1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Ida

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Aug 28, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

there's a creek behind me, which is basically drainage from the road, and is actually what "flooded" the pool and garage. so that will be pumped back to it's origin

dobr24 likes this.
  2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! Im sorry to hear and like Sweaty said, never thought of such an issue with a pool.

BigBird likes this.
  3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We had a couple tornadoes touchdown close by, and some roofs get torn off etc. Luckily not us this time again.Thoughts out to any of y’all impacted

4. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

The levees were rebuilt stronger so that helped - I heard only one collapsed due to Ida
    Ida was a bigger storm overall but her strongest area was only 10 miles wide. Katrina's strongest area was 100 miles wide. Supposedly that's the difference with the level of destruction.
    My sis lives in Slidell - north of Lake P and does not have power, canal rose to just over the dock, about 3 feet and small roof damage.

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

The center of Ida came over my house in CT around 11pm last night. I pulled up the radar app and my little blue dot was right under the red storm cell center. We got a lot of rain but our terrain has most of that draining really well so no major flooding around me. Way more wind and rain than we got from Henri 2 weeks ago for sure.

BigBird likes this.
  6. speedluvn

Thanks for that info.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The smartest people I know are in the trades, definitely not white collar and academics.

8. speedluvn

I once heard a saying that, "those that can't do, teach". I didnt really understand the phrase when I first heard it. It means so much more now that Ive been in the work force and dealing with academia.

baconologist likes this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ouch. But after 25 years as a teacher, not inaccurate.

Sadly wasn’t always that way.

11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

its a stupid saying, meant to imply that people who suck or can't hack it at something resort to teaching, and thus are lesser skilled at that thing, and teaching is the consolation prize populated by sub-par idiots and almost-made-its. it IS inaccurate, and annoys me personally (I'm not a teacher). some people find it valiant to give back to their community, or profession, or the next generation. It is an admirable profession. Some people also may be good at something, and have zero idea how to explain themselves or what they do, and are idiot savants or just naturally talented, but they themselves had to learn from somewhere. The idea that you can't learn something from somebody unless they're better than you at it, or that somebody who can't perform as good as you cannot possibly have insight or something to contribute to that profession or sport, is totally absurd.

my number one example of that would be Cus D'Amato and Freddie Roach and what they have helped produce.

speedluvn likes this.
  12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Correction - should have said not “totally” inaccurate.

You make valid points. Did not mean to imply all teachers are useless (which of course would be shooting myself in the foot to some degree:D).

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

no I know, but its a general American sentiment, and perpetuated by a lot of fucking assholes, and it just personally really annoys the shit out of me for some reason, and is also part of the reason our teachers, in general, get paid and treated like shit instead of held up as admirable.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

As bad as that would suck at least everyone was OK

Sweatypants likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I disagree with the general perception that teachers are treated like shit. Just as all teachers are not incompetent, not all teachers are deserving admiration. In terms of treatment/pay, the same could be said for many other professions. Careers are a choice. Choose with your eyes open.

Banditracer and Rebel635 like this.
  16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Indoctrinators get held up as the ultimate in sacrifice all the time.

Yet I don't get discounts. I worked after all hours to improve my skills also. I don't have a pension. My retirement does not include medical. My retirement is not after so many years. I work 12 months of the year. Tenure :crackup::crackup::crackup::beer:. Incredibly it is such a sucky job that people keep choosing it.

Yep the profession just above purgatory.:Pop:

Rebel635 likes this.
  17. speedluvn

Ive attended a couple of graduate level courses. Ive attended a class that was facilitated by a PhD. That facilitator was providing just the basic knowledge. The same semester, with an adjunct professor, who was facilitating part-time and it wasnt their main gig. This professor was much more detailed in the classroom because he could convey his points much better with real world experience.

18. speedluvn

In your early twenties? Thats not always the case. You may enter a field with grand illusions but after a while you begin to see the forest.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

While I might agree with this had you entered your field before the internet, I would not now. It does not take a lot of effort anymore to do at least basic research into cost of education and salary expectations. If you don't know what career you want to pursue, don't waste money, work for a few years before incurring mountains of debt.

britx303 likes this.
  20. speedluvn

It often takes a period of time for you realize that a chosen profession might not be for you. Career changes are becoming more common.