1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HVAC people

Discussion in 'General' started by Schitzo42, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

In my office here at ${work} I have a Auto-Matrix thermostat thing on the wall. It has a sliding switch with settings of "cooler cool middle warm warmer" a button that says "override" and a red blinky light that goes solid read if hte override button is pressed and a switch that says disable/enable.

When the thing is on (which is really most all of the damn frelling time) it's like I'm working in a wind tunnel. Our properties folks suck and won't do anything about it. Is there a wire I can disconnect behind this faceplate that will just de-activate the thing from running?

-steve

2. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

There should be a few wires connected to a block on the t-stat. Should be able to take one or more off and kill it. There is no on/off slide at all?
    Find the fuse panel where that unit is connected and turn the breaker off.

One question though. How will that affect others in the office if at all?

3. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I'm the only one in the office and as far as I can tell it only controls the wind tunnel fan unit in here. So no one else will be affected. I don't have access to the fuse panel either. The t-stat has two three wire blocks in it. Once has a white, green, blue wire labeled grnd, led, s1. The other block has brown, black, red wires labeled t1, n-, n+.

-steve

4. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

is this what you have on your wall?

http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Auto-M...r-SBC-STAT1_W0QQitemZ7624384904QQcmdZViewItem

MOre than likely it is just a sensor forthe full system.

WHat is your building / office like?

BTW I am a Project manager ofr a HVAC contractor.

can you stick a piece of card board in the grill to block it off? IF so that will be your best bet also look in the grill and see if it is adjustable (if it have some aluminum blades you may be able to close it this way.

It sounds like the thing on the wall is just a sensor for the full control systems in the building and it only measures the temp. The slid bar I bet will only have a +- 3 degree adjustment (if it is on a control system) if the system isa multi zone (multiple areas that can b open orclosed as needed) your zone is set to be the dump zone. Any excess air will be sent there so as the other zones close it will not bolw up the duct. THis culd have been accomplished another way, just more expensive.

DIsconnecting the sensor will not accomplish this you need to get the other offices (with same sensors) to start to call for heat or cooling. RIght now your office is the only one that ahs a heat load, thus sending ir to you and only you.

Chris

5. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

Question: Is the issue only that the fan is constantly running thus creating the wind tunnel? Is there a vent in the ceiling? Anywhere for air to escape? Might need that.

Also, if this is because you are getting "cooling" and you don't want it, is there some type of heat source, like your monitor for example, under or near the t-stat matrix? The heat from that will make the t-stat call for cooling.

6. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a stat that controls a VAV box for your area.... Large unit on the roof serving many spaces but to give certain areas independent control they put small VAV boxes (most have a built in fan) to serve that area. You could pull the stat and disconnect but make sure not to touch the wires together and tape them up so they don't short out.

Or like what was suggested see if you can close or block off the supply.

7. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

The fan must run at all times for code requirements.

The system in your office opperates like this.
    ac unit runs at all times, the different zones will open and cloese as needed based on the t-stat sensors calling, If no zoneis calling the air has to go somewhere. Ic cna either have a bypass built into the duct to direct it directly into the return or into a space where it can be picked up by a return inthe ceiling or wall.

Where is the air coming from that hits you? Is there a grill in the ceiling or something like that?

Yes a monitor will cause the sensors to open or close the zones. but it needes to be near the sensor. You could try to breath on them and see if that works, it would be a temp fix but it would show ytou are on the right track.

8. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

It's one of these pieces of crap :

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=THE3C000136&Category_Code=t-zone

The vents in the ceiling are about an inch/inch-and-a-half wide with an aluminum blade in it that has been attempted to be rotated closed all the way. It still puts a wind tunnel like breeze out. It'll randomly decide to blow warm or cold air depending on what the mood of the thing is. It'll fire on (like it just did blowing cold air) and blow air for 8 to 10 minutes, shut off for a minute or so and then crank back up again blowing either warm or cold air.

Crispy476, what you said about the +- 3 degree thing is what the properties department dude said too, but there was nothing said about making the fan not be the equivalent to the Lockheed wind tunnel, nor not having it run all the f'n time.

-steve

9. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

The vents are in the ceiling. Duct tape will be coming with me next time I come to the office to cover them over.

-steve

10. TwoRs

TwoRs Well-Known Member

The supply diffuser you describe is called a slot diffuser. Most likely it has a long box on top of one section of this slot above the ceiling on all or part of it, with round flex duct connecting to the box with a damper and a collar. One part may be the supply and the open part could be the return, the supply is what you want to control and in most all jobs there is an in line volume control damper that is manually adjustable.

It sounds like your office needs the manual damper adjusted...easy to do with a ladder if you have a drop ceiling... if it is a hard finished ceiling that can be a problem.

Find the maintenance man standing around and buy him a burger, bribe him with something...money well spent. Tell him you need the manual damper adjusted to control the air your office. His cell number gives you direct contact without going thru the property manager dispatch system. The guys are normally under paid and like to talk. If you have already pissed him off then that could be a problem.
    :beer: