1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive truck/suv advice needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Fonda Dix, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

5+ year old 4Runners with 100k+ miles are going for over $20k near me. As incredibly reliable as they are, when they start dropping to near the $10k level, you’re paying quite a premium compared to other alternatives. No doubt though, they’re great vehicles.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I'm a $2000 or less for a used vehicle guy.

969 and pscook like this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Why is worse?
    Last time I was in Europe I had diesel for rental. Filled it with regular gas. After couple miles it started cutting out but I made it to friends house. We took filler hose off down at the tank and sucked all gas out. Put diesel in it and started right away and drove like it never happened.

4. Montoya

Not sure when I’ve last seen a running vehicle that could pass an inspection priced that low.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Either you're too picky or you can't drive a stick.

Chango likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just did this exercise. Bought a 2006 Subaru Forester XT. All stock with <100,ooo miles on it & a pretty detailed service history. $5,000 plus tax. I was looking for a wagon with a manual transmission... 4 wd is just a bonus. It does smoke all 4 tires if you leave with some boost...lol
    When I was looking...there were a ton of auto trans models out there.

7. TurboBlew

Im selling my 98. Its got 245,000... Im the original owner. I listed it for $2,000 just to get rid of it... thinking Im going to donate the thing. I could write a book on what people are expecting from a 21 yr old truck thats been driven (and maintained). Everything works though. :D
    First counter question I ask... was this listed under "new" vehicles??? lol

8. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

98 what??

9. TurboBlew

4 runner

10. Jaketheone46

no doubt 13g I’d expect something really nice too. If buying cash you can find nice vehicles out there. I absolutely love my 94 Ford E150 conversion van explorer conversion leather absolutely mint found it a couple years ago 19,800 original miles while sitting in a garage most of its life. 5 grand and it’s been a total joy to own. I put it up every winter and drive a beater through the salt they throw down around here.

11. Jaketheone46

Is it the 4 or 6cyl and did you manage to keep it somewhat rust free or is it all ate up?? 4x4? I’ve been tempted to pick another one up.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I’m with you, Fred.

Paid $400 for my pimp yeller Ferrari look-alike Neon. Doubled the cost buying spare wheels and snow tires for it. :D

dtalbott likes this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Didn't they make a Neon with a turbo and ~ 220 hp?

The Neon was an almost fun car, drove a ton of them as rentals and they were great to beat on and race around parking lots. The auto was slow shifting and craptastic but you could occasionally get a manual at one of the rental places and could get a discount because it was a manual.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Yeah, the SRT.

Did a dealer trade driving transport on one once. I couldn’t get my not exactly wide ass into the seat. 400 miles of sitting on one ass cheek or the other didn’t make for a comfortable ride, nor give you much impetus to hoon it up.

But yeah, it’s a hoot to drive just because it is such an obnoxiously bright pile of stereotypically shit, but it hasn’t given me a lick of trouble. Threw a CEL for O2 sensor and random misfire, apparently being the third owner means I’m the first tuner-upper. :D

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm with this guy.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I only get to whip this out every so often. Don't over think a vehicle for a kid because this is how they end up, no matter how responsible they claim to be. The best vehicle to go with is an M1 Abrams.

[​IMG]

Fonda Dix and dtalbott like this.
  17. Montoya

Just haven’t been looking. Picked up a Jeep back when they offered a lifetime warranty. While it has lousy mileage and is showing wear, sticking with a paid off vehicle under warranty until the wheels fall off.

dtalbott likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

You're welcome :D

Get snow tires if it's driven in the winter and it's better than any SUV.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

How mechanically inclined are you?

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I picked up a used 07 328i last year and have put 30K on it commuting to and from work. Not a terrible car to work on and the aftermarket parts are plentiful to keep it going. Inline 6 with a 6-Speed manual and it has everything I want and it gets great gas mileage. Picked it up from Marketplace for 4K.

BigBird likes this.