1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sure this has been discussed, buuuuuuut. School me on smokers

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Sep 5, 2017.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Ok, wanting to maybe try out a small smoker.

Don't want anything to big.

Not wanting to get top of the line 1,000 dollar smoker when I may only use it 3-4 times a year.

Not sure if I should go, electric, propane, and pellet.

Don't want something I have to babysit all day.

Ok, ready go!

2. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I have a masterbuilt electric. It works great and it can go anywhere, even the track.

3. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Based on your desires, I say go electric. My brother loves his.
    I have a medium sized Big Green Egg that I love, but it does require tending and even the medium size is about $1K once you get a few accessories. Lucky for me, mine was a gift.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

We hate that our favorite dives, that we used to be able to smoke in, now smell like dirty dish water and puke. :D

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I started with a big offset charcoal smoker, worked great but had to babysit it and add quite a bit of wood every 1.5-2 hours. Got rid of that and got a char-griller Akorn (can be found for $250 new) and it's awesome. Added a Masterbuilt electric to the stable, it was great until the digital controller started acting up (and eventually died) within a year. I replaced the controls and burner with a $15 hotplate, and aside from having to dial in the temp instead of just setting a digital control, it works fine. No more concerns about even a momentary power outage screwing up my cook. For cheap, small, and easy I'd go with a "dumb" electric or propane vertical unit. If you don't mind a little more involvement in the cooking process, get an Akorn. Bonus points for the Akorn cause it can also be used for regular grilling (gets up to 700 degrees pretty fast for searing)

thrak410 likes this.
  6. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

For me in my experience the HUGE question is when do you want to smoke. The biggest difference between the cheaper and the expensive ones is INSULATION.
    Your trying to cook at 200 to 300 degrees, most about 225F.
    The cheap ones can't make up for heat loss in the cooler temps and you will never make it to 200.
    If you say summer electric tends to be the easiest and will hold the temp the closest but once the temp starts dropping your screwed. This does also happen with the cheaper propane unit's

IF you have a Weber kettle they make a snap on unit that will maintain a decent temp, biggest drawback is long cooking times you will have to add more coals and wood.

The expensive unit's are double wall and have expensive controls to keep temps in close tolerances.
    http://amazingribs.com/ web site has decent reviews.

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I read somewhere also that if I go electric, pay attention to the watts so it will cook at the temp you want?

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I built an 'ugly drum smoker' a couple years ago (google it).

It's been fine for my needs, which is basically 6-10 smokes a year. I welded in tabs for extra cooking grates and use a pizza stone as a deflector. Also I built my fire basket way big so I can do an extended cook.

Biggest hassle is the hour or so I have to fuck with it to get the temp to stabilize, but after that it's gold. I can cook from 200-400 no problem.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have a big green egg. I like it but still grill the occasional steak or burger on a (DONT SAY IT!) gas grill. The green egg is a pain in the ass to get going for just a steak. I am now lusting over a pellet grill like the below. It will do everything my green egg will do but also heat up quick for grilling.
    https://www.firecraft.com/product/firecraft-pellet-q450-pellet-grill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'm with Tristan, my akorn has been awesome. I've had it for about 3 years and I cant imagine life without it. Just did 3 racks of ribs for 5 hours yesterday and only had to adjust the lower vent once! I dont have any of the electrical gadgets that regulate temp or anything fancy other than a wireless thermometer that cost $30. Just prep/set/monitor.

I can get it up to temp and ready to cook on in about 15mins, or I can set it low and slow. I did a boston butt once that cooked for about 13 hours. That was nerve racking cause I kept wanting to open and check it. :D

Mine has a cart built-in, I got it for $200 on sale.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...arcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I built a big bastard (never finished, but it works....) a couple years ago, but want something smaller. The big one is just as much work to do 100lbs of meat as it is to do a rack of ribs, so every time I fire it up it'$ full... I want something smaller just to do a couple racks, or wings etc. I'll be paying attention to this thread.

Buddy at work just bought a Weber kettle, and loves it. I've been thinking about a big green egg (or knockoff) but maybe the kettle might be the ticket. Gas grill is falling apart so it's time to get something else. It's fallen off the tractor forks, flew out of a pickup and landed in the boat we were towing, I'm surprised it's still standing.

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Charcoal BBQ tip of the day:

You guys need to borrow the missus' air dryer.

That gets the coals going in no time.... almost as quick as gas.

13. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I use a fire basket and it allows the air to circulate better, heating faster as a result. It isn't cheap, however.

http://www.atbbq.com/high-que-stainless-fire-basket-two-zone-cooking-big-green-egg.html

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I don't know why people trip over that. Gas grills are great some some things, charcoal for others, smokers for others still.

Absolutes can be silly.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Apparently, they turn the cab of a semi into a SuperFund site. :moon:

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Pellet probably for minimal labor. Propane isn't too far behind pellet depending on the size of the wood chip box.

I've got 3 propane smokers from Smoke Hollow. Small for camp (can do a a couple racks of ribs, 2 butts max, a 12-15# turkey, few dozen wings), medium sized for home use ( 8-12 butts, 10-12 ribs, 3 15# turkeys, 12 whole chickens) and a big one for catering gigs (15 butts, 20 chix, 6 full briskets, 15-20 ribs). Price point is great, but in cold temps (below 4o*) and windy they're not the best insulated. But that's the cost factor. Can be had for $350-$500 depending on size.

And don't let the bbq snobs talk you out of propane. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with any bbq joint on any of my meats. If you know what you're doing you can make GREAT bbq with any heat source. Get GOOD thermometers for the oven and the meat. And follow the temps.

Traeger makes a good pellet.

I'd never get an electric. I'd draw the line there.

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Masterbuilt 30" electric here. Only issue is that it'll only reach 275 which makes chicken skin kinda rubbery (gas grill is good for crushing it up after the smoke though).

I found it worked best for my uses including winter. Plug in, set and add chips between every half hour and 45 minutes or so. No bottle to run out halfway through a cook and not having to add coals is nice.

19. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Rs,or Tz depending on what you plan on doing with it.
    Remove the motor,and install green egg.
    Port the exhaust into egg,and you will have the coolest smoker around.
    Tzr,or Rgv if you plan on camping with it.
    See what I did there??

20. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member