1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some tire info

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by reknelb, Apr 13, 2001.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

My, My . Seems everyone is a bit of a bitch(My tire it better then your tire) when it comes to our tires.

Take all the various brand tires you are running, pull them off on a Sat morning & throw them in a pile & tell everyone to grab a set that fits but they can't grab the same brand they had & the racers that were winning before will be the ones that are still winning the races.

I'm not saying you would like the tire, but if you were running at the front before. You would still be at the front with "shit set"

2. still novice

still novice Guest

You must be used to running in front.....I hope to get used to it too [​IMG]

3. still novice

still novice Guest

What kind of compression are you getting with shaved head? Also, are you able to spin that motor alot more and make alot more power on top without granading it? This is my first year out on the SR, so I got alot to learn here.

4. Thumper580

Thumper580 Member

Compression is 12:1. Make sure you replace the pot metal cylinder nuts with steel ones, otherwise cylinder separation is quite possible. I don't turn it any higher than 7000 rpm. Seems to be where the power flattens out so no need to go any higher. Good luck.

5. Thumper580

Thumper580 Member

Actually I know a fair amount....My comments are based on the fact that I won the 2000 CCS SuperSingles Class Championship. Running a 1980 Yamaha SR 500 against alot of MuZ 660's. Any other questions ??

[/b][/QUOTE]
    Was that in practice or during the race
    :)..This is the ago old discussion that also applies to pipes, shocks, etc, etc...If it works for you then it's the right one, no matter what anyone else is using. Good luck.

Yeah, were you one of the two guys on thumpers that I passed in the F-500 race at Summit a few weeks ago. I was on a fully faired white RD-350, #669. On Avons. :)

Ciao,

Fred

[/B][/QUOTE]

6. still novice

still novice Guest

Are you comming up to Nelson Ledges in June?

7. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Just pulling your chain, no offense intended. But the first five places in F-500 at Summit were Maryland riders (I was one of them), kind of unusual. So either I passed you or you didn't pass me, since you are from Virginia.

Are you doing AHRMA at Summit Memorial Day weekend, given the debacle at Rausch Creek? If so, please introduce yourself. I will apologize for my witty retort. No. 669 two white Yamaha 2-strokes.

Ciao,

Fred

8. lizard84

Who me? I'm just a slow old sandbagger...

9. still novice

still novice Guest

don't get all modest on me now....i still need some lessons in sandbagging and cherrypicking...

10. Thumper580

Thumper580 Member

I didn't know anything the AHRMA event at Summit. Let me know the details and I'd like to check it out. Do you have to join AHRMA?? If so what are the costs? Thanks. I hope to make it. WERA # 62

11. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

[/b][/QUOTE]
    I didn't know anything the AHRMA event at Summit. Let me know the details and I'd like to check it out. Do you have to join AHRMA?? If so what are the costs? Thanks. I hope to make it. WERA # 62

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes you need an AHRMA racing license, it's about 100 bucks or so. They accept a WERA license as proof of experience but you still need an AHRMA license. Races are 40 (at Summit) bucks per class (Daytona and others are more).

At this late date you should probably call AHRMA as they have a "pre-registration" rule. Oh, the other downside is that you have to be an AMA member as the races are sanctioned by the AMA. You can join the AMA at the track, I am told.

The races are on Sunday and Monday. Saturday is a practice day, but I forget what it costs.

There is a Vintage MX event and a vintage bike "festival" over the weekend too, so it might be interesting just for that.

Until Rausch Creek was cancelled I was going to do Rausch Creek with WERA on Saturday and drive to Summit on Saturday evening to do AHRMA Sunday and Monday.

Ciao,

Fred

12. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

reknelb - I suggested Avon's because they obviously work for many vintage racers throughout the world. The K591s may work for you and your riding style like they've worked for Thumper580 but is it worth the risk in taking the advise of one person versus the wisdom of many vintage racers?

Congratulations! Just think, though, what you could've done on a set of Avons! [​IMG]

I would definitely have to disagree. I ran a set of Avon street tires on a stock Honda 360 my novice season (yea, I know... old story but still poignant) during which I learned the meaning of greasy. I had a fun time dicing with yammy R5's and built Honda 350's but cornering speeds were limited due to the tires I had. Last season I ran a Honda 175 on race compound Avons and ended up leaving the previous years' competitors way behind. Tires DO matter and WILL have a profound affect on results. Maybe not in cases where the difference in riders abilities are at extremes (i.e. me against Dave Roper) but in cases of near equal abilities, the one with the better equipment will have the upper hand.

13. lizard84

Well lets see. I've run & won on.

591 Dunlop front with a Metzeler ME99a rear.

Metzeler Me 33 front & rear (rear was run reversed fearing rain which did not come)

Me 33 front, Dunlop 155/17 rear slick

Street Avon AV 27 front. Same dunlop slick.

Hold on, now it gets strange.

Same avon AV 27 on rear reversed with a bridgestone slick front.( older 125 tire made for rear)

Same Bridgestone slicks, this time front & rear. got alot of , Boy those tires sure are skinny!

And just to make you feel better. Race avons front & rear. Only race this combo 4 times, All in the rain. And I LOVE racing in the rain.

What to make of all this? Who knows.

But when you have only been racing 1 or 2 years & you start leaving behind those you have been racing with . Its a sure sign your getting your shit together.

So I say, Good job & keep up the good work!!

14. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Why is it that the consistant winners and champions are so careful about bike setup and the parts they use yet a lot of BBSers disclaim their importance? If tires don't really matter or there isn't that much difference between them, don't you think
    there would be more top level racers with Cheng Shin or IRC manufacturers' hats and t-shirts? "Yea, the Plastico Krakt-X rear tire that I used on the front and the one I found under a mattress at the junkyard really performed flawlessly" is something you don't hear for good reason.

I really wish I could believe that my successes are due to my improved riding skills alone but I don't believe in blowing smoke up my own ass. Yes, I've learned how to be a better racer but more importantly, I've learned how to build a bike that is competitive and allows me to exploit my talents to the fullest.

Sure I can attribute my successes to my spiderman underoos with the skid mark... such as almost winning the Southeast Championship in my novice year on a stock bike with street tires while racing against more powerful bikes piloted by expert level racers. But of course I wouldn't mention that I was the only one to show up for all of the races and therefore racked up a shit load of points from my many last or next to last place finishes. I placed second nationally last year in the Lightweight Classic Class but of course I won't mention that, realistically, there were only two honest to goodness contenders to compete against. Am I down on myself? Hell no! I know I'm an above average racer, I just won't pat myself on the back for empty victories or build my reputation like a straw house.

Almost everybody has a win they can talk about or an "I was in the running" story. What speaks volumes is if you're a consistant front runner and winner whether it was your good day or an off day. This alone indicates who possesses talent and skill both on the track and in the garage. The racers I know who fit this profile spend a great deal of time and effort on their bikes and don't compromise on parts. They don't have sponsors or get contingency from manufacturers that may impact their decision on what parts to use.
    Call me foolish but I think I'll cover all of my bases and use what works time and time again.

15. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Diesel makes a good point and with respect to tires if you have a limited budget in my opinion with the exception of safety gear and brakes few other expenses take precedence over tires.

Ciao,

Fred

16. lizard84

Man oh man, you do love to type.

Tires do matter & nothing beats new tires.
    Look back at my post, I'm saying, in most cases. If the guy that won on fresh Avons would take them off & mount up fresh 591s & then rerun the race he would still win or if not run at the front.

Myself, I've never won anything, running at the front? whats that? I can tell you what the front of my truck looks like(if you don't let me near the beer). I work hard at trying to stay out of other peoples way. Hell, most times, I have to turn back after heading to the track because I forgot to load the bike. [​IMG]