1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyatt Legal Plans

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Question for the all-knowing and wise beeb:

Have any of you signed up for one of these plans through their employer or other providing parties?

If you signed up for the plan, did you make use of it or derive any benefit from it?

Please describe the situations you used it for, if you feel comfortable doing so.

Thanks!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I use the BBS legal plan, so far so good :D

backbone and BigBird like this.
  3. Sean Jordan

But the price you pay....!

4. Sean Jordan

Really, nobody?

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

What the hell is it?

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Bought it once tried to use it found out it was worthless and a gimmick to steer you to the attorneys who pay to join. You get nothing for what you pay.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is this like Angie's List for lawyers?

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Many large businesses offer an EAP which provides a short term consultation with an attorney. Essentially it covers the first session and then the hope is that you retain them. Essentially it's sort of a give us a 30 minute for free chance to win your business.

My employees have access to attorneys for everything: divorce, willa, proprty issues. Anything.

Personally I have used it for a real estate issue. Not problems at all.

9. Sean Jordan

@Johnny B - it's a legal plan benefit that gives you access to "in network" attorneys for consultations and services that are covered by the plan.

So far I've seen very little negative criticism from anyone who has actually had it and used it. It's not going to get you through a murder trial, but if you need a letter written for a civil matter, a will or estate planning done, stuff like that, you can very easily recoup your annual investment. (~$250/year for me.)

Thought it sounded worth it, but wanted to get some first-hand feedback.

10. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

also covers traffic tickets

11. notbostrom

My exp was different. the consult is free but virtually anything beyond that or work done like a letter was std billable hours. I saw very little opportunity to recoup the cost.

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Oh. If they offered that plan at work, we'd all end up suing the boss!

I haven't used a lawyer in over thirty years.

13. notbostrom

in theory yes but travel and fees etc etc they will charge you will add up to more than hiring one of the ticket lawyers who have a decent track record... I promise you these plans are SHIT

14. Sean Jordan

I ended up signing up for it. My employer has dozens and dozens of attorneys and legal researchers with one group that strictly covers HR stuff and benefits. All of them are also union, which means they look at every benefit verrrrrry closely. (Washington-Baltimore Newspaper Guild - they're all reporters/editors.) They have access to wayyyy better information than I do about the program's value, so if they think it's worth it, I probably is.

I'm going to use it for the estate planning and wills, so I'll report back with my experiences.

15. Sean Jordan

Thanks @socal - I appreciate the specifics!

16. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

with a report card like that, whadaya need attorneys for anyway? ;-)

IMO people need to learn how to avoid the need for representation. who is attorney in fact for a legal name? you are, if its yours. (or it is your estate)

17. Sean Jordan

Well, they're attorneys, but they're not my attorneys. :D

I agree with you, but only in the sense that people need to learn how to avoid the need for a doctor. Don't do dumb shit and live a healthy lifestyle, etc. But for some things, you really are better off getting a qualified and informed opinion.

You were coherent right up until the end and then this happened. Long day?

18. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

I have personally used it for a speeding ticket and I paid zero and I was lucky enough to get the ticket dismissed. Also I know of many many of my coworkers who used it for tickets and paid zero legal fees. But your right, I dont know when I am talking about.

19. Sean Jordan

Well, @notbostrom clearly had a bad experience. We don't know the details, so it's hard to make a comparison, but hey! No one bats 1.000 (referring to the plan, not @notbostrom!)

20. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

actually, you "were"

obviously it depends on yous qualification/competency, try this.. who is capable of signing over a power of attorney?

to think one is their name is an identity crisis, one in which others can and do take full advantage of.