1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India? Anybody been?

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the concern Dave, yes I'll have my ducks in a row going to India/ Sri Lanka for 2 months, I hope!!!!!

2. Captain Morgan

Nassau, mostly exumas charters

kangasj likes this.
  3. Captain Morgan

How was it?? How did you find yourself there?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One thing I will tell you is do not carry anything in your pockets you do not want to lose. Wallet, cell phone, etc.
    I would get some cheap candy or some change. When you get mobbed by the kids, take it out and throw it in the opposite direction you are going.
    Don't drink the water. None of it. If you have to, make sure you buy bottled water and make sure it is really sealed. Use this water to wet your toothpaste, do not even rinse your toothbrush with the tap water and don't rinse your mouth with the tap water.
    The beer is good but when you order it, make sure they bring the bottle over to you and open it in front of you, don't use the glasses.

Give yourself a lot of extra time at the airport and even more at the train station. The process in these places are f@ckin' f@cked up.

Every place you go there will be people. Might even be one bunked with you at the hotel if your are not careful. lol!

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I went during a winter semester trip. Definitely an eye opening experience for me. Until that time my only international travel was to much of the Caribbean.
    Upon arrival in Kerala, our guide mentioned not to speak unfavorably of Saddam Hessein, since we were there just after his death.
    Also how the men and women don’t mingle like they do in the U.S. In India, the young men hang together with other men and the same thing for the young women. So I’d definitely like to know how you will deal with that issue while there.
    I’m not sure what part of India your visiting but let me know if you locate a red light district and how it compares to ours.
    Is also like to hear your views of the culinary scene. A lot of spicy. A lot vegans there as well.

6. speedluvn

Oh yeah, the exchange rate when I was there awesome! I specifically went there to purchase a diamond for my then soon to be wife and now impatiently waiting for her to be my ex-wife :rolleyes:.

7. Captain Morgan

One of my main reasons is going as a chef. I kind of do seasonal work and travel to try real food and real recipies

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I had curry for lunch. Now I'm pooping. Does that count?

9. speedluvn

They have a way with spices. Like your carribean cooking background a lot of their cuisine I encountered was pretty spicy. They used a lot of cardamom, turmeric and other spices that aren’t the usual in the USA. They also had at many restaurants entrance/exit a spice blend that included fennel seeds, cardamom and a couple other spices that was used to freshen the breath/mouth if I remember correctly.

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I wouldn't bring a lady friend with you unless you can carry a pistol while your there.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or you want a toilet, or is this a Bridesmaids situation?

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Even with a pistol you might want her to stay home.

13. eggfooyoung

Never seen Bridesmaids, so I can't answer that. I will tell you tho, that, I don't think it was the curry. Instead, it was most likely this new organic Colombian free range no steroid full roast bag of coffee beans I've been grinding the past few days. Its got my bowls and asshole tore up!

14. speedluvn

:crackup::crackup:

Bowels

15. eggfooyoung

I had shithouse polio. Cut me some slack!

cpettit likes this.
  16. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Worked in and out of there for a couple of years. Everywhere from Mumbai to Calcutta.. never could get over the absolute savagery of the place. Highly recommend Colombo or Sri Lanka and while you’re in the neighborhood-Kathmandu is one of the most badass places on earth. It’s been 20yrs since I’ve been to India, I hope to keep my ongoing streak running until death.

17. Captain Morgan

If you want to talk about food poisoning. Never eat at an Indian restaurant called Slum Dog Curry in Sihnokville Cambodia and then take an 8 hour bus ride

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you willingly walk into a restaurant with that name, you deserve to be on that bus.

bored&stroked likes this.
  19. Captain Morgan

words can not describe how long of a bus ride that was Papa!!

20. Captain Morgan

I'm a chef, after 5 months in Asia the rules went out the window