1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inmate Early Release

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear to be the case for many of the data sets for that report from what I skimmed, several use third party data extraction, which is why I think it might have inherent resiliency to local reporting manipulation. While local officials may always be capable of manipulating local figures for political/aspirational purposes, they have limited ability to manipulate data drawn from outside agencies on more serious crimes. Not stating the report is perfect, nothing is, but it does appear to have some filters for garbage data.

Wouldn't argue that a convict's harsher sentence was "unfair" in comparison with another convict's reduced sentence for the same offense, based on the notion that they each paid the price of the offense at the time they did so. Would disagree with your analogy though, as yours implies a win-loss relationship. For non-violent offenses where the victim is likely to be unconcerned at this point, individual vetting of cases versus carte blanche approach, this can be a win-win situation for all involved. Would think a more accurate analogy would be purchasing an item from a store, and the distributor announcing that a factory rebate could be applied post-sale if both parties agree to it. In that case, both the purchaser and store come out ahead. I don't believe on being soft in crime, but we have to realize the immense cost of some of these sentences. One of the most egregious cases I saw was an inmate with a habitual/repeat felon sentence of around 8 years, if I recall correctly. He had a troubled youth with a few short felony prison adventures, but turned his life around and started up some rather successful restaurants. If I recall correctly, he ended up in a shouting match with an employee in the parking lot of his business and punched the side mirror off of the guys car in anger. Was wrong and clearly a misdemeanor that warranted restitution.... but is it really in societies interest to shut down a successful business established by a felon who turned his life around? Is it really in societies interest, in an effort to have a sound bite of a prosecutor being 'tough on crime' to use habitual felon status to elevate a misdemeanor of say less than $1k in property damage, into a felony prison sentence? As a tax payer, do we really want to... or can we afford... to lock a person in prison at say $40-60k per year for 8 years.... for what purpose? Can we really expect someone who's coming out of prison to be choir boy for the rest of their life? Certainly the threshold of evidence of criminality should be reduced for repeat offenders, but mandatory increases of sentencing and escalation of chargers is a slippery slope. Certainly believe people need to be held accountable... just not sure prison sentences are always the most effective or affordable for society, particularly for non-violent crimes.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Another way to look at it is that the punishment should fit the crime. If society thinks the old penalty is to harsh and reduces it there is an argument to reduce their sentence also. But you say what about increases in penalty? Well the issue there is one of double jeopardy. That is the reason I am against the registered sex offender stuff (among a few reasons) once you serve your sentence you should not have another imposed, those convicted prior to registration laws are repunished. Of course since it will come up my other complaint is I am against red lettering. If the person is still a danger don't release them, if not set them free not branded.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Huh??? The penalty imposes both imprisonment AND registration. That's like saying convicted felons shouldn't have a record. Of course they should.

4. sheepofblue

It did not used to but was applied retroactively to many. Also the restrictions on where you can live etc. Again if they are that dangerous then keep them confined but think of the guy who got whizzing outdoors by a humorless cop and has a life sentence. There are some that are predators and should be kept looked up rather than tag a release but I suspect at least half just did something messed up and won't repeat.

Scarlet letters seem to be the very definition of unreasonable punishment just as red flag laws seem to be a total bypass of due process. Like free speech you cannot just stand up for the nice folks.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

There can and will be times when it can be abused, on the other hand, a real child molester should get a scarlet letter. Sorry if you disagree.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fixed.

crashman and Motofun352 like this.
  7. sheepofblue

No a real one should not be released period. So yes I disagree ;)

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For misdemeanor non violent stuff like they are talking about I'm fine with them doing everyone the same. If it's violent then go case by case.