1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I should not have... But I did!!! ...Now what am I supposed to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by SV650R, Jan 3, 2010.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I'd get my paperwork straight before I got caught moving it around outside the house one day.

2. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Here is what I know...

A bank owns it, lien is over $6,000.00
    He stop paying for the bike months before I meet him
    He is unemployed.
    I think his GF may be the owner on the title.
    He sold the plastics, radiator and rear sets. Oh and a front tire.
    I do not have his phone number or address.
    He does NOT know where I live
    He does have my phone number but he has not called me.

Luis

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Gee...thanks for the bike dude! (you know your bike sitting in my garage. :D)

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

File a mechanics/storage lien and see what happens.

5. Bifferone

Bifferone Well-Known Member

You use the word "proper". Last time I looked, no trackday org. confirms you are the owner of your bike or said bike you take to the track is legit. Even going into Canada and back into the US, they never check the paperwork on any of my bikes or anyone else's I know of.

If you do not advertise it, no one will know the background on this bike.

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

So stealing is ok?

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

people seem to forget that part.

sure, go ahead and fix it all up with penske.ohlins/sharkskins so it can sell at auction in 4 months for $1500:D

8. Bifferone

Bifferone Well-Known Member

He did not steal it. He gained possession of it by no fault of his own.

9. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

If the bank comes looking for it the owner may just tell them it was stolen. That could look pretty bad for you. Call your local LEO and be rid of it. Good on you for trying to help the guy out. Just curious - what did your mechanic find. Did the service shop mess it up or was the owner telling a story?

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

If you know that a bank owns the bike. prepare a bill fo rtowing and storage charges. Contact the bank adn tell them that you are in posseson of the stored vehicle and tell them the amount of the storage and other fees. They will send a wholesale salvage company to retrieve the bike and the driver will have a check to you in the amount of the storage fees. I've done this twice with abandoned bikes in my shop that had bank liens, both times I made almost more than the value of the bike from the storage fees.

That is the correct and legal way to do it. If you cannot find the bank, contact the police to see if the bike is reported stolen. They can locate the bank. An insurance company may have already paid off the bank, so the bike will now be their property. Same deal, they will pay the storage fees and come get it.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

If the guy and/or the girlfriend were so irresponsible to let this happen to begin with, I doubt that full coverage/theft insurance was in place.

It's probably financed with HSBC thru the Suzuki Finance (credit card) program whereas full coverage insurance isn't required.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Will the post office forward a registered letter to his new address? Maybe should write him to make it official that you are still waiting for him to retrieve his bike (or that you waited long enough and dropped it off at his last known address), and keep a copy for your records or something. :confused:

13. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Lots of good info here, and going through the proper channels (depending on your state) could net you a check for storage fees at a minimum, or a title free and clear at best. No reason at all not to do it right and legal.

14. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

:up: Yeah...

The timing was wrong... Way off!!! And they started the motor... Broken valves, the cups where the shims go are broken in 2 cylinders, Bet the pistons are damaged too...

Motor turns like 315 degrees and dead stops there... Everything was tighten Gorilla or Harley style.

Unless he lied to me and he did the valve job at home a fooked it all up. I do not know... I think I have too much time to think all different scenarios...

A buddy has been begging for the front end for his SV650... I think I may just park the bike on the street... Any one wants the drop off location?

Luis

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

In PA and NY states, that is part of the required process to file the lien. I've never done the process in other states. State law varies tremendously.

16. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

No doubt, and the bank has priority until he files the proper lien paperwork with DMV. We used to do that at the shop I ran back in the 1980s. It wasn't to hard then, now. . . ?

I say file the lien and then he'll probably find out about other liens. He would not have to release the bike to the bank without payment once the lien is filed.

This all differs form state to state tho. . .

17. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Yeah, PM me where the drop point is. :beer:

18. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

This story should end exactly where it began...

I saw an ad on craigslist.org... Guy was parting out a 06 GSXR600.

(no, not really, but I thought that was kinda funny)

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

check the abandoned vehicle laws in your state and start the ball rolling unless you just want to have it sit in an impound lot for someone else to worry about.

20. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Ugh,
    Dude - Don't become that guy at the track with a mystery bike. Get it legal or give it to the lein holder.