1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got some T-pro armor and have questions...

Discussion in 'General' started by grendels_arm, Jul 2, 2008.

1. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

OK I ordered the back protector, rib protector and the shorts with armor. I had a back protector but wanted to upgrade it because it was from 2001 or so and was only CE rated level 1. I didn't have a chest protector and my Dainese suit armor for hip and thigh areas was thin foam. Anyways I put on the backprotector (small since I'm 5'6") and it fit fine. However I took my fist and hit it while I was wearing it and felt impact on my spine in different areas I hit it. Now I know this isn't a scientific test. But I know if I do the same with my Dainese hard armor back protector I wouldn't feel a thing.

Now can someone please explain this all to me so I have more confidence in this. I don't care what CE rating it gets if I can take my fist and hit my back backwards and feel it, not just some little vibration either. I mean doesn't that mean I'm gonna feel it a lot worse if I land at 130mph on asphalt?

I'm tempted to just return this stuff potentially as not sure I'm confident in soft armor.

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

When you land on asphalt, the impact is likely to be distributed over a wider area than your fist. The protector you have now is designed for the land-on-your-back type of impact, and will work very well in that instance.

3. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Dave is correct. The armor is not to protect you by using cushioning, but by dispersing load forces over a larger area. Generally when you are tossed from a bike, it's from a greater distance and more force than a fist could exert. In the case of back protectors, there should be some rigidity as well, in the instance you are hit by a peg or other protruding part of a machine.

T-Pro has been one of the better manufacturers of armor bits. I think you'll find they work well in the event of a crash.

4. Liren

Liren Sippy Cup Siren

I've crash tested my T-Pro chest protector and back protector. I'd have had cracked or broken ribs from my chest impacting the tank without it. I still felt a hit on my chest, but it didn't knock the wind out of me or anything. I don't feel comfortable riding without them now.

5. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

I'm no expert on the T-pro stuff it just sorta surprised me I felt an impact. It does fit good and it more flexible do to being soft than my older Dainese one. We'll see.

6. vimkgt

vimkgt Well-Known Member

Feeling an impact through soft armor should be expected. Not quite an accurate analogy but think of it this way... you still get hurt when you get punched wearing a soft bullet resistant vest, whereas if you wore a plastic plate you might not feel anything, but which one would you rather get shot wearing?