1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need political education...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Eck, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

I'm not a political person. The problem is that a person cannot sheild themselves from politics this day and age. And we all know everyone has an opinion. The following is mine. I don't consider myself a member of a party. And I apologize because this is kind of a Troll, but I'd like to figure out where I stand. Am I just a blundering idiot or do I just not understand the complexities of our government. Flame at will, I can take it ;)

This is a great country we live in, but our government (Indiana State and Federal) sucks! Have I become so detached for so long that I thought issues could actually be decided on by organized debate and factual representation of consequences? I haven’t seen one issue in this new year that has not been decided upon by the majority vote. I’m not saying there hasn’t been, but pretty much all high profile cases, Judge Alito, the Indiana Toll Road, and now the latest in the Cindy Sheehan saga, have pretty much been a product of the majority. All Republicans vote on the conservative platform and all Democrats follow suit so the winner is a 50-something to 40-something vote with the Majority republicans coming out on top. Where’s the facts, where’s the people’s voices? They get squashed by 51 rich conservative old men. I watched a bit of the debate for the Indiana Toll Road this morning and the Dem’s had some great points with lots of letters from the people. I don’t know how I’d vote, but even if the Dem’s solution was best, they would lose because they are outnumbered. And yes, that is the definition of Democracy. And that is why I feel so helpless.

That’s the main problem, I guess. I don’t feel “Majority Rules” is a viable solution anymore, especially when that majority contains all of one party and none of the other. We need a solution where each member of our government has a voice, an individual voice. Party platforms are essential in order for the general public to know their candidates, but that platform should not be an all-encompassing mandated voting policy while choosing sides of an issue.

Alas, I’m no politician, political science major, nor am I any sort of expert. Just an average Joe hopefully like many other people. In fact, I really do not like politics. Its like Chess for the Rich and Powerful. They give us just enough rope to feel like we have some pull in a matter while they’re manipulating the situation and distorting the view. One might say that the beauty of our government is that it allows anyone to run for office and make a difference. If 49 people can’t make a difference in the Senate, how can 1? I feel that it would take an army of new people to make any sort of change. Otherwise we’re talking about an evolution of government that may take 10’s or 100’s of years and might even include a few Dark Ages and an Ice Age or two. Which age are we in now?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Welcome to the republic, or representative democracy. The majority that vote conservative is there because the majority of the people in the US consider themselves moderate to conservative. One man one vote only exists in that you have one vote to elect someon to speak for you. Not too many years ago, the Democrats were in control and things went pretty much the other way.

In an ideal situation, those elected would represent ALL of those in their district (or at least the majority that elected them). Sadly, instead of the citizen representatives envisioned by our founders, we now have career politicians who make whatever promises are neccessary to get re-elected. They also do whatever is required to take tax dollars from other states to fund massive programs and projects in their own states to mollify their constituents when the don't vote in a way that is truly representative of the district. This generates a lot of comments "That SOB sold us down the river on "A", but my sister is making a lot of money off project "B" that he got us so I guess I'll vote for his sorry ass again."

Also, keep in mind that the prevailing wisdom is that our representative is great, but I don't understand how your SOB keeps getting re-elected.

Bottom line, the whole deal is about power. Those out of power try to get it, those in power try to keep it. We suffer regardless of which group is in charge.

3. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

Good points! Thanks!

Is our government so complex that an average lay-person couldn't do what a congressman does? For instance, if there were no career politicians in the Senate and House, could it still function and be productive? Or do we 'need' to have someone who is educated in the political sciences and who has been around the block a few too many times?

The President, Governors, and other single man posts will probably have to be someone who's been a leader and a politician for a long time, but if we could get the Legislative branch back on track, the system of checks and balances would again be productive, perhaps.

I guess the other big thing I want to get out of this is: Just keep doing what we're doing? Voting, raising issues (that don't get heard), etc. Or can we change the system? Like I said in my post, I don't think one independent here or there is going to make that difference.

4. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

Maybe a good start would be to repeal the 17th amendment putting Senator selection back into control of the states as it was designed.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just to clarify for Eck, prior to the 17th ammendment, Seenators were selected by the state legislatures rather than the people.

I might have to think about that one. On the surface, it would seem that partisan politics would run amuck. Ho

6. mad brad

mad brad Guest

some should be able to attain a race license, before becoming an expert on the government.

if they can't figure out how a race organization works, how could they understand judicial process?

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

remind me again what politics and the judicial process have in common...? :Poke:

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i'm saying adam can't figure out simple politics, much less complicated ones. :D

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Holy shit, Lever got Brad's password. :D

10. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

KAAAAAAABLLLLLLLAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Anybody who's been here a while knows I wouldn't be caught dead backing Webcrush, but he owns Brad on this stuff. For starters, he doesn't mix up "legislative" and "judicial." :)

12. mad brad

mad brad Guest

oh fuck off assface. one mix up, and i'm lever now?

whatever yoda. :D

adam doesn't even own a CCS license.

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

No, you were always just an angrified version of Lever. The last mix up is just Exhibit #451 in the case against you. :D

14. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I could never figure out who is the mentor and who is the protégé. :D

15. mad brad

mad brad Guest

precious, every time.

queers.

16. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

It could be worse...he could have called you doyle :D

17. Shyster d'Oil

You know, I hate to keep shoving this down your throat, but it just feels sooooooooooooo good:

The term homophobia literally means an "irrational fear of or contempt for homosexuality or homosexuals". It is derivable from the words homosexual and phobia (meaning "fear" or "panic" in Greek). The term itself is however often broadened to encompass other feelings such as aversion to, disagreement with, disapprobation of, disparagement of, or discrimination against homosexual people, their lifestyle, their sexual behavior, or culture [1] and is generally used to assert bigotry. Frequently, mere moral or ideological disapprobation is also called "homophobia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

18. Shyster d'Oil

And you, Toto, will get nowhere humping the very short leg of a Bradfordshire Terrier that is already humping someone else's leg.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wow, that didn't sound like you two are having gay sex at all...

20. Trent

Trent I just wanna ride motorcycles and eat pizza

:bow: diet Pepsi on the keyboard!