no real deterrent.

With all that said, the gov't is not serious with the "war on drugs". We could very easily target and eradicate the cartels, if we really wanted to. If your country is producing this sh*t and you won't take care of it, we will; and we don't give a damn if we invade your airspace. We will drop laser guided bombs on your houses and your jungle manufacturing plants. We will send in spec ops teams and round up your leaders, then publicly put them on display in hard labor camps, in our country. No politician will grow the 'nads to do that though, because the "war on drugs" is nothing more than a shit ton of gov't power and money being spent that they will never relinquish.

Now, off my useless soapbox.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

One note: the cartels are not forcing Americans to use drugs.

9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I do agree with that; however they've taken "normal business practice" to basically running the country just like any crime lord would if able to. The recent catch and release of Chapo's kid shows that after the near war happened in the streets of Mexico. It's not really an issue of supply and demand at this point.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think that America going to war with the cartels will pay off handsomely from Mexico. But I'm not convinced that America is going to see as good a return on their investment as long as it remains a gluttonous drug using country. People will find something else to shove up their noses. Just my opinion.

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to neither agree or disagree. Just stating the obvious, if America REALLY wanted to snuff out the cartels, it could. They don't want to. The "War on Drugs" was never a war. Just an increase in gov't size and spending.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Based on their reasoning I'm good with it. They wouldn't get that sentence today so no reason to keep them in past the max of the current sentencing guidelines for their crime.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So, if they decide to reduce the penalties across the board for crimes..today, then everyone convicted of a the same crimes previously is now to be gauged by the same stick? Interesting perspective.
    You find the scales yet>? :)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes they should be. I find it interesting to not have that perspective. Just like all the death row folks got change to life when the death penalty was outlawed for a bit and never went back to death row when it went back into effect.

cpettit likes this.
  15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

First point is grand mother caring for kids. That is not your parents you worthless little pukes and you should appreciate that she is helping you and your family or GTFO. Therapists should be open season as varmints.

16. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Completely understand the reluctance to simplify a small sample as a representation. While many crimes statistics can be "misrepresented", as in the case of what you're seeing occur in Atlanta, the annual FBI serious crimes report is unique by design, in that it is relatively resistant to such political maneuvers. While lesser crimes are easily "misrepresented" or under-reported, the Bureau of Justice Statistics report is designed to capture that data set. One really needs to be careful about the methodology, but done properly, small sample sizes can be statistically valid to extrapolate from. I'm certain the BJS data report has complete transparency when it comes to their methodology.

Wouldn't necessarily correlate the "over crowding of facilities" with an increase of crime. From the data, our prison incarceration rate has been dropping every year for the past ten years. I would think that the challenge is that we've been closing prisons in order to reduce government spending, while at the same time we've been increasing the average length of prison sentences and elevating misdemeanors to felonies in a political attempt to appear tough on crime. Some prisons or sections are akin to senior nursing homes, it's shocking how many elderly prisoners we have locked up.

Wouldn't disagree with your friends in law enforcement that are seeing more crime. We live in a digitally connected world, and they're likely receiving a non-stop feed of every criminal offense that occurs in their region. Years ago, imagine they didn't have such a non-stop stream of data on issues... just like we wouldn't hear of every major crime that occurs in the nation from internet news sites or aggregators. We're constantly being fed more information than we ever had, which makes looking at the statistical data all the more important to avoid perception bias. Would presume it's similar to the perception of firearms held by the left, perception bias takes hold if we don't ground ourselves in the data.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Britt likes this.
  17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Unless I am just being obtuse, The FBI relies on Local Reporting, to gather data...again GIGO.

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

So when the "rules" get changed we need to go back in time and "fix" any changes? I wonder if we could apply the same reasoning to sports too? :confused:
    Just for the record, I'm OK with individual assessments of cases, just not the carte blanche approach.

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

But their sentence was the price of the crime at the time they committed it. Changing their sentence to match the recently changed sentencing guidelines is like buying something a year ago and then getting money back when it went on sale today...

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Kind of.
    It really depends on the crime committed
    and the reason for the sentence. You can't
    take a one-size-fits-all approach to jurisprudence.
    Mandatory sentences can create some real
    injustices and I think those should be fixed.

stk0308 likes this.