1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to help...

Discussion in 'General' started by Justin Nelson, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTDT and seen many many groups who know they can do it better come and go. Seen it ruin roadracing in parts of the country for decades too as there just weren't enough racers to split them up.

We have a great online registration process but no way we can go totally digital at all of our events across the country. Don't have the money for the equipment to make sure we can serve a couple hundred plus riders at our large events along with running multiple events on any given weekend. Don't have the personnel to set it all up and make sure there is a solid local network at every track - because not all of them have even mediocre wifi or internet access. That means more equipment and more setup. We still need to be able to run things if we get there and there is nothing available but asphalt to race on - and we can do that.

I have no idea how practice at a racing event can be anything but goal oriented... That thought process has always confused me. You work on speed, bike setup, tire setup, laptimes, passing people, brake markers, tons of things.

Gino230, Ducti89 and fastfreddie like this.
  2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Back when we raced minis, more than a few "fast" young street guys made a quick cameo appearance. The older guys were fine getting beaten by 8 year olds, but the 20 somethings just couldn't handle it.

Ducti89 and TurboBlew like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I didn't word that properly. It is part of the reason for the popularity of trackdays. Most of it is absolutely what you've said, hell the majority of people I got into racing with would never have raced if there were trackdays at the time. They just wanted to ride on tracks not necessarily race.

tl1098 and Gino230 like this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

In my experience, I've noticed two things concerning trackdays and/or racing.
    Trackdays, I don't crash...

Phl218 and wheelz96 like this.
  5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Better marketing doesn't mean a better end product. It's just marketing.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

So true.

Gino230 likes this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a first. Most of us sucked as novices too before we didn't. Racing faster guys just seemed the logical progression.

The most fun I ever had racing was my first couple of expert seasons. Working my way from fighting for a top 10, to winning races against guys I thought were gods as a novice was the best drug I've ever tried, and that experience is lost if you quit at the first ass kicking.

...then the Rob Jensens and Jeff Woods would show up and suck my paint off on the outside of some impossibly terrifying corner, reminding me that I still can't ride.

scottn, t11ravis, Gino230 and 4 others like this.
  8. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Better/more marketing usually means more shit product to cover overhead and keep price "competitive". Usually the more I see something advertised the less I want to even look at it. Anyways lets not hijack thread with this lol

a 9 year old motoamerica kid passed me one day on his 400 at a track day lol, very effortless motion it seemed, I found his dad after to try and catch him to ask questions. Only way to get fast is to ask ask ask think think think do do do repeat repeat repeat more more more

I always remind myself I aint that good no matter what, I always consider myself a beginner when the lid comes down, then watch the times drop, that becomes the norm, then still a beginner (there's always someone there to remind me of it), and so on.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Gino230 and Senna like this.
  9. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

It's frustrating and invigorating all at the same time. As soon as you think you're getting close to the top of the heap someone will be by shortly to remind you that you're nowhere near it.

Gino230 and JBraun like this.
  10. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

reminds me of the first track day I ever did with my taped up headlights, sintered street pads, and a two piece suit... Saw a CR go by me with his hands on his hips, I must have raved about this god like figure for an hour on the way home

scottn likes this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Sorry, that wasn't my intent. I was trying to say that Evelyne and Sean run a great event. They're equipped to be flexible to the track's logistical limitations based on experience, not their limitations.

FrancisA likes this.
  12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Until Putnam is back on the schedule there will be no meaningful change.

13. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

No I'm just sayin "hijack" cause if pickled dick saw the post he'd start it up again lol. But yes, agreed.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for IRP.

5axis and SteveThompson like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Did you hear what they did to Indy Ducati?

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Do tell. It's another rainy day and I need to be entertained.

17. SteveThompson

No. What happened?

I saw Matt a few weeks before the world started to shut down and he didn't say anything.

18. SteveThompson

I like how this guy thinks.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The owners kid who is running the joint (and is the one who told us the gate absolutely could not be opened early that started the shitstorm we had) went bugfuck crazy on them. So after many years of supporting the track they are done with Putnam.

20. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

= FMRRA.

That is one thing I'll never give them a break on is the rider safety that FMRRA seems to neglect.

I still have sidewall information on my helmet from the tire wall at PBIR because of one of their racers parking it in a turn.

I had a choice to plow the other rider or stand it up and try to ride it out,,,,, I didn't admit defeat until about 5ft from the tire wall and finally said to myself this is gonna hurt.

Got tread pattern on the back of the helmet and "RS " something something info from the sidewall as I cartwheeled down the tire wall. Screenshot_20200707-140119.png Screenshot_20200707-140106.png

scottn, LossPrev and Gino230 like this.