1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I think it had something to do with microstamping.

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2014/01/ru...ue-to-microstamping-boondoggle/#ixzz6mmHTCIal
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Ruger is committed to its customers in California. Unfortunately, the ill-conceived law requiring the incorporation of microstamping technology into semi-automatic pistols is forcing Ruger pistols off the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California. We are working hard to serve our customers in California and will do all we can to fight this draconian law. We continue to submit pistols to the independent test lab for testing and those pistols meet all the requirements of California in effect when those pistols first appeared on the Roster, i.e., everything except microstamping. We have been informed by the lab that the CA DDI will not even consider these “new” pistols for inclusion on the Roster unless they satisfy the microstamping regulations, which many numerous studies have found unworkable. Until microstamping is repealed, we expect that Ruger pistols–some of the safest available–will continue to be forced off the Roster.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/01/ru...ue-to-microstamping-boondoggle/#axzz6mmFuu5KE

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I've heard multiple people say the CZ Shadow 2 is the best out-of-the-box gun for competition shooting. I'd like to shoot one back-to-back with a X5 Legion, however personally I prefer the design of the X5 and it's also about $400ish cheaper, so that's what I'm going to go with even if the Shadow 2 might be slightly better.

That's how it is in Call of Duty! lol If only that was possible in real life!

3. sbk1198

What is microstamping? And how is it that most other manufacturers are doing it but not the biggest gun manufacturer in the US??

4. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I don't know why Ruger did not want to stay in the Cali.market.

Microstamping technology imprints a unique marking, a micro stamp, on the bullet casing of a firearm. When the bullet casing is recovered at a crime scene, law enforcement will have access to the make and model of the firearm to help trace crime guns.

://www.bradyunited.org/fact-sheets/firearm-microstamping

5. Valid point. And discussing it any further would get political.

I was just curious why they had that on the website.

6. sbk1198

Damn that's crazy! Didn't know that was a thing. It says it's stamped on the firing pin, which means it then gets imprinted on the primer. The firing pin is so tiny on most guns! It's amazing they can stamp on a curved surface that small.

7. Fuckinhell. All the money we (read: “I” :D) spend on shit, and the wife won’t sign up for YouTube Premium. :rolleyes:

She is always watching shit on YT just like me. I know it when her video gets interrupted by an ad, because she will be all “ugh”.

Then I’m like just do the Premium thing like I did, I don’t get any ads.
    Then she’s like “It’s $9”.
    I’m like “I know. It’s worth it”
    She’s like “It’s too much. I don’t wanna pay it”.
    I’m like “Hell I handle all the shit anyway, you won’t even see or know it”.
    She’s like “But still...”

I don’t even know how to respond to that. So I just said “Aight then, enjoy all your ads cheapass”. :crackup:

sbk1198 likes this.
  8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

California=stupid and the weather ain't THAT good

sbk1198 and Gorilla George like this.
  9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Microstamping isn't a thing. That's the problem. It is impossible to do with current technology. It is effectively a gun ban with extra steps.

10. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Just upgrade to a family subscription and throw her on. It'll cost you 15, but make everyone's life better. You can have up to 6 people on it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. These guys have some ammo in stock, and the prices aren’t that bad (in the current market).

https://ammoshoponline.com/

I don’t think there is a limit. Or if there is, it’s more than 10 because it let me order 10 boxes.

noles19 likes this.
  12. No shit? I didn’t know that was a thing.

I assume I just have to know/add her YouTube username?

13. sbk1198

Well what about the other manufacturer's that still selling in CA? If microstamping is a law that they need to follow to sell there, clearly it's possible. I'm guessing that just involves more money that manufacturers have to spend to add that in their process and Ruger decided they don't want to deal with that shit and just gave the middle finger to CA lol

14. Good call, got it. There was a YouTube video about how to set that up.

I swapped to family and added her, but now she doesn’t know the password to her email account. [/facepalm]

15. sbk1198

Saw it the other day but still too expensive. After shipping, handling fee and their mandatory signature required (meaning I'd also have to go pick it up at the FedEx place cuz they won't leave it at the door), it came out to be about $0.70/round. Fuck that!

16. Ok, having to go pick it up is a pain in the balls for sure.

But if you think about it, every place will charge shipping. And that sign fee only adds $5.

Besides, you only have to sign once for the entire order. So the more you buy, you are actually SAVING money. Rather than paying that $5 multiple times, you just pay it once. So it makes more sense to buy a lot. :D

17. sbk1198

Oh for sure. Before the pandemic I only ever bought 9mm or 5.56 in boxes of 500 or 1000. But now you get what you can when you can. I almost felt like a criminal this weekend when I met up with some dude whose name I don't even know in a walmart parking lot while it was raining to get some 45 ammo in ziplock bags LOL Probably looked like a drug/arms deal you see in movies lol On my way back home I kept shaking my head thinking "this is what it's fuckin come to just so I can go have a bit of fun next weekend!" :rolleyes:

Gorilla George and noles19 like this.
  18. Chango

Chango Something clever!

The other manufacturers have older guns grandfathered in on the list. They aren't doing microstamping either.

I should of course clarify that this is to the best of my knowledge. Last I knew microstamping was simply not viable.

sbk1198 likes this.
  19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Microstamping hasn't been researched at all, because the law says it will be required (paraphrasing here) "once it becomes an available technology"...so yeah, none of the mfgs are really subjecting themselves to that.

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's funny as shit honestly