1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

CZ 75 SP-01
    I was in the same boat. Shoot a 1911 .45 as a match/rarget pistol and wanted a 9mm for home protection (and "fun gun".). The CZ is what it all came down to. Accurate, great trigger, large capacity, night sights, and a very good feel.

rk97 likes this.
  2. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Wait til the surplus beretta's hit the market.

rk97 likes this.
  3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

He said solid! :crackup: I don't doubt there are a few decent ones in the surplus piles, but I don't think most of them will still be described as solid. The going rate in 3-5 years when the unissued ones hit the cmp will probably be about close to the price of a new 92.

The new 92's and m9's aren't that bad of a choice and are fairly reasonably priced. I believe you can get them in a safety/decocker and decocker only models and with or without a rail for attachments. I'm not sure if you can get a railed decocker only model though, which would be my choice. The only thing I dislike about my 1990, 92 compact is the safety/decocker.
    The only way to have the hammer back is to have it off safety with the short single action trigger pull.
    To have it decocked and ready to fire in double action, you have to decock it which puts the safety on, and then move it to safety off and hope you don't knock the rather large ambidextrous, exposed safety back on against anything while carrying it. It seems to me that system is too redundant and i would rather have a decocker only model or a hammer back safety model.

I'd also like the ability to change the sights which is only available in certain configurations. Add that to the rail and decocker only list and I don't believe you can get it oem.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  4. Robby Card

Robby Card Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I went in to the gun shop today fully expecting to walk out with a CZ 75 after doing some research - it just seemed to spec out as everything I was looking for. Instead I kept coming back to this one - it feels just right:

Attached Files:

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Gonna be waiting a long time. Won't happen.

7. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

Hard to go wrong with a 1911.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

terminus est and BrianC636 like this.
  8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Very Niiiice!!!

I used to have one just like it....before the boating accident and all....

9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I wore a button down tucked in with levi 511 jeans which are pretty fitted, I think the are classified as skinny. If you are looking you can tell I'm wearing it but I asked everyone in the office after a couple hours if they noticed anything and they said no until I spun around and said look at my butt.

It's definitely comfortable enough for me to actually start carrying. I've never found a holster I like and if you had a shield or something with this holster you could definitely be super concealed with a button down and jeans.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Thanks. Most of my shirts are un-tucked, but dress. I'll look into this.
    Thank you!

11. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

So, I was looking at youtube for disassembly videos of a Springfield Armory M1903, and to my surprise I found a nice little video using CAD or other computer graphics software that showed full assembly and operation of it.

The site was www.gun-disassembly.com and linked back to a website called noble empire corporation, www.noble-empire.com. Let's just say, if you're into how guns operate you will love this site. vids are easier to watch on youtube (can be enlarged) than on the main site.

You're welcome.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I treat all of my handguns like they are supreme collectibles (even though they aren't) and I've wanted one that I could just throw in the glove compartment or my saddlebag if I'm going on a trip and not worry if it was dropped or beat up. I've said before that I'll never own a plastic pistol because I think they look like crap. Aesthetics are as important as function (and have you ever known a pretty gun that didn't function well?).

Anyway, after much deliberation and research, I figured one of the .380 Bersa's would fit the bill. So I go to a new gun shop yesterday and give the guy my spiel. He shows me a few and they're OK, but then he says he had a customer that just traded in a late 80's Model 85 Bersa that is light years in quality above the current offerings and he'll sell it for $300...the same price as the new ones (that aren't close to the quality of the old one). Had the original box and all paperwork too.

So, I bought the damn thing and now I think it's too nice to be a knockaround gun! My poor man's Walther PP:D

[​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

Nice score. Before they went to Argentina, right?
    If/when ever you run across any mags for it, buy 'em at any price.
    You can modify Thunder Plus mags to retrofit by cutting a notch for the mag catch...check the Bersa forums.
    No other mags will fit.
    [​IMG]

14. rd400racer

Yep, the first thing I did was look for mags on the internet. Rare as hens teeth but I'm not in any hurry. Thanks for the side by side pic...doesn't look too hard to retrofit the new mag.

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Nice score... have you shot it yet? That was my first ever handgun, and the first I ever sold. I HATED mine. The damn slide bit the area between my thumb and forefinger no matter how I held it. Every time I shot the thing; bloody hand.

16. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Shooting my first idpa match on sunday.

Will be shooting my hk vp9

Steeltoe likes this.
  17. rd400racer

Nope, just bought it yesterday. But I had a PPK/s a couple of years ago and it didn't bite my hand...this is damn near an exact copy. Now I do have a micro 1911 and it eats hands like you described. Mainly why I bought this pistol. I hope I don't have another hand-biter!

18. fastfreddie

The first non-1911 style semi- I ever shot was a P7. It sliced me clean...didn't even feel it. I immediately realized my 1911 gripstyle (thumb safety ready) wasn't gonna cut it with these lower profile semi-s.
    Making the distinction between a 1911 style and everything else, I've yet to have another handgun cut me again. To show there were no hard feelin's, I bought one of those P7s and quickly found I may have no use for any other 9 and maybe even no use for the 1911. :D

Would so like to shoot the VP9. If it's anywhere near as intuitive and naturally pointing as the P7, it's gotta be worth every penny of its so reasonably priced value.
    (Don't have to aim a P7...it knows what you're looking at. ;))

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Keep us posted on that holster, I always like have a couple to choose from. I've been wearing a N82 Pro for a P938 for a couple days now, just got it Saturday, (CC all day, tucked) and its been surprisingly comfy... best holster I've ever had so far.

20. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Blasphemy!

Kinda like a 1911? :Poke: