1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got three charging dog events this week.

Discussion in 'General' started by TXFZ1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

This is the third time this week that a dog has charged us while out on our daily walk. Twice in one day even. Once a cop was stopped at a 4-way just watching it. I MACED every one which only seemed turn them away. The first time, I didn't think I hit it's face. The second and third, I know I hit the face but nothing happened, no yelp, rolling in the grass to get it out, nothing. The dogs just trotted off. One even came back for a second shot.

The can was empty so I sprayed just a minute amount in the trash, touched it with a finger and then brought this up to within a foot of my nose/mouth. Geeze that crap is wicked but did nothing against a charging dog! I can still feel it in my throat 30 mins later.

Does mace only work on humans? Does Bear spray work and what is the difference?

David

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Who is "us"? Are you walking a dog, with a child, what? Are the dogs attacking you or just trying to do their jobs by scaring you away from their yards? Are their leash laws in your town? Have you talked to the owner's of the dogs?

The reason I ask is because I had a guy threaten to mace my dog one time while we were on a walk. My dog had done nothing, the guy was just a pussy. I told him to put that shit away and that my dog was the least of his worries.

FWIW, bear spray may be slightly stronger than commercial pepper spray but mainly it just comes in much bigger can.

3. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Pepper spray, are a small can of wasp/ ant spray stops even the biggest dog.
    I work for the telco, that sh++ works!

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I assume he meant pepper spray, not "mace".

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

6. boloson

boloson Well-Known Member

It'll work on some dogs but not all. Pitbulls are immune to that stuff

7. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he said mace, I've never used it though.

Pepper spray is nasty, but the high strength wasp spray, DONE.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes but many people just call any sort of defensive spray "mace". Sort of like calling any sort of brown soft drink "coke".

Unless he whacked the dog with one of these, in which case that's one tough mutt that came back for more.

[​IMG]

9. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Just a sprinkle of water from a water bottle has always worked for me. Or threaten to kick the dog in the face if you're on foot.

Even scary dogs can go from the aggressor to scarred little pups if you communicate correctly. That's been my experience anyway.

Edit: if a dog's bugging you, don't turn your back on it. Stay squared up with it. Yell at it and maybe the owner will come out to collect it, and you can have a constructive conversation.

The only time i've been bitten, I didn't see it coming until the last instant.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I am out walking with my dog. She is on a leash and is not dog friendly. She is not provoking the attacks. I am controlling her while these dogs are running full steam straight towards us, crossing streets with traffic etc. What owners? I would have to catch the dog or kill to read it's tag. Yes, there is a leash law but as long as the sheriff is willing to watch and then drive off, it's not enforced. I though mace would be better than killing them. Is there a difference between mace and pepper spray?

David

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I think I see his problem.

[​IMG]

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But what happens when they get to you? If the mace isn't working are they attacking your dog? Are they big dogs? What type of dog is yours? If they're not attacking, maybe you could just let dogs be dogs. They'll bark, growl, sniff, and eventually figure things out.

I have dealt with something similar with mine. He's not overly dog aggressive unless the other dog is. The issue is that he's 130lbs and if I let him shred the stupid schnauzer that's rushing us, animal control will probably take him from me. With my other dogs I let them greet dogs on our walks and they do fine once they get all of the growling/sniffing out of the way.

And yes, mace is a chemical compound (basically teargas) that doesn't always work on everyone/everything. Pepper spray is an organic formula actually made from hot peppers and evokes a massive reaction from just about anything with a nose. Animals that hunt/sniff like dogs and bears take it especially hard because their noses are so much more sensitive than ours.

One more thing, you and/or your dog may be provoking more than you know. Dogs can sense fear and apprehension and will become aggressive when they do. On the same note, they can sense confidence and will back off if you stand up to them. The effect is two-fold if you're walking your dog. She senses your fear and feels the need to protect you while at the same time the other dogs are sensing your fear and wanting to get to you.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Most dogs that are described as "not dog friendly" by their own owners don't react well to others running up to them, regardless of the manner in which it occurs. Mine is very dominant and often scares other dogs into chomping at her when she runs up - so she then responds in kind and they start fighting, and I look like an asshole. All she wants to do is sniff and play, but the other animal sees 70lbs of fur rushing toward them and thinks "oh fuck, here we go".

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Really? Using pesticide on a dog?

That's not gonna end well for you, when the wrong owner shows up.

15. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

My girl is only 80 lbs, but she doesn't recognize the right of any other dog to be in her presence, unless they've submitted and pledged to be her minion :D She'll jump on anything if I don't have a grip on her when it shows up.

The other night I went out to chop some firewood and let her come with me. The neighbors have a 100 + pound male dog (which she already jumped on once, and got herself dusted) which was out in their yard and she tore off after him and started barking at him. Luckily he was chill and my neighbor put him inside and my dog was walking around while we and his friends were shooting the shit (they were working on his harley).

Eventually my dog went up on their porch, jumped on their window, and started barking into their house (the window was open). The wife flipped, and I had to scoop up my dog and carry her back. She's a trip, but she's entertaining

[​IMG]

16. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I have worked with her and she is trained to heal when I stop walking. She is sitting beside me waiting for a treat while alternating her look between the dog and me. They all have turned around, u-turned. So in the big picture it did work. I know the difference between a friendly and attacking dog. Even though both have folded ears and bared teeth, the curled elvis lip, raised hair, and growl is a good sign they will bite my foot if I stuck it out. I have no fear as I just stop and watch 'em making a straight run towards us. I have stopped agressive dogs with a foot stamp and "git" when alone.

Mine will bite even if they submit close enough to her reach. She is a big dog and we have trained basically every day while other dogs pass by.

David

17. styles

styles The untrained eye

I love when people assume everyone is ok with dogs running up on them. After the dog gets kicked in the face or something they always say, "He wasn't gonna hurt you!"

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Then if they're not actually going in for the attack ignore them. They'll either get used to you, get tired of the game, or get run over crossing the street before long.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

A dog is a dog. Unless its trained otherwise it's natural instinct is to run up and check you out. Don't read more into it than there needs to be. You have ten times the brain power, use it.

20. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

They'll run up to you once... I know when a dog is aggressive, and when it's not. This is for the aggressive ones.

[​IMG]