1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In defense of the NY Gay school

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Richard Lesher, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

2. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

I don't know what that has to do with gay schools or the other side of the political spectrum (other than it was just Democrat Politicals bitching about it), but yeah that was a pretty stupid idea.

I can understand the DARPA geeks setting up a probabilities system to track the chances of an attack somewhere. But to try to "bet" money on it. That should have been seen as unacceptable on a bunch of levels...

3. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

4. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

If anyone would actually go to the page with the details of it, you would actually see it was a decent idea, no it's not sending in spys, no it's not electronic intellegence, but it's the DOD thinking "outside the box" and trying to add another level of intellegence, the intel gained from investors on such things like oil futures, commodities, and even the weather is EXTREMELY accurate, and it's a shame that 99% of the population is so ignorant that they blow this out the water without reading past the title or the hogwash that the liberal press decides to put out.....

5. Tank Boy

doesn't matter how effective it could have been

Using prison inmates to find cures for diseases (by giving it to them, and then trying to cure them etc ala the Nazi doctors) is also an "effective" idea, but is also as morally and politically unviable.

They should have been smart enough to know that.

6. ZebProctor1

Re: doesn't matter how effective it could have been

What the hell are you trying to compare a stock market for the purpose of predicting terrrorist attacks to giving diseases to inmates???? Not even close...... this system would have added a whole other level of intellegence, I guess I can't expect anyone not working in the intellegence field to understand how important it is that you don't rely on one form of intel, that you have many forms..... and having essentually a "real time poll" for events, not unlike the one in place that predicts the weather, many times more accurate than the weather channel, would have been great, I'm sorry if you feel this is a bad idea, but if you look past the subject, the terrorism that makes everyone cringe, you would see that predicting it is the TOP priority, hunting down every terrorist in the world would be great, but it ain't going to happen, so we must try to predict when and where they will strike, and the stock market has proven itself in predicting many things with GREAT accuracy, and harnessing that power would give us a great advantage, maybe this version they were going to roll out wasn't perfect, but you have to start somewhere and improve on it....

7. Tank Boy

I understand it quite well, and theoretically, it is a good idea (though I doubt it would be practical, terrorists and stock brokers don't travel in same social circles).

The problem with it was the fact that it involved money. That people perceived it as others making money off terrorist attacks.

My analogy was that no matter how "good" an idea is, its not gonna fly if it is tainted as immoral.

8. ZebProctor1

exactly, who do you think would be making money off of it, terrorists, in an attempt to make money, they would inadvertantly give away their plans.... kinda like a 30 second reward, here's some money, and btw, a 2000 Laser guided is on the way, so enjoy it.... :clap:

9. Tank Boy

hmmm.... I think the stock movements done by Bin Laudin's money boys was a unique case, becasue they knew that the strikes at the WTC would have a major effect on the markets.

Since then, we can cut off and confiscated most of the financial assests of Al Quada. I'm sure there are still cells plotting evil deeds, but they are disconnected and operating largely independently. The next hits will come out of the blue and there will be no market or even intelligence signature to use as a predictor.

10. Richard Lesher

Actually, I had thought a little more about the insider trading possibilites.

What the CIA could do is buy futures contracts that a particular offical would be killed. Then hire a hit man to do the hit. Then with the profits of the futrues position the CIA could pay off the hit man.

What a perfect means to fund CIA operations

11. ZebProctor1

YA, you've been watching WWAYYYY too many movies....... the pilot of this was only to include major events in the middle east, and I would be willing to bet money that any government employee working for any intellegence community affiliate would definately not be able to place any money anywhere near the market....

12. Tank Boy

except:
    A) This isn't the movies, the CIA isn't full of sociopaths. Its full of career bureacrats who look after thier own butts first.
    B) Someone always finds out/blows the whistle.
    C) The CIA rarely worries for money.

13. ZebProctor1

VERY VERY VERY Rarely....... and
    D) There are about 100,000 policies and presidential directives you have to follow when dealing with something of that matter.... not to mention the collaboration you have to do with the judicial branch....

14. Richard Lesher

Oh yea, silly me. I forgot. There is no problem with ethics with any government employee. They are all altruistic saints only concerned with the good of the US.

None of them could possibly be interested in self material enrichment. Heavens no. There is none of that.

That not happening is as extreem and unrealistic as my original sarcastic remark.

It would happen if the opportunities present themselves. It is human nature. Then intel officals could actually make easy money without selling secrets :D They could sell futures, and would then only face the SEC for insider trading and not the Fed for treason.

A slap on the wrist and a fine verses capital punishment seems like a hell of a great plan to me :D

15. ZebProctor1

hhmmm, every spy caught in the US government to my knowledge is either on death row, or has life without parole...... not exactly a slap on the wrist

16. Richard Lesher

no, I meant, the choices they could now profit from.

Now they have to sell secrets = treason = death

under the futures terror market they could sell inside information = SEC = fine and probation

17. ZebProctor1

nope, DOD owned equals punishable under DOD policies and regulations, you cannot sit there and tell me that someone with the FBI and CIA would fall under SEC regulation instead of Federal Goverment regualtions... if so, you're on crack......

18. Richard Lesher

So the DOD would be the regulator for this futures/investments market? Then this really isn't a futures market. So what's the fuss, it's a great idea for investment fraud. lets get this thing back on track

19. ZebProctor1

This was a DARPA project straight out of the pentagon.... would have been owned, run, and regulated by the DOD. Trades would start at $1... like I said it was more of a real-time poll than a stock market......

20. ZebProctor1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8656-2003Jul31.html

my favorite part is where dumb bitch says:

" Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said Tuesday that there was "something very sick about it."

"And if it's going to end, I think you ought to end the careers of whoever it was thought that up. Because terrorists knowing they were planning an attack could have bet on the attack and collected a lot of money. It's a sick idea," she said."

she is a moron... that's the idea of the project, have terrorists who know they are going to attack bet on it...... jesus, she is a moron....