1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to help...

Discussion in 'General' started by Justin Nelson, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Justin Nelson

Justin Nelson Member

I don't want to be the guy that comes to the table with a problem. I want to bring the opportunity for improvement and then make a suggestion.

Looking at the grid sizes from Barber, something has to change. I love WERA, I want to see it do well, soo...

1. We have GOT to get more of a social media presence. Does WERA even have an Instagram page? I don't know. If not, I will make one and run it. Just give me the thumbs up.

2. This is a big one. Look at the lap times. You have racers in Novice doing 30's at Barber (not hating, well done) and folks in Expert doing 40's/high 30's. SUGGESTION: Based off your best lap time from day 1, determines your grid location for day 2, regardless of Novice/Expert status. Split ALL racers in half. Half go in wave 1. Half go in wave 2. Using Barber as an example... If I am a Novice Racer and I do a 1:30 on day 1, I might be on the front row of a race on day 2. If I am an expert racer and my best lap time in a race is 1:41, I could be at the back of wave 2 on day 2. Will there be details to work out? Yes, but it could easily be done and be more fun for everyone! Everyone is always asking how grid locations gets determined. There you go.

How often does WERA get these "suggestions"? Probably all of the time. Before you say "oh this can't be done. It won't work" or you just don't want to try it, I leave you with this thought...

Blockbuster told Netflix that the whole "online video" thing would never work. Who is laughing now?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

YouTube?

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I say Amazon Prime is > than YouTube

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I can agree about your social media points that Florida race group tends to make stuff up but they do a good job with social media so it seems to help them get riders.

Your point about laptimes is a complicated one, should novices be doing 30s? no not really and the bump process could use some tweaks. but being a expert doesn't always have anything to do with laptimes ether so its somewhat tricky.

The biggest thing that hurt grids is probably that n2 was at roebling and then Road Atlanta on the same weekend, along with trackdays at vir also.

Jon Wilkens and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Three for one entry fees.

badmoon692008 and TurboBlew like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Free pies with every race entry.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

2up sooperbike overall championship points...

also FREE BEER (tomorrow in small font)

badmoon692008 and rd400racer like this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Getting or giving?

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Lap times do not (and have never) been a big factor in determining novice/expert status, and they shouldn't start now. Your other idea is good.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup, the distinction between expert and novice ain't all about laptimes.

The race weekends are a tight schedule. The suggestion of, essentially, "qualifying" adds time to an already full clock. Based on past threads concerning this topic, it ain't gonna happen, no how, no way.

*As it has to do with "bumping", that may happen if/when a rider informs the appropriate official that they want to be observed so that an assessment can be made. That request happens before practice.

Social networks? No personal comment. However, I can see that any participation by WERA would likely be multiple regurgitations of info that is found here. Again, the clock is running.

*:rtfrb:
    (Always wanted to use that one). :D

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard any racer say "I'm not going to race at x because there's a trackday at y"

condon66, 5axis, mike w and 3 others like this.
  13. noles19

Have you been to the track lately? Honest question.

JJJerry likes this.
  14. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Do we need the Novice title? With grids as small as they are, why not have a longer requirement for the newbie shirt and then just have one big group racing.

15. Justin Nelson

Justin Nelson Member

You are 100% correct, expert/novice status is NOT all about lap times! I will say it again (read closely)...SUGGESTION...use lap times to determine grid location on day TWO. Using this system, a novice racer doing 1:30 on day ONE would likely be at the front of the grid on day TWO. An expert racer running a 1:41 on day ONE would likely be at the back of the pack on day TWO. My point? Mix it up. Do something different. Try something new.

Yes, there were other track days going on, but why would a racer want to go do a track day instead of a race? Food for thought.

"It ain't gonna happen, no how, now way." How many companies do I need to reference that are no longer around because they were afraid of change?

AGAIN, why? Because I care and want to see the sport grow.

16. Justin Nelson

Justin Nelson Member

I was at Barber all day yesterday and Saturday, so yes.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This thread probably happens a couple or more times per season.

Just to get an idea where you're coming from: what's your experience level with club racing?

rd400racer likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

More track day organizations are starting to run races as well. As a track day guy that doesn't race, I would like to keep them separate, but I also understand the orgs have to do what the customers want to stay in business and hopefully grow. Maybe WERA needs to offer track days with a couple of racing classes to compete. :D

19. noles19

I didn't ask you that question..

20. Justin Nelson

Justin Nelson Member

Ahhh. My fault.