1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Most of my local gun shops have not been price gouging on ammo they just are not receiving much into stock. Big 5 sporting goods has been the cheapest I've seen around AZ. You just have to go into the store and ask what day their delivery truck arrives and then get in line super early on those days.

Need more larger capacity mags!!

Attached Files:

Razr likes this.
  2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Here's a price barometer for you.

no ammo is really available on the primary market (Big-5, Walmart, Local gunshops, Cabelas) here in Portland Metro. @shakazulu12 correct me if this isn't accurate.

Pricing is based on local gun board with private party sale
    22lr = $0.12/round
    9mm = $0.60/round and I've seen it as high as $1/round
    .40cal = $0.75/round or higher
    .45cal = $0.80/round or higher
    5.56/223 = $0.70.round or higher
    300Blackout = $1.50/round for supersonic and ~$2/round for subsonic
    7.62x51/308 = $1/round or higher
    7.62x39 = $0.70/round or higher

No ammo available at traditional retail places. Zero, unless you want the really obscure Winchester Short Magnum in 25-330, or the 329Lapua.
    :(

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Using the cost as an argument to not spend more money does not work with GG.

Triple X and Gorilla George like this.
  4. That’s not a bad idea. As long as I can find a machine that isn’t too time consuming, and/or can crank out a lot of rounds with little effort on my part.

5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

even with reloading its not a good time for that as its really hard to find primers. I have a buddy thats has 3 machines and been doing it for a while that told me he just got his order he placed in may not too long ago

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you were to take the tine to learn how to reload, a Dillon 550 would let you crank out rounds real fast. However, I think you'd rather just spend the extra money on ammo, than the tine to learn to reload.
    You should look into buying ammo from a small commercial reloader and buy ammo in bulk.

Jed and Gorilla George like this.
  7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Accurized(tm) for @Gorilla George

Sabre699 and Gorilla George like this.
  8. Yeah, if was as simple (or more importantly, as quick) as just dumping a bucket of all the shit in it and then walking off while it spits out 1000 rounds, I would do it.

But if it is more time consuming than that, I’d rather just buy the ammo.

9. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Reloading rifle is a pain in the ass; multiple passes to trim and whatnot. Pistol is very easy. I have an automated 1050 that will cycle at 1200 rounds per hour. But I have to watch it, .380 auto brass that sneaks in will fuck it up. I've read elsewhere that the MK7 auto system is good enough that you can ignore it.

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Even if you wanted to reload right now, you couldn't even begin to get all the components. I finally got some more primers yesterday. I had the pages up for the main sources and would refresh several times a day for months now. When some became available yesterday it was gone in an hour and the site even crashed several times it was so flooded. I've done the same waiting for certain powders and bullets. Even then though, it's very time consuming, especially if you're building accurate rounds. I have a single stage and will keep it that way. Reloading is kind of my Zen place. It's certainly not something for an impatient person!!!

11. Then that rules me out. :D

I have zero patience.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Noooooooooo........

Sabre699, Gorilla George and Razr like this.
  13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

For us racers, reloading is kind of like tuning your own suspension. Yes it can save you money, but the true joy is when you find a load that works so well with your specific gun. You can just take the plain jane factory ammo (or suspension settings) and be happy with it. But then, once you start digging in, you start fiddling with those dials, after a while you really start to understand what they do. You change spring rates, shim stacks, rebound, compression, etc, etc... and then you start to find magic! My example is my grandfather's S&W 38special. Would you really expect to be overly accurate with a snub nose revolver? But one day I found it. I kept fiddling with different powders and rates. I had an inch/two inch sized group at 30 feet. I couldn't believe it. (125gr Hornady XTP, win SPP, 6gr Win Autocomp powder for those that care)

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Apparently, I was thinking somethin' else. :confused:

Anywho, I've seen a number of side-by-side comparisons of AKs and ARs in mud, crud and debris baths prior to operation and the AR faired better in each situation presented.
    YMMV.

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

My understanding is the AK simply fairs better over extremely long use overseas. It’s not a matter of mud getting in it once. Both guns will either jam or just blow the shit out. Where the AK “shines” (if you can really call it that) is over long durations exposed to sand. Sand getting in the internals chews shit up. The AKs tolerances are so loose everywhere it either just falls or blows out. The AR will compact it internally to its own detriment. Thing is are you really going to use/abuse your rifle that long without cleaning it or replacing worn parts? For people living and fighting in the middle, the AK is ideal because they don’t have the resources of a well funded military. So 100k rounds and 10 years into use, the AK might still live where the AR has shat the bed. But new off the shelf, the AK is inferior in every way. And we don’t have the sandy environment of the Middle East.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

since theres some that dont seem to know the ak platform, here is one of the most recent videos of rob ski putting an american ak thru his test on how well it does. Love this guy with his knowledge and enthusiasm. Check it out and enjoy :)

britx303 likes this.
  17. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

10,000 rounds is a lot of ammo but if you think about it that's really only 20 bricks. If I bring my 22's I could go through a brick every time I go to the range. I haven't bought ammo in awhile .I still had a lot left over from the last shortage. From what I am seeing I think it was easier to get ammo during the last shortage than it is now.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That vid was damn cool! Love the sand demonstration:rock:

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Sitting in the stand now with my bow and thinking a 10mm Glock with an RMR would be a sweet hog gun to bring bow hunting.

I found some hogs last night and tried to let my cousin get the first shot but he fked up and missed and they got in the brush before I could get one. Not doing that again

Photo likes this.
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We have a public outdoor range that’s great for shooting just about anything you want. Went yesterday and it was a line of 20+ vehicles waiting for a lane. It’s the only place around here with long range option. The ironic part is majority of the vehicles had buy den stickers.........what can I say? Maryland, where nothing makes sense:confused: