1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irene: Oh shit.....

Discussion in 'General' started by Rain Director, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Pace. :Poke:

Just razzin ya... even people that misquote Hamlet shouldn't lose their houses. :(

Here's hoping all's well upon your return.

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

You want it to be fast.

Listening to New Jersey and New York folks talkin hurricane is kinda funny. Hurricanes have southern accents. :D

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I seem to recall some numbnuts in Maryland with a backhoe taking out the beeb for a couple days awhile back... I presume measures have been taken to keep Irene from knocking it offline? :wow:

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

FPL is sending major support to the effected areas. I had to run to south Florida today, and I passed convoy after convoy of FPL utility trucks on there way north. I guess you could call it returning the favor.:beer:

I was without power for nearly 30 days after Francis and Jeanne, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

From Yahoo's news page:

A steady rain fell on the boardwalk at Ocean City, Md., where a small amusement park was shut down and darkened — including a ride called the Hurricane. Businesses were boarded up, many painted with messages like "Irene don't be mean!"

Charlie Koetzle, 55, who has lived in Ocean City for a decade, came to the boardwalk in swim trunks and flip-flops to look at the sea. While his neighbors and most everyone else had evacuated, Koetzle said he told authorities he wasn't leaving. To ride out the storm, he had stocked up with soda, roast beef, peanut butter, tuna, nine packs of cigarettes and a detective novel.

Of the storm, he said: "I always wanted to see one."

His list of crucial items :crackup:

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Hurricane and earthquake......both......in less than a week. Not your typical occurances in the northeast corridor.

8. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

:eek:

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Got a tree down on the property in Greensboro, some family in Raleigh has no power, more family east of Raleigh has a tree on the house.

46th and Broadway Live cams (Click on "see more cams" to cycle thru)
    http://earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?cam=fridays

If you've ever been there you know how eery it is to see Times Square empty especially on a Saturday night! Looks like a zombie movie. Judging by the audio there is a hurricane party in full effect nearby.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  10. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i went to southwick yesterday to deliver decals to dean wilson, i stayed for the first motos but it was raining pretty hard esp for the 250 moto, i left, drove back in on and off rain, woke up at 2 on the couch to high winds and heavy rains, (left my garage door open!) woke up this morning to power outages, flashes on and off, high winds heavy downpours, i heard they evacuated south wilkes barre, i'd like to get some stuff done today but the power is iffy

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rain Director, how'd you make out?

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Starting to get very windy here in NH but winds shouldn't be over 65.
    The problem is we've had so much rain the ground is saturated so sustained high winds are going to pull trees out of the ground. I've got a 90' pine tree just 12' from my house that's making me a little nervous. I'm surrounded by trees anyway so something's bound to come down. Luckily I'm on high ground so flooding won't affect me. I hope the power and cable lasts until after the GP at 2:00.

13. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Still not back there. Here is a quote from a news report:

Delaware has lifted the evacuation order for coastal residents and is allowing businesses to reopen as Hurricane Irene leaves the state.

Clear as mud. You can open you business, you can return to your home, but Da Guv still has not lifted travel general restrictions that allows me to drive mayor roads without getting a ticket. Typical Delaware.

Have reports from a friend just outside evacuation zone that my house is still there and does not appear to have shifted off the foundation. Debris line is below the living area. He saw other being stopped by the State Police for driving, but he was not stopped.

My garage is significantly lower than the house and always gets water during nor'easters. I expect I will be finally getting rid of stuff that I no longer use.

At least I do not have to pull the house from the bay.

Yo, Tom Cutter: Hope you are higher than the expected flood crest for the river.

Be safe, IYC

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You need anything, give me a yell.

15. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

If that works, I have the GPS co-ordinates of a house in Loveland Colorado a Tornado can park itself over for a day or so :D

16. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Dave:

A pound of hundred dollar bills, sliced thin, would be most excellent, thank you. That and a gar-run-teed zombie-killing gun.

I'll settle for a pack of Marlboro lights, a bottle of Knob Creek and a crack at watching the Indy GP on TV at my place. ;)

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Next time I see you, I'll get you the booze and the smokes. :)

18. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

19. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

About 45 minutes in. Too many low lying areas around, though - the type that flood when storm drains get blocked in spring showers.

I'm guessing we received about 9 inches of rain from 1700 yesterday to 0700 this morning based on crude measurements (height of water in a standing bucket) - not as bad as a I thought, but we're still screwed flood-wise.

Luckily power's already getting restored in some areas - though the wind is still kicking pretty good.

20. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member