1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like butts

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I am using a Oklahoma Joe's style smoker and I just throw more wood in and bump up the heat to 350-400 for about 30-45 min to get a nice crispy outer crust:clap:

2. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

I have a recteq. Smoke butts a lot. I don’t wrap mine anymore, just let it smoke! I usually pull mine off around 195 or so. Wrap it in foil then with towel around it. Set in cooler until time to eat it.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

That side cut can be knocked out pretty quickly. Two smaller cuts are going to go much faster than one large piece. The good news is they’ll still taste good.

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Damn I miss Cowboy Killers…

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

These were my go to when I lived across the pond. Even though I quit, when I land in Italy next month I'm grabbing a pack of Gauloises or Gitanes just to remind me how bad (good) they are.

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My neighbor in Germany called those Hitlers Best

rd400racer likes this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I know it sounds weird but I'd love to watch them put those pants on. I can't imagine how they get into those things. There has to be some magic trick or maybe elves actually sew them up while they're already on, or maybe Genie folds her arms and nods her head, whatever.

Steeltoe and britx303 like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I can’t remember seeing HB any place.
    I don’t think even those weird ass cigarette machines in the DE had them.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

When I do a couple butts on the pellet smoker without rotating them (if you're lookin...you ain't cookin) I consistently see the one closer to the burn pot get to 203 much faster than the far one, but once the far one gets there it's noticeably more jiggly (what you want). Probe is at the far end of the smoker and I set for 225. I like cherry pellets (or cherry chunks and lump charcoal in the Kamado). I only trim fat if there's a really thick spot, don't think it really matters much. Usually dry brine for a few hours at least, then quick rinse and rub with Bad Byron's and let sit overnight in the fridge. At 203 I put them in a cooler with a cup or so of apple juice and let sit for a few hours (and still burn fingers pulling it). That said, you can get away with murder on a pork butt- like going straight from frozen to rub to smoker.

tiggen likes this.
  10. Used2befast

Yep, I unfreeze mine and straight to the smoker. Id like to try cherry wood but its hard to find in Texas unless wally world has a stash of chunks in a bag.

11. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Get the pink paper, wrap it tight when the crust looks perfect (~160ish), stab your probe thru it. You need to get to 200 if you want it soft like the cheaters do, it continues to rise after removal a bit. Nice thing about the paper is it keeps the bark amazing, foil wrap tends to ruin it.

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’m the opposite. I want to watch her take them off…………..:p

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Every other man: "I'd love those pants to come off at my house!"

14. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Looking at that, I don’t really see butts. I see asses, fine asses.

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

195 = stilly very meaty
    205 = mushy
    200-202 = just right

On my egg at 225* an 8lb butt takes 15-18 hours. Wrapping it during the stall knocks off 2-3 hours. My last butt I finished by bumping the temp up to 275 and it was my wife's favorite.

My rub is usually some complicated mix of spices, unlike beef that I try to stick with just salt and pepper (and sometimes garlic).

I was always told that mequite is way too harsh for pork, but perfect for beef. I've only used a fruit wood and hickory on my pork.

I think my pulled pork is the second best I've ever had, next to a small restaurant just east of Asheville. I've been there twice 10 years apart and both times I was blown away. I think I need to work on my mop/finishing skills.

16. Used2befast

I love it when people say "I was told" but honestly no one has ever tried my pulled pork and said the mesquite wood was too harsh.:Poke: Some don't like mesquite...I get it...to each his own.

Once my fire is going good I feed seasoned mesquite wood that is wet.

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

It's a good point. Just because something is repeated a ton of times, doesn't mean it's right. I'd be happy to try mesquite sometime.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Steeltoe we need some more pics. These guy's are ruining the thread with all this meat talk.

Steeltoe likes this.
  19. Used2befast

I know some people that over smoke the meat too....so adjusting the flow of smoke or how long its smoked can make a difference in flavor..

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Lots of good info here. Pork butt is hard to ruin.

paper at the stall when the bark is great. Or don’t paper at all. I frequently don’t wrap butt in a kamado because airflow is low and humidity is high especially if you add a water pan. Spritzing with water vinegar combo is enough and I’m a bark man.

Korean red pepper paste in my rub makes incredible flavor.

I don’t inject because you can always add sauces to taste per Sammy.

200? 203? 205? Maybe. I go by feel. The lower the cook temp the lower it seems they are ready, generally speaking.

I prefer 225-250 until about 175 internal then 275 or it takes forever.

I don’t think long holds help butt all that much as compared to beef. Hour is fine.

Edit- Your slaw is what will separate good from great sandwiches. Thinly sliced red onion soaked in lemon juice and a little salt for 30 minutes will brighten a mayo based slaw sauce and add that lead guitar solo over the jugga wuggas of pork fat and mayo. Add lemon juice as desired.

Phl218 likes this.