1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I always carry with a round in the chamber so a magazine safety won't help. Like Pickled egg said I always consider any gun I touch to be loaded and ready to fire.

rk97 likes this.
  2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

The only safety that counts is the one between the shooters ears. Chambered round indicators, safety’s, ambi safetys, decockers are not a bad thing. They don’t create anything other than the need to be intimately familiar with the function of a particular weapon. Assume nothing with a firearm , particularly with a “new to you” toy. From tear down and assembly to loading, unloading, use of a decocker, decocking a hammered firearm that doesn’t have a decocker, use of a safety, proof of the function of a grip or mag safety.

Familiarity leads to proficiency, assumptions lead to holes with red stuff.

K51000 and Photo like this.
  3. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I'll bet you thought you knew something.

Once anyways

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

EuroOptic has quite a few items in the dent-n-demo section...just sayin'.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/demo-product-menu.aspx
    I wanna go see them this week...anyone want a hands-on report? Doesn't necessarily have to be a demo/used product.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Damn it! Now what am I going to do with my Martini Henry? It is, however, completely lacking in any other safety features whatsoever, so perhaps you might make an exception?

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I bought my Tikka from them as a showroom model and it was pristine. Highly recommend jumping on any of those deals if something interests you.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Short answer: no. Love the idea, but for what they cost, on top of the cost of the pistol, a PCC made more sense.

I bought my hi point 995 instead of the Roni for my G19, which is my carry pistol now. The PF9 was easier to conceal, but i don’t find the G19 yo be bulky or conspicuous. I use an AlienGear “cloak/tuck 2.0(?)” IWB holster.

People can laugh about the 995 all they want, but it’s the F4i of PCC’s... it’s stupid cheap, highly reliable, and capable enough for almost anyone who is honest with themselves about their shooting abilities and how often they will shoot it. But that’s just my opinion.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Same on the Tikka...I bought one from them about a year ago for a stupid cheap price. Seem like really good people to deal with.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I don’t care if guns have a ton of safeties. I’m sure Paul Harrell wasn’t the first to say it, but he was the first person i heard say, “all negligent discharges are caused by one thing: negligence.”

I love Paul’s YouTube presentations. Dude is hilarious, and super knowledgeable.

Triple X and lizard84 like this.
  10. fastfreddie

The guy talks straight up common sense. He also seems to be the type of guy that could lead you into hell and you'd be laughin' about it the whole time cuz you knew some demons were gonna die. :D

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well, he does have some experience with ventilating a human.

Triple X likes this.
  12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I like having a chamber round indicator. Kinda wish most guns had them. One of my hand guns has it, the other doesn't. Would've liked it better if they both had it.

Well that makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine o_O There is absolutely zero threat/risk of an unloaded weapon, let alone a disassembled one!

Like with most things, get what makes you happy or whatever you want. If you bought the LC9 you got it for some good reason. I've never shot one, but I'm sure it's good. I got a Security-9 for carry because I didn't want something quite as small as the LC9, and I love it! Yes it has a chambered round indicator, and I like that feature. Wish my Beretta had that too! A lot of people seem to shit on Ruger, but most of their weapons are really good for lower prices than many other less known companies. Not gonna ever claim they're the best or even close to it, but probably about the best bang for the buck. I have 4 Ruger firearms (other 3 are rifles). All of them are awesome, they didn't break the bank, and I'd get them all over again if I had the choice.

K51000 likes this.
  13. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

See if they can get me a better deal on a range finder (looking at the Vortex Ranger 1800, but I'm open to other equivalent units) ;) They have it listed for $350 which is about on par with other places but many times they have lower prices than just about anywhere else. Bought my Vortex scope from them earlier this year, which was a showroom unit. Got a pretty good deal on it, definitely better than anywhere else I've looked.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Please never be anywhere near me with a firearm.

15. fastfreddie

The Sig KILO1800BDX is marked down to $320 from $400. Couple years ago, a long range shooter/instructor recommended the Sig KILOs to me and a buddy...his only interest in the product was that it was accurate, did what he needed it to do and there weren't any questions about overall quality/support. Not saying Vortex doesn't also fit that bill but I have no experience with rangefinders. The Sig doesn't elaborate on its functions but there was an associated vid I didn't watch. :D The Sig is 6x vs the 3X of the Vortex. Reviews on Sig's site are hit or miss but one guy says he was glad to get his over the Vortex.
    Cash talks...I'll see what they have to say.

sbk1198 likes this.
  16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

First rule of firearms, it to treat every firearm as if its loaded.

Sabre699 and Gorilla George like this.
  17. fastfreddie

That's the reason every one of my weapons not in the safe is loaded, indicated or not. If it's gonna be presumed to be loaded, it might as well be. :D

scottn, Gorilla George and sbk1198 like this.
  18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I have a friend who offered to sell me a S&W .357 revolver with a 3 inch heavy barrel in a like new condition for $300. Good deal or no? Will be used as home defense now that my daughter is a senior in high school and I don’t have to worry about a gun in the house.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I look at it as making sure there's a round in the chamber. If it doesn't show then double check to make sure a round is in there.

K51000 and sbk1198 like this.
  20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That's a decent deal for the firearm.
    The recoil will be a PITA....