1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Haha yeah. I did manage to do that. It weighs 700lbs, so I couldnt take it with me. They will delivery it the first of next week.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You really have to ask? You new here? :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I didn't ask if he bought ALL the safes! lol Just thought maybe he got distracted by the gun lol

Gorilla George and Razr like this.
  4. The damn laws/categorizations are fucked up and seem to change daily.

But does adding a front vertical grip on an otherwise unmodified AR-15 Pistol change it into a Rifle (as far as ATF is concerned)?

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

At the point you add a vertical grip to an AR pistol, it becomes a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) and as such needs a tax stamp.
    For an AR Pistol, my suggestion would be that you go with an angled fore-grip.

The top is my SBR in 300blk. I have the tax stamp.
    The bottom is my AR Pistol in 5.56. I have an angled fore-grip to avoid Federal PMITA prison and/or a $10K fine.

[​IMG]

6. What if (on the AR Pistol) I put the grip to the side (on the inside)?

Technically, that would make it a “horizontal grip”, and not a vertical grip.

Would that fly?

7. Jedb

Judge: "Please answer the question."
    ATF Agent: "Yes your honor, we believe Mr. George put the grip to the side in an effort to avoid compliance with the law"

Do you have $10K to hand over to the ATF?
    Do you want to tempt fate with Federal PMITA prison?
    Do you have extra money to pay lawyers to fight the above two?

I'm being a bit facetious with the above, but really, why chance it.

Can you get away with it? Probably.
    Should you try? IMO, probably not.

8. You would think with a law, it would be “black and white”, without so much that can be left up to personal interpretation.

Just like the shoulder thing. How is the law worded when it comes to utilize the arm brace on a “Pistol”, something like “Situational and sporadic contact with the shoulder is ok” or some shit like that?

The grip thing is similar IMO. So an angled one is ok, but a vertical one isn’t. Which means, technically, I could just add some washers under one end of the mounting bracket to give it some “angle”, and then it would (technically) be legal.

You cant get much more “angled” than horizontal. Haha. So it *should* be ok, I would think.

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Accurized. :D

Also, on the vertical grip, just get an angled or hand stop and be done with it. Just makes life easier.

10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

The problem with all of this is none of it is actually law. It is the ATF's interpretation of a law that, due to its age, does not address these details. And the ATF is most definitely a woman because they can't make up their minds and when they do, it doesn't necessarily follow any logic.

Jedb likes this.
  11. No shit. :crackup:

I reckon I’ll just hang on to the vertical grip (see what I did there? :D); I can put it on a Rifle if I want. I’ll grab an angled grip for the pistol.

12. Jedb

I would agree with this for sure. You are also going to get variability between different agents...
    Up to you @Gorilla George Your move. LOL

13. Eh, I’ll just go with a hand stop on the pistol.

I just read one letter from the ATF that didn’t specify vertical or angled; it actually said it is illegal to install “any device which would design the firearm to be used with 2 hands”.

So depending on which ATF agent you deal with, they might claim even an angled grip is illegal, because a pistol is designed to be shot with one hand. Anything added to change that “design” is illegal.

So on the pistol I’ll just go with a hand stop like the one on the Charger.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Still a handgun thread...right ?

[​IMG]

15. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Question for the more informed.

One of my handguns came in a case with just egg crate foam. I want to replace that foam with foam that I can cut out the silhouette of the gun, and then for my magazines and speed loader. What is that foam called, where can I get it?

I have seen the cut out foam for toolbox drawers and it was crazy expensive for what it was, a thin sheet for a drawer or two at $35.

But any assistance and direction is appreciated.

16. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

https://www.carolinacustomfoam.com/1-5-inch-thick-1/ I'm sure other places also have it.

DrA5 likes this.
  17. Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=box+foam+insert&sprefix=box+foam&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-apa-p_3_8

DrA5 likes this.
  18. I reckon it all depends on how big and strong your hands are. Does this count? :D

BEE9DFCA-42CC-44BD-B59D-8AD041AC1D9E.jpeg

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I don't know...does it spell ?

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I knew ammo was flying off the shelves, but only attempted to buy it last week.

the only thing i found was bird shot. Almost bought a second SAO 22 revolver, just because it was in stock in a color i don’t already have, and it will shoot any old ammo, while remaining legislation-proof.

anyway, came home and bought stock in Federal Ammunition’s parent co instead. It’s up 15% since i bought it.