1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In SoCal for work, where to ride

Discussion in 'General' started by cfaddict, Dec 17, 2020.

1. cfaddict

cfaddict carbonated

So I'm here for a few weeks...I'll probably try to hit up Chuckwalla if it's open in Jan. Where are some good areas to ride that aren't too far a stretch...San bernadino/Riverside sort of area?

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

You're pretty much surrounded by mountains. Angeles Natl Forest, San Bernardino Natl Forest, San Jacinto Mountains, Santa Ana Mountains, and Palomar Mtn. If you want to go further south, there's also Anza-Borrego, and Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. Pick a map and a squiggly road and explore.

TurboBlew and socalrider like this.
  3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Ortega highway is close to you. Or The San jacinto moutntains through illylwild

cfaddict likes this.
  4. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

SLLaffoon nailed it. you are surrounded by great roads, the furthest being palomar/anza borrego/sunshine mountain down in san diego county.

cfaddict likes this.
  5. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

Highway 2 (Los Angeles Crest) and Ortega highway are great and very close to you.

cfaddict likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Stay off that on the weekends.

Ride up to Arrrowhead/crestline or over to big bear, head out to palm springs, indio that way and find some curvy side roads. Take 243 from banning thru San Jacinto and back around thru Hemet

Also Im sorry your in the IE. As a native of there I apologize in advance for what ever fucktiutdes you get from there.

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If you have enough time, go through Big Sur and the Pacific Coast Highway. Breathtaking scenery and mind blowing twisties !

cfaddict likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is gorgeous but isn't that a hell of a ride from SoCal?

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  9. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Crestline, ACH, GMR, Palomar, PCH.

10. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

cfaddict likes this.
  11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Did you bring your dickies shorts, black socks and flat brim hat? Good. You’re all set.

If you want to kill a half day, head south about an hour and a half, ride the Palomar mountain loop, then circle back on 79 to 371 toward Cahuila and Anza. 371 dead ends at 74. Get lunch at the paradise valley cafe assuming they’re open for takeout. Head north on 74 to Mountain Center and pick up 243 north through Mt San Jacinto and if you’re still up for it you can hit a loop through San Bernardino NF. Maybe five hours total with some stops to take in scenery.

AJ, zamboiv, Youpaiyou and 2 others like this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

An all day ride there from the IE.

13. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Just stay out of the fucking highway on your bicycle.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Towards Nevada...

zamboiv likes this.
  15. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Depending on weather ...
    Banning; SR-243
    Lake Elsinore; SR-74 (east or west!)
    Mt. Palomar; south grade or east grade.
    Anna Borrego; S-22 (aka Montezuma grade)
    Big Bear Lake ... either way.
    Angeles Creat Highway; S-2, including the canyons.
    Don’t get in a hurry on any of these, tertiary roads have no turn radius requirements, and weather can deposit mud, rocks etc.
    Weekends are generally when the accidents occur, as that is when the newbies are out. Adjust accordingly.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Do a supermoto trackday with SoCal Supermotos. Its a blast.

OGs750 and gixxerboy55 like this.
  17. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah they provide the bike at a very reasonable price.

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Riverside to Carmel on a bike? Depends. Probably 6 hours minimum and that's hauling mail on the open parts. Like 100+.
    Those are different roads. I am sure you know this, but the asker might not.

19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Well, Autoclub speedway Trackday Jan 23, Jan 24, Wera race day Jan 25. Super fun track. Palomar mountain is also the best isolated place to ride but the CHP were hanging out there atleast during summer from what i was told. Also Buttonwillow track is near you super technical and not too fast. 4 tracks immediately around you within 2.5 hours.

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

What city? That’s an ENORMOUS area. I believe San Bernardino County is the biggest county by land area in the lower 48, though most of the population lives in the west. Riverside is also ginormous. Either one covers several or all of those postage stamp states in the Northeast (combined). :moon:

If you’re in that area, Mt San Jacinto for sure. There are a couple loops and places you can connect to from there. You can also hit the eastern side of CA2/ACH. Big Bear is also a good one.

If you want a good mix of deserted roads, alpine and desert climes, hit up CA138 (Pearblossom) from I15 and go east, then keep going on CA173 past Silverwood Lake. You can ride pretty chill out there and still have fun. There also *some* services.

If you go farther east to the Palmdale area there is some really sick stuff too. I’ve barely scratched the surface out there.

You could ride out there every day for a year and not hit everything. Hell, you can ride every weekend in SoCal for a lifetime and not hit everything.

If you tell us what city you’re starting from and what time length rides you’re looking to do I can point you to some exact routes.