1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information Theft

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Sep 26, 2023.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

In the past month, I have received notice from no fewer than four entities,
    including Medicare, that hackers have stolen some of my medical information
    from one of their vendors. In the case of Medicare, I was informed that ALL of
    my medical records along with ALL of my personal information had been stolen.
    All four entities offered free credit monitoring for a two-year period so now I
    have free credit monitoring and one million dollars of identity theft insurance
    from three different credit monitoring companies (two entities used the same
    company). Somehow, none of that makes me feel better. It seems as though
    these companies have spread my personal information all over the place without
    adequate consideration as to the possible consequences. This is bullshit.
    Is anyone else dealing with this? I've dealt with identity theft one time in the
    past and it was a nightmare that still affects me. It pisses me off that they demand
    all of this information and then take so little care safeguarding it.
    I don't see any way to protect myself from this kind of thing so I guess I'm just
    blowing off some steam. Thoughts?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Freeze your info at all 3 credit bureaus. It's doable online.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I've received the medicare provider notice as well.
    I froze my credit records a few years back when someone got a number of cards in my name and went crazy.
    Freeze your credit on all three bureaus. You can do it online and there is no cost. You can unlock the records for a specific company to check when you actually apply for credit - again all on-line.
    There's no reason for anyone to leave their credit records generally unlocked. Its like leaving your bank account numbers on the bathroom wall.

Gixxerguy855, BigBird and R Acree like this.
  5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

All my shit is floating around the dark web from a breach years ago. Did the freeze and haven't had any problems since

BigBird likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Thank you, done.

nd4spd likes this.
  7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I got a check for 15$ from a class action lawsuit over data mishandling, so you got that to look forward to , possibly:)

8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Got a check several years ago for some class action suit…don’t remember what. I do remember it was for $3.14. I never cashed it…I had a check for pie.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

π pi

but it's Mongo's house so pie is appropriate here

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I know. But pi would fall flat here, an not help one iota to derail this thread the way pie would.

BigBird likes this.
  11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

The MoveIt breach earlier this year contributed to a LOT of organizations sending out those disclosures.

12. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

IYC, I just assumed that some complete douchebag hacked your WERA credentials years ago and has been posing here ever since :)

13. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Some of us are still bitter ( and will probably remain that way ) while the GOV tries to forget the OPM debacle.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I guess I will be that guy?

Whats OPM?
    Other people money
    Office of Personnel Management is what google brought me.

15. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Service members and DOD personnel info was compromised in a breach of OPM information systems.
    google is your friend.

16. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

My data is out there thanks to the Experian breach (never agreed to let them have my social and all that), Yahoo breach, Blue Cross breach, Paypal breach, Netflix breach... Fuck, I've lost track of them all. At this point, I just assume there are a few other copies of me out there, leading more fabulous lives.

YamahaRick and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

same same.

I've been breached twice as a Fed that they've admitted to. Wife got breached through her employer. we have all kinds of free credit protection, and all they ever notify me of is when sex offenders move around my town, and usually the info is months old.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I did google it as I mentioned in my response, but since I have no idea what you are talking about, I had no frame of reference.

That's why I hate acronyms. People that use them have to assume the recipient is as knowledgeable about the subject as they are, or they just waste everyone's time.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Like all those sheep that cared so much about the management of federal interior lands a few years ago?

auminer likes this.
  20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Dude, this is the BBS for WERA. FYI, get used to it ASAP. As an Army brat, I know they will be in my vocabulary until I'm TU.

Don't you recall seeing this in the Images thread? Do you not talk to kids?

upload_2023-9-27_12-27-34.png