1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HVAC pricing?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, May 9, 2019.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this quote is reasonable... you?

"Install a Rheem 2 ton 13 seer air conditioner model #RA1324 to the existing furnace. Add a new cased coil. Reuse existing lineset, using a cleaner. Add new liquid line filter dryer and armaflex for outside suction line.
    Total Cost $ 2800.00
    Per Auditor’s website there is 1180 sq ft"

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What are you replacing? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will respond, but some older line sets are not ideal for newer units. I could be mistooken.

JBraun likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Hellifiknow... it's a green rectangle that produced cold air 20 years ago...

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Cheap. Probably too cheap.

Why are they reusing the lineset? Is it not accessible?

socalrider and Riders Discount like this.
  5. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Way too cheap. Reusing line set is typical if it's buried in the drywall or crawlspace or attic... Especial as they might be using the same reefer, ie r22 back into an r22 system. If they are switching to r410 for instance, then looking at the line size is a good idea.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ain't no R22 units being replaced with R22 unless they bought it out of a junkyard. He's gonna get new line sets. That's where they plan to jack the price up.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I dont know what the rest of 'murica does because out here in Kali we have been off the R22 units for 10+ years. I didnt want to assume. Regardless, ive bought some R22 dry units (not cheap) and used reclaimed R22 (VERY EXPENSIVE) when the lineset size wasnt going to work if i switched to a newer 410 unit.

still, its all way too cheap. I get great pricing on units (work for the largest non union mechanical in the US) and a 2 ton condenser and coil is going to come in right about 2k at my cost. maybe labor is super cheap out where OP... but most places mark up the material/equip 25% minimum.

8. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

That’s pretty low for ac and coil.. no reason to not replace the line sets unless you are in a condo and they go through a neighbors wall....
    Costs as much to flush as does for new lines done right. And then can be under a warranty
    Any legitimate company should offer a good warranty on the ac system.. rheem is not the highest quality...but if it’s going on old furnace/blower well...
    I see guys cut all kinds of corners to lower price- reuse cond. pump, not replace outside elec. disconnect, rag connection on plenum,

I would do line sets. Then they can the right size for 410 refrigerant my 2¢

But I’m not an HVAC guy

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Funny this popped up. I'm looking at replacing mine. 1200 sq ft two story end unit with an old AC and furnace. Looking for something inexpensive but decent and a quiet blower motor. Current furnace is a Weathermaker 8000. The guy I called said "We don't see many of those anymore!" Guessing it's time.

Are the variable speed blowers worth it? My return air register is in my living room and has about a 2 foot run before it hits the upflow air handler in the closet behind the wall. It's loud. I want quiet.

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Having issues with my HVAC unit again, as we're getting our first heat wave.

I kinda knew it was coming since I needed 2# of R22 added last summer to get it blowing cold air again, this time 1# was enough. Current unit is roughly 15 yrs old, Goodman, all in one type electric heat pump unit.

Tech that swung by yesterday recommended a York unit, have never heard of York and wanted to get some real-world feedback, anyone have one or dealt with one??? Says they offer 10 yr warranty on every part including labor, not sure if that's an industry standard or not?

I didn't get part numbers but I was quoted roughly $5600 for a 3T (not sure about the seer rating) all electric unit, roughly $5800 if I went with a gas unit and finally $6200 if I went with a dual energy unit. I kinda like the dual energy option, if I understood him correctly, it could be set up in a multitude of ways, ie... 40+* runs on electric, below that switches over to gas, etc...

I currently do NOT have gas at my home, however, we sorta priced it out from our local gas company who has a line across the street. Their price was reasonable I guess, we are setback nearly 160' off the road so it's slightly involved but would highly consider it if people in the know highly advise it???

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I’ll check back in with more info later but I’d steer clear of York.

My company installed Coleman for a minute which is the same UPG product with a different sticker. We had an unacceptable number of coil failures, both evaporator and condenser.

They may have rectified them, but their track record isn’t good. I will say, however, that they stood behind their warranty better than most.

XFBO likes this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'd also like to know about people's view on the variable speed blowers. Reason I ask is because for some reason my house wasn't zoned, so it's all one zone and the top floor is significantly warmer than the bottom all the time (good in winter, bad in summer). My understanding is that the variable speed blowers run 100% of the time so even out temperature differentials substantially (another reason I'm interested is because we're going to start using the basement more and I'd like that airflow to recirculate the air down there so it doesn't get "musty").

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'd defer to @JBraun on the ROI on a variable speed, I just leave the furnace blower running 24/7 for the circulation and filtration factor.

Power bill doesn't like me much for it. Think I'll put a current sense relay on it and timer so it runs for an hour every three when there's no call for heat/cool.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  14. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ive got an Aprilaire thermostat which has a circulation mode for the fan. It turns the fan on for 15 mins per hour I think. You need to LOOK for this feature in a thermostat cause its kinda rare.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, I'd love something like that which turned the fan on for 10 minutes every half hour or something. That would be the tits. I do what Mr. Egg does often and the electric bill goes up significantly.

16. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Mines Aprilaire model 8463. Its got the circulation mode, but for programmed schedules, it automatically adds 3 degrees when switching from heat to AC, and vice versa. That part stinks and makes the temp schedules worthless.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  17. Pretty much anything is going to be better than what you have. Goodman is absolute shite.

XFBO likes this.
  18. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

That equipment would only cost me around about 1K. If you mark it up 40% that leaves $1400 for labor and such. One guy a day. Sounds good all around.

19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

With major upgrades to HVAC hardware, if you are able, I would consider adding an economizer and strong filtration. An economizer is an air exchanger that retains the heat/cold of the conditioned air and transfers it to in new, incoming air from the outside. Strong filtration with help with dust, allergy crap, and pet hair.

20. I did some reading on this, and I’m going to take back what I wrote. Goodman has been the worst of the worst for years, but apparently York has managed to surpass them in suckitude.