1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some tire info

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by reknelb, Apr 13, 2001.

1. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

I'm having a hard time finding tires for my RD 400. I used k591s on my 550, and I liked them. It seems like the tire of choice are Avons. I know the am22-23s come in a sprint compound, but I can't go any wider than a 100 in the front, and a 120 in the rear.
    Has anyone heard anything on the Dulop gt501s? Are they track worthy or just a street tire?

2. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

3. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Oops, I was in too much of a rush.

Anyway, Avons are great tires and are the most popular choice. Buff uses Dunlops but not the horrible K591's. I'm sure he'll chime in and let you know which ones are good. As for the width, I'm not sure what rim widths are legal for the RD classes but if your using stock width rims, don't go more than one size beyond what was originally fitted.

Despite the Pontiac adds claiming "E Ahu Laula"... wider isn't always better.

4. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

I use the Avons on my SRX and love them. The front is a 90 and the rear is a 120. I am dragging the exhust, peg and knee with no signs of sliding. They last pretty well too. I got 4 weekends on a set turning 1:10 at Talladega. When they did start sliding it was predictably. I've changed to FZR wheels and am having trouble finding matching tires for the 110-17 front and 140-18 rear (times dropped to 1:08). I've got the last 17" that Avon made so I'm going to try to make it last as long as possible.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I don't know what rim size you are using, but on my Formula RD bike with OEM RD350 spoked wheels, I have 90/90 and 110/80 Avon's on them.

My tires, as well as the bike set up, was performed by Lyn Garland of Vintage Specialies. He's an RD ace with plenty of resources and expertise. You can contact him at [email protected].

6. reknelb

thanks for the info guys. sounds like Avons are it. Thumper, are those tires u use super venoms? (AM20,AM18) I've noticed Avon lists all their models and sizes, then they have a section listed as vintage race tires which consists of different models and sizes. are the vintage race tires a different compound than the tires listed by models?

7. reknelb

Thumper, my friends all use Mich. pilot race tires on thier 600s. They make a 110/70-17 in soft and intermediate compounds. They love them. Might want to give them a try after that Avons done. they are around $100 for a front at MAW accwhse.com

8. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Yes, Super Venom. I would like to try the Pilots but the rear 18" is not available. I don't know what mixing bias ply rear with a radial front will do to the handling. May give a pull off a try just to find out.

9. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Can't help with the RD350, but since Wil needs help with the SRX...

Wil, have you tried Bridgestones yet? The "hot" setup (at least last year) is the BT58 front and the BT56SS rear. This is the mix on my SRX right now (The previous owner was fast and won races on this mix) and other FZR riders (with stock FZR wheels) have been known to use that setup also. If you have further questions, drop me an email. Also, you can contact stickboy (Derek). He's selling 'stones in the SE this year.

10. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Thanks Greg. Looks like we'll be rolling 'stones this season [​IMG] . Hope it doesn't leave me between a rock and a hard place. Sorry, that was just for the pun of it.

11. reknelb

just bought some Avons. Can't believe how soft they are. I must have been nuts to go out on Dunlops. they're cement compared to these. Thanks again.

12. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

just bought some Avons. Can't believe how soft they are. I must have been nuts to go out on Dunlops. they're cement compared to these. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I have told so many people to beware of the 591's. They are not a good race tire. I too was guilty when I started. The Avons are fantastic tires no question. The Dunlop K124 series is really a great tire also. You may spend more though.

13. Thumper580

Thumper580 Member

The Dunlop K591 are great Tires. Been racing with them for years. The Avons are fine when NEW, but as soon as they get a few races on them they turn hard (cooked). Unlike the 591's when the AVONs slide,they go all the way with little warning. The Dunlpos never seem to loose their predictable nature even with numerous races on them. I'm trying the new GT501's right now. Only have one race on them and so far really good performance. Think about whether you want your tires to be consistent over the haul or great for a couple of races and then put you on your head without warning. Just a thought.

14. reknelb

Let me know how you like the 501s. I can get them dirt cheap compared to Avons. Dunlop plant is only 20 mins. away and I have a couple friends who work there. What bike do you ride? I ride an RD 400, it's pretty light so I was worried about getting the 591s warm enough. I was on a 550 inline-4. About 100lbs heavier than the RD. The 591s worked pretty good on that, and lasted a long time.

15. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

My Avons have been very predictable, even with 12 races on them. I ride mine <b>hard</b> to the point where they are shredded and have discolored to purple and blue yet they are consistent and very predictable when breaking loose and sliding while in mid turn. I have yet to crash because the Avons have given out. There is a reason why <b>top vintage racers</b> don't use the K591s. In fact, there is only won racer I know of who loves his Dunlops but he uses the TT100s or KR124s and will tell you straight out that the K591s are crap.

But hey, what do championship winning racers know?

16. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

17. Thumper580

Thumper580 Member

Actually I know a fair amount....My comments are based on the fact that I won the 2000 CCS SuperSingles Class Championship. Running a 1980 Yamaha SR 500 against alot of MuZ 660's. Any other questions ??

18. still novice

still novice Guest

[/b][/QUOTE]
    Actually I know a fair amount....My comments are based on the fact that I won the 2000 CCS SuperSingles Class Championship. Running a 1980 Yamaha SR 500 against alot of MuZ 660's. Any other questions ??

[/B][/QUOTE
    AMEN on the AVONs much better than 591's. Riding my EX500, I was running off the edge and sliding big time. BT96 Bridgestones cured that. Now I'm running AM22/23 on my SR with great results. Avons seem to have the same grip as race compound BT96, just take alittle longer to scuff and warm up.
    The question I have is :
    what did you do to the SR to run with Muz?

19. Thumper580

Thumper580 Member

[/b][/QUOTE
    AMEN on the AVONs much better than 591's. Riding my EX500, I was running off the edge and sliding big time. BT96 Bridgestones cured that. Now I'm running AM22/23 on my SR with great results. Avons seem to have the same grip as race compound BT96, just take alittle longer to scuff and warm up.
    The question I have is :
    what did you do to the SR to run with Muz?[/B][/QUOTE]

90mm JE piston, shaved head, ported and flowed, titanium valves, lightened flywheel, lighter XT crank, 40mm Dellorto carb, custom exhaust, etc. lots of dyno time, being consistent and riding it like I stole it.

20. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

[/b][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, were you one of the two guys on thumpers that I passed in the F-500 race at Summit a few weeks ago. I was on a fully faired white RD-350, #669. On Avons. :)

Ciao,

Fred