1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMSA: Porsche ending factory involvement

Discussion in 'General' started by Hoffman900, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Porsche is pulling out of IMSA at the end of the season with their factory 911 program (run by CORE) in the GTLM class.

Ford pulled out at the end of last year, which pretty much just leaves BMW and Corvette in the class. BMW had been pulling back on factory involvement the last couple years, so curious to see how that shakes out.

Porsche has expressed interest in the hybrid LMDh (prototype) class that is suppose to start for 2022.

https://racer.com/2020/06/04/porsche-to-end-imsa-factory-program/

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Damn

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Surprised IMSA is still around.

4. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

This stinks. The guys at CORE have become more like friends than just a customer.

ajcjr likes this.
  5. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Def sucks as a big Porsche fan but more important as a fan of racing. Hopefully other companies do not follow as well, i think next year is going to be a challenge for some racing organizations and teams.

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It was well known that Ford was a short term program. I believe it was 3 years.

Steeltoe likes this.
  7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

And why's that ?

8. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

They bring in big crowds. Petit just about sells out Road Atlanta.

9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

State of motor sports in general, the interest and money is simply not there in numbers anymore. The whys/reasons, would probably push it toward an area no longer here.

10. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I am a fan and don't pretend to understand how it works. Was listening to DWR, and one guest said something that I found intriguing: "sometimes you have to let something die before you can bring it back."

Would be sad to see it go, but if it means it can come back stronger, then maybe it's time.

imo, GTLM and prototype are not that interesting.

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Are they getting beat again and IMSA will not change the rules?

Hoffman900 likes this.